Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

E-tron order status change

Old 12-04-2018, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-tron order status change

My e-tron Edition One status has changed from "Reservation Confirmed" to "Review your configuration". The configuration will then lock on December 30th. If all goes well, the dealer delivery is said to be 5 to 7 months from that date.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Same here. Very much looking forward to taking delivery in Q2.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My status changed to "review your configuration" with a lock date of December 30 also, which is a pleasant surprise as mine is not an Edition One version.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had contacted Audi earlier just to check on my reservation. Just as an FYI and as you might expect, they are keeping close track of when the orders arrived so they can set the delivery accordingly. My reservation was received at 8:07am on September 15th. I assume that they also have the accompanying seconds as well. Also, it is my understanding that some Audi dealerships will have a traveling etron for people to see this month.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

I also got the December 30th configuration lock date. I was more surprised when, last night, I got a call from my salesman saying that my e-tron is now scheduled to be built on January 27!

No indication, however, of when it will actually be received by the dealer. I did point out to my salesman that January 27, 2019 is a Sunday. He didn't seem concerned about that. Maybe it means the vehicle will be built during the week starting January 27.

In any case, this may mean that U.S deliveries may start earlier than I expected. I had been expecting to receive my e-tron in either May or June 2019.

Last edited by LRSIII; 12-15-2018 at 11:06 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-15-2018, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

It looks like US arrivals may not be until Q3. If this turns out to be the case, I wonder if the e-tron will be designated a 2020 model?
Old 12-15-2018, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by LRSIII
No indication, however, of when it will actually be received by the dealer. I did point out to my salesman that January 27, 2019 is a Sunday. He didn't seem concerned about that. Maybe it means the vehicle will be built during the week starting January 27..
Factory works 24/7 except holidays as far as I know. They have several shifts and as long as there is demand, cars are built around the clock. During times of low demand they tend to shut the factory for some time. Happened a few years ago while I was in Germany. I had a factory tour scheduled and the Friday before they announced short notice that the factory will be closed for the week and the tour obviously got cancelled.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by porttac
According to an Audi spokesperson, the company needs to obtain new “regulatory clearance,” after some of the vehicle’s software was “modified during the development process,” and as a result, vehicle will take a bit longer to reach showrooms. Reuters cites a report from German paper Bild am Sonntag, which say that the vehicle could be delayed by several months. The paper also noted that Audi was working to negotiate with South Korean battery supplier LG Chem, which wants to boost prices because of high demand.

Is this an institutional problem

Who knows? All of the reports I've seen on these supposed "software modifications" have been quite vague. We don't know what they entail. It should be noted that the U.S. and Europe have quite different safety and emissions regulatory schemes. Europe has "type approval," where the vehicle must be approved by regulators before offered for sale. The U.S. is quite different; the U.S. has "self certification," where the manufacturer says it meets applicable standards and the regulatory authorities may ask for data backing that up or they may do their own tests if they believe a manufacturer may have been less than completely truthful in its self certification. In any case, there's little "regulatory clearance" before a manufacturer can offer a vehicle for sale in the United States.

If U.S.-spec vehicles really are being scheduled for production in January 2019, I'd be pretty surprised if Audi plans to hold them in a parking lot for 6 months before delivering them to the United States. I doubt I'll be accepting a vehicle that's been just sitting in a parking lot that long. Maybe U.S. customers will get their vehicles before European customers? Or maybe the production date provided to my Audi dealer is completely wrong.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by LRSIII
Who knows? All of the reports I've seen on these supposed "software modifications" have been quite vague. We don't know what they entail. It should be noted that the U.S. and Europe have quite different safety and emissions regulatory schemes. Europe has "type approval," where the vehicle must be approved by regulators before offered for sale. The U.S. is quite different; the U.S. has "self certification," where the manufacturer says it meets applicable standards and the regulatory authorities may ask for data backing that up or they may do their own tests if they believe a manufacturer may have been less than completely truthful in its self certification. In any case, there's little "regulatory clearance" before a manufacturer can offer a vehicle for sale in the United States.

If U.S.-spec vehicles really are being scheduled for production in January 2019, I'd be pretty surprised if Audi plans to hold them in a parking lot for 6 months before delivering them to the United States. I doubt I'll be accepting a vehicle that's been just sitting in a parking lot that long. Maybe U.S. customers will get their vehicles before European customers? Or maybe the production date provided to my Audi dealer is completely wrong.
Given the car is fully electric, there can't be any real hold up due to emissions but perhaps scrutiny on the stated range and such. Audi/VW are under huge scrutiny in the USA due to the diesel scandal. Many 2019 models are delayed. Some have been sitting at the port from as early as August or something like that and still haven't been released. I was surprised to see the Q8 already hitting the showrooms. Not sure how it got through this fast, but folks are waiting on receiving their 2019 models and all they are being told is that they are either sitting at the port in the USA or still at the port in Germany or production is being delayed.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by porttac
According to an Audi spokesperson, the company needs to obtain new “regulatory clearance,” after some of the vehicle’s software was “modified during the development process,” and as a result, vehicle will take a bit longer to reach showrooms. Reuters cites a report from German paper Bild am Sonntag, which say that the vehicle could be delayed by several months. The paper also noted that Audi was working to negotiate with South Korean battery supplier LG Chem, which wants to boost prices because of high demand.

Is this an institutional problem
This is old news, reported originaly on October 23rd, confirmed by Audi only four weeks delay to the original schedule.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: E-tron order status change