Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

E-Tron Real World Range

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default E-Tron Real World Range

Bjorn tested the E-Tron in his typical 90 km/h test and found the winter time range to be 330 km or 205 Miles. He also discovered the E-tron is using 82.6 kWh of the 95kWh battery pack, so as I suspected there is a large buffer. Bjorn said he expected the E-tron will have about 400 km or 250 mile range in the summer with dry roads, which is better than I expected.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Good to hear!
Old 01-29-2019, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

Watched all five videos and I have to say, Bjørn surprised me with his objectivity and newfound appreciation for luxury. Too bad he couldn't get down to the Ionity charger. 150KW charging would have been impressive to see. For -5C, winter tires, and contaminated roads, that 205 figure is acceptable and better than I had feared. The battery temperature management seems top notch.

I think he put me over the top on purchasing

Last edited by LavaGrau_A3; 01-29-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by LavaGrau_A3
Watched all five videos and I have to say, Bjørn surprised me with his objectivity and newfound appreciation for luxury. Too bad he couldn't get down to the Ionity charger. 150KW charging would have been impressive to see. For -5C, winter tires, and contaminated roads, that 205 figure is acceptable and better than I had feared. The battery temperature management seems top notch.

I think he put me over the top on purchasing

I agree he was objective... He pointed out a couple flaws that Audi needs to get a handle on, first the annoying rattle, that came and went. Also the charging plug sticking is an issue. I am also wondering about Audi's regen configuration? Hmm, seems a bit clunkier than I was expecting.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

Really, for an early car, things worked pretty flawlessly. It looks like the draw from running the auxiliary air conditioning kept the charge cord from disconnecting. In another scene, he has the normal heater working while recharging, so maybe some confusion.

Would be nice to have true one pedal driving. I enjoyed that setting on my iPace drive, but then again, the brake feel wasn't linear or smooth on that car so it was a great alternative.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by LavaGrau_A3
Really, for an early car, things worked pretty flawlessly. It looks like the draw from running the auxiliary air conditioning kept the charge cord from disconnecting. In another scene, he has the normal heater working while recharging, so maybe some confusion.

Would be nice to have true one pedal driving. I enjoyed that setting on my iPace drive, but then again, the brake feel wasn't linear or smooth on that car so it was a great alternative.

Yes, E-Tron was great for an initial press car, I was just commenting that Audi should not let their guard down, and should rush to fix those little quibbles. The EV premium segment marketshare is ripe for the picking.

I am with you on the 1 pedal driving, although I-Pace 1 pedal is not great if you need to come to a complete stop, or with a full charge. Agree with you having driven I-pace a couple times, the brake pedal feel is a bit quirky.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Driving on the highways in my state at 55mph (90km/h) isn't exactly ideal with a posted speed limit of 80mph. So, using the consumption values he gave for 120km/h (32.1kwh/100km) and the 82.6kwh capacity, the range at 75mph is about 160 miles. At 65mph, range is estimated at 190 miles. Of course, I doubt I'm going to be happy arriving at the charger or my destination with 0% state of charge so the realistic range is likely 5-10% lower than the ranges we've mentioned. Any headwind will cause a reduction too so real-world range is going to be tough in the winter.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by alexlear
Driving on the highways in my state at 55mph (90km/h) isn't exactly ideal with a posted speed limit of 80mph. So, using the consumption values he gave for 120km/h (32.1kwh/100km) and the 82.6kwh capacity, the range at 75mph is about 160 miles. At 65mph, range is estimated at 190 miles. Of course, I doubt I'm going to be happy arriving at the charger or my destination with 0% state of charge so the realistic range is likely 5-10% lower than the ranges we've mentioned. Any headwind will cause a reduction too so real-world range is going to be tough in the winter.
I agree, out in Montana in the wintertime is no place for any EV if you are going far. That being said, I think the 205 miles range for the E-Tron on 255 wide winter tires, and slushy wet roads at 23 F is right in the hunt. Looking at 82.6 kWh is 2.5 mi/kWh is not terrible. Bjorn estimated in the summer the car will have 400km or 250 mile range, which is right in the hunt at 3 mi/kWh which is Tesla Model X territory. Kim from Like Tesla recently said her Model X in Atlanta (nearly optimal climate for an EV) was averaging + or - 430 wh/mi since new... That is no 3 miles per kWh... Most CA I-Paces are getting around 2.25 mi/kWh Bjorn Nyland compares all cars at 90 km/h because he figures that strikes the best balance for Norway drivers. He is usually pretty close to EPA numbers, but of course the E-Tron will be off because of the wet winter testing, and snow tires. I am more confident now, E-Tron will get about 240 miles EPA, and 23 banana boxes is awesome, ahead of current Model S, and X- 7 seat.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-ETRON
I am more confident now, E-Tron will get about 240 miles EPA, and 23 banana boxes is awesome, ahead of current Model S, and X- 7 seat.
Somebody posted in another thread that he believes that the EPA range will be 225 miles.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by perlfather
Somebody posted in another thread that he believes that the EPA range will be 225 miles.
225 miles of EPA range would not surprise me, but I am thinking 240 is very possible, even likely. Audi has a lot of battery capacity in buffer, they could easily open up more kWh with software. I am sure they are testing that as in Bjorn's test they only used 82.6 kWh of a 95 kWh pack. Over 10% safety factor is very conservative, even for Audi.

Quick Reply: E-Tron Real World Range