Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Electrify America Location Disscussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ted99
I wonder what would have happened if VW had not cheated on the diesel emissions? We certainly would not be having a rapid rollout of charging stations, nationwide. So, VW has had it's Tesla moment, by making lemonade from it's diesel lemons and paying it's penalty in the form of a marketing enabler for it's forthcoming electric cars. I think it'll turn out to be absolute genius.
I've thought the same thing. Dieselgate was terrible, VW illegally polluted the world, and VW/Audi employees have gone to jail. Pivoting to EVs from diesel is probably a best case scenario for them.

On another note, I want to give credit where it's due. The e-tron (and all other long range EVs) wouldn't exist today without Tesla trailblazing likely the biggest shift in automotive history. (I'm not counting the EVs in the early 1900s)

Teslas supercharger design was introduced before CCS when there was no high power alternative. It's not that they were trying to exclude anyone, they were simply solving the biggest weakness that EVs had at that time, which was long range travel. Its also been made clear that the supercharger network is available to other EV manufacturers if they provide investment in to the network. Because of the $2B fine/settlement, I think it made sense for VW to set up its own charging network. I think its also good for us as this provides a form of competition not available before. Also, we know that superchargers have an upgrade coming in the form of V3 (no details, though). Its likely that this will provide higher voltage and current output capabilities. If there was ever a time to add CCS, this would be it.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ted99
The smartest thing Tesla did was to include "free" charging at the introduction of it's car, and then to provide metro charging sites. It absolutely hooked the early adopters. EA is the next step in the process of moving electric cars to the mainstream. I wonder what would have happened if VW had not cheated on the diesel emissions? We certainly would not be having a rapid rollout of charging stations, nationwide. So, VW has had it's Tesla moment, by making lemonade from it's diesel lemons and paying it's penalty in the form of a marketing enabler for it's forthcoming electric cars. I think it'll turn out to be absolute genius.

Yes, Tesla did what it had to do in the beginning. Unfortunately now I think all that free charging plugs up the network (especially in CA), and puts a drag on Tesla's bottom line. Tesla changing the Model 3 to CCS is Europe makes it obvious they are hoping to have car sales get ahead of charger build out, and save some capital, but at the same time, people will figure out CCS is growing much faster then the Tesla network, causing Tesla to lose a nice mote. This and the dream of self driving is really all Tesla has to justify their pricing premium, as those two dreams die, so goes Tesla IMO.

Yes, VW is making a genius move with the lemons they had to work with. If they paid this 2B in fines instead of investing, they would have no chance to get it back, this way, they get to have a charging network that people pay a lot to use, someday it will turn an operational profit, and start to pay VW back, but in the mean time, it gets the VW group past that nagging question to sell EV's, "Where is your charging network"?
Old 02-17-2019, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tom-ETRON
OK, Electrify America claims to have nearly 500 fast charge locations chosen, and complete, or in design / construction. I have been following this very closely in the NW USA region and have managed to make some connections inside to gather insight to what is coming. I regularly visit the construction sites, and talk to the contractors doing the work (bringing them donuts releases a massive amount of information). I have also been fortunate enough to run into EA's staff members a few times. What I have found out is really cool, first VW is absolutely serious about building the most broad charging network in the USA over the next 7 years. Currently EA is showing + or - 240 stations on their interactive maps that is only about 50% of the stations in process as part of Cycle 1, so where are the other ones? I have dug up info on a few locations including Yakima, Kelso, Federal Way, Lynnwood, Ritzville (although new information says this site might have been moved to Moses Lake?), Marysville, Woodinville, Burlington, Seattle (Northgate?) total I count 17 stations in WA state as part of Cycle 1. This is pretty amazing for Cycle 1, as Tesla currently only has 14 supercharger locations in WA state with 3 more in for permits (supercharge.info). Electrify America is hitting the core area around the cities harder, and Tesla is stronger on the highway system. I like Tesla's location in Cle Elum better than Ellensburg, and also Tesla's location in Leavenworth opens a new corridor for Tesla vehicles. Amazingly, neither company has plotted a course for us to go watch the laser show at Grand Coulee, and celebrate nearly carbon free energy production (Although Moses Lake gets us close). Near the Seattle core and I-5 corridor Electrify America will already surpass Tesla in convenience with just the cycle 1 investment, and amazingly this region is a priority for Cycle 2 investments as well, starting towards the end of this year. Hopefully Highways 101, 2, and 82 get more attention.

I am attaching Electrify America's newly released map, where they show Cycle 1 chargers as green circles, and then a version fo the same map I enlarged and marked up. I hope they have many of these stations live by the time E-Tron arrives in the summer, so we can all take some EV road trips in the new ride...

, but

Tracked down another location that is submitted for permit... Issaquah... Another day, another fast charger in the neighborhood.
ELECTRIFY AMERICA WA200207 ISSAQUAH TARGET T0996
Install (1) utility transformer; (1) switchgear assembly; (3) 150kw BTC power units; (3) 150kw BTC dispensers; (1) Level 2 charger; (1) pedestrian light pole and fixture.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tom-ETRON
Tracked down another location that is submitted for permit... Issaquah... Another day, another fast charger in the neighborhood.
ELECTRIFY AMERICA WA200207 ISSAQUAH TARGET T0996
Install (1) utility transformer; (1) switchgear assembly; (3) 150kw BTC power units; (3) 150kw BTC dispensers; (1) Level 2 charger; (1) pedestrian light pole and fixture.
Thanks! Great location and plenty of food options available in addition to Target for shopping.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a stupid question. What's the cost for charging? I just started considering to pre-order the e-tron Quattro SUV. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by Keyser Wi
I have a stupid question. What's the cost for charging? I just started considering to pre-order the e-tron Quattro SUV. Thanks in advance.
https://www.electrifyamerica.com/pricing
Old 02-22-2019, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Keyser Wi
You should expect about 30 minutes for a 0-80% charge. Charging beyond 80% is slower and gets increasingly more expensive per kwh.

Your charging at home may be a bit cheaper. My power is about $0.12/kwh. So, if EA is $11.50 to 80%, my home power is about $8 for the same charge (albeit much slower). There's no financial penalty to charging past 80% at home. I'm not considering different rates for time-of-day charging.

Last edited by alexlear; 02-22-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks @SCarGuy . Thanks @alexlear
Old 06-03-2019, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

This only applies to people that live in the Northwest but I'm happy to report that an EA station was added to the Map at Ritzville, WA. This is an important addition to I-90 and it now completely covers I-90 from the coast to Montana at full posted highway speed (up to 80mph), both summer and winter.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by alexlear
This only applies to people that live in the Northwest but I'm happy to report that an EA station was added to the Map at Ritzville, WA. This is an important addition to I-90 and it now completely covers I-90 from the coast to Montana at full posted highway speed (up to 80mph), both summer and winter.

I told you that was coming a long time ago, you doubted me? Moses Lake coming too...

Quick Reply: Electrify America Location Disscussion