Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Energy consumption values

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-ETRON
Are you excited to test out Audi's brake by wire?
Yes. I prefer to have less regen (coasting) but I don't want to give up regen when I stop. My current car (Volt) switches to friction brakes too early if I am in "D" with less regen. Driving in "L" with max regen gives good one pedal driving but pedal modulation can be tricky (plus the brake lights don't activate until I actually press the brake). The Audi system should allow my to choose no/less regen and still get full regen (up to the 0.3g) without friction brakes. I don't fully understand the automatic features of the Audi braking system yet. I've heard it described in various articles and videos but its never been clear to me how it functions. I've also heard that it can use the camera system to help decide optimal braking. Do you have any good links to a description of how the system actually works?
Old 12-22-2018, 09:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by alexlear
Yes. I prefer to have less regen (coasting) but I don't want to give up regen when I stop. My current car (Volt) switches to friction brakes too early if I am in "D" with less regen. Driving in "L" with max regen gives good one pedal driving but pedal modulation can be tricky (plus the brake lights don't activate until I actually press the brake). The Audi system should allow my to choose no/less regen and still get full regen (up to the 0.3g) without friction brakes. I don't fully understand the automatic features of the Audi braking system yet. I've heard it described in various articles and videos but its never been clear to me how it functions. I've also heard that it can use the camera system to help decide optimal braking. Do you have any good links to a description of how the system actually works?
I do not have any good technical data on how it works, and did not know about it using the camera other then leveraging the Mobileye system for automatic emergency braking. As it has been explained to me, the brake by wire system will allow a person new to EV get in and drive it like a conventional car with an automatic transmission, and achieve better efficiency numbers than a great number of regular EV drivers trying to 1 pedal drive.

Nice, I like the Volt, and wish GM would have put that VOLTEC system in other vehicles. Sad to hear there are going to cancel the program, but I guess the car was not the financial success GM needed it to be. I think either GM is going to surprise us soon with an EV program, or they are totally asleep at the wheel, and just counting on the trucks and suv's to keep them going? I hope it is the first option.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

This article has braking system information and mentions the predictive efficiency assistant which includes the camera.

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news...-braking-test/

Some info here too:
https://www.e-tron.audi/en/well-conn...-systems-10678

Last edited by alexlear; 12-22-2018 at 10:17 PM.