Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi e-Tron
Reload this Page >

EPA Range Released: 204 miles

Audi e-Tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-Tron SUV.

EPA Range Released: 204 miles

Old 04-14-2019, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by alexlear View Post
I would love that option C but I'm not convinced Audi will do it because they will want you to buy a new car instead. If there's a compelling battery breakthrough available to a wide market, we might see this from a 3rd party pack producer at a premium price but only if the e-tron sells in large quantities and doesn't change form factor. There's probably a good chance this will happen for Tesla vehicles for this reason. In the early day of the Prius there were kits to put in a larger battery and make it a plug-in Prius.

There isn't much precedent for this. People don't usually put a newer engine in their ICE cars because at the point they're ready for this, the rest of the car is failing, unsafe, or lacks new tech.
Perfect case for this is the BMW i3. There have been two battery upgrades since introduction in 2014. First: 50% increase. Second: 100% increase. No change in form factor, chargers or engine management. NO offers from BMW to upgrade in the USA. All that is needed is a battery change. In warranty repairs, my battery pack on my 2014 was removed and replaced twice. Only two ferrous steel parts on the car, apart from fasteners. The remainder is carbon fiber, plastic and aluminium so the platform has an indefinite service life. New battery pack is a drop-in for the old battery pack, but no offers for change out from BMW. A firmware update would probably be needed. No third party suppliers for a battery. Are there any original battery packs available as spares- a battery must be kept charged once fabricated so I would guess not. The warranty is for 70% capacity after 8 years. If this gets triggered by a car, will BMW swap out with the new one? Who knows? Future? Who knows.

Last edited by ted99; 04-14-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default you are getting a bargain!

Originally Posted by DMcDnald View Post
However, with rapid improvements in battery tech and batteries getting cheaper to build, maybe you'd want to replace it (swap it out) with a significantly better battery with much better range in 5ish years. Who know?
I do not see a rapid increase in battery power/weight ratio. Things are improving but there is nothing out there that will give you 50% or more in 1 or 2 years. Charging speed is increasing for sure due to improvements in the anodes. (There is no known path to an equivalent energy transfer compared to an ICE).
I am told by a knowledgable insider that cars like the e-tron are at the moment heavily subsidized. (costs a lot more to manufacture than an equivalent Q8 for example) This insider said that, at the moment, the cost of the e-tron battery probably exceeds $15k!
Old 04-14-2019, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Regarding OTA: Audi talked about their "Functions on Demand" in Las Vegas - If they can enable features in minutes. they can also push firmware the same way.
https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/...11175/download
Old 04-14-2019, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by LavaGrau_A3 View Post
IMO, the e-tron is what it is. Buying one in the hopes that Audi will dramatically improve it later isn't realistic. Minor tweaks maybe, major improvements are unlikely.
This.

It will improve, but don't buy on the speculation that it will. Likely not the vehicle you take delivery of in 2019, but newer models in 2021.

Originally Posted by ted99 View Post
Perfect case for this is the BMW i3. There have been two battery upgrades since introduction in 2014.
As a BMW 2014 i3 owner, I can say first hand the range wasn't good enough, which is why ours is a REX (gas engine to charge the battery and increase range ~50 miles). BMW improved the range as it wasn't competitive with other newer vehicles, and because it wasn't good enough. It now has sufficient range for them to drop the REX option from the lineup.

Our strategy is to look at the 5 worst things about a car, and see if any are deal breakers. In the case of the eTron our worst list is

1. Range (<210mi)
2. eMPG (how much it will cost per mile which is more then Tesla and a BMW i3)
3. Weight (which related to acceleration speed)
4. Lack of software improvement (OTA won't improve lane-keeping + ACC, or other functions)
5. weak automated driving (2014 vision system for lane-keeping and ACC)

None of these are deal breakers for us.