Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

First Commute in an Edition One: Initial Range Readings

Old 05-03-2019, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default First Commute in an Edition One: Initial Range Readings

So, just wanted to share my initial commute with the group, to start seeing what real world range is going to be.

Edition one vehicle.

Just over 19 miles one way; 12 miles on interstate and 7 miles in town.

I fully charged car last night (100%), and as I pulled out of the garage, it read 204 miles range. A/C was on, charging my cell phone, and using Sirius XM (so, not really trying to "conserve" energy, but wanted to evaluate a "regular" drive). No lights.

19 miles later, the range read 180, so the car "used" more than 19 miles of range (ie, used 24 miles of range). Of interest is the fact that the range dropped almost immediately (ie, 1 block away from the house) from 204 to 201.

So, maybe because the car is new it is still trying to figure things out, but I'll keep a close eye on what the actual range ends up to me. Interested in other owners real world experience.

Any other thoughts?
Old 05-03-2019, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the info!

The consumption (wh/mile or miles/wh) and average speed values are helpful. They indicate what efficiency you are getting vs what it thinks you'll get. The car will slowly start to predict range better for your driving, however, if you change your driving behavior suddenly (long highway trip), it may not be accurate. Range estimates in EVs are commonly called GOM (guess-o-meter) for this reason.

Congratulations on the new car!

Last edited by alexlear; 05-03-2019 at 05:25 AM.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Also, unless you need the increased daily range. It's recommended to set the charge % stop point to 70-80% (see manual). This will limit battery degradation and help keep max range. Charging to 100% before long trips is fine though.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Edition one owner here too. I picked mine up two days ago and my range read 234 miles on 91% charge. I thought that the range was down to 204. Is that the driving range? Or if the car is fully charged, it would still show 240+ But would eventually drop to 200 miles or so during real world driving?

vinny

Last edited by vinnysca; 05-03-2019 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Rearranging picture
Old 05-03-2019, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Depending on driving style and the conditions, you may get a higher range than 204 (or lower). The range estimate is just that, an estimate. If you just picked up the car recently, it's going to need some sample miles to calibrate to your driving style and estimate more accurately.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll try to post those parameters at lunch time.

I only charged to 100% because this was the first time; I'll set it to 80% in the future (or for a long trip).

I see your 234 range in your picture; mine was definitely only 204 when I started this morning (so I'm a little disappointed). How much have your driven your car?
Old 05-03-2019, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mmulet
If your driving style over that commute was representative of your normal usage, you can divide the usable battery capacity 83,600 watt-hours by your average consumption (in watt-hours per mile). That will estimate your range in miles (to 100%->0%) based on those driving conditions. It's also usually best to include the consumption with the return commute trip to handle any elevation change. There are also other variables (weather, traffic, etc.) but this should give you ball park range info.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mmulet

I only charged to 100% because this was the first time; I'll set it to 80% in the future (or for a long trip).

I see your 234 range in your picture; mine was definitely only 204 when I started this morning (so I'm a little disappointed). How much have your driven your car?
I haven’t driven it much. Just from the dealership to Grantham, NH. I actually left the dealership with 254 mile range then it went down to 120 miles when I got to my place. I had the heated seats and blower gong and had the radio blasting as well. I was on efficiency mode and had cruise control at 72 mph at least.

Vinny
Old 05-03-2019, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vinnysca
Edition one owner here too. I picked mine up two days ago and my range read 234 miles on 91% charge. I thought that the range was down to 204. Is that the driving range? Or if the car is fully charged, it would still show 240+ But would eventually drop to 200 miles or so during real world driving?

vinny
Looks like Vinny got the OTA ERU (Extra Range Update) for the e-tron upping it to 234... LOL
Old 05-03-2019, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by vinnysca
I had the heated seats and blower gong and had the radio blasting as well.
FYI, the 5 to 10 watts the heated seats are using is nothing compared to the 25,000 watts the car is using to drive at highway speed. There really is no penalty to using the heated seats. If you didn't need to have the car on to run the heated seats, you could run your heated seat continuously for over a year on a single charge.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First Commute in an Edition One: Initial Range Readings