Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

First road trip in the e-Tron

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts
Default First road trip in the e-Tron

Just got back from a weekend trip Mpls-Chicago on which I logged ~1000 miles (~400 miles each way plus another 200 miles driving in and around north Chicago suburbs). It's a drive we've made countless times but I certainly put more research into this specific trip than any others previously. I knew the 90/94 freeway route was already adequately covered with newly operational Electrify America sites (Eau Claire, Tomah, Madison WI) but in preparation I signed up for EVGo and Chargepoint as well to make sure I was covered and also wanted to try to get as much level 3 charging experience as possible. In the end I used 4 different 50/150/350kW Electrify America sites (one of them twice) and 3 different 50kW EVGo sites (one of them twice... I also wanted to try Chargepoint as well but nothing was close by). Of the 9 charging stops, only half of them went flawlessly. With the EVGo stops, one stop the unit did connect to the eTron but wouldn't initiate the session despite multiple reconnection attempts (I did successfully use that same unit the next day), and with another unit, the session just terminated at 73% charge and then the unit was offline and I left for another EVGo charger 5 mins away. At the EA sites, they certainly have an advantage because unlike the single-tower EVGo sites, these sites had 4 towers so if I had a problem with one tower I could reposition to another (I at most saw one other vehicle -both Bolts- at these sites). No rhyme or reason to the issues. Couldn't initiate session, then couldn't unplug (AUX climate control off, tried power cycling, ultimately had to pull the manual release in the frunk), another case where power cycling the car did allow me to release the EVSE connector, also one case where the session terminated unexpectedly at 80% charge and said "charge complete" but I had the charging target unchanged for entire trip at 100%.

Overall the trip was an adventure in a positive way given that my expectations (in part thanks to this forum) were pretty low in terms of concentration of level 3 charging stations and reliability of them when they are present. Knowing what I know now, I'd be more likely to select our hotel based on whether it has a level 2 charge point available OR is it close to a level 3 charge point OR if neither of those viable then be more prone to take one of our ICE vehicles. We were running around for a soccer tournament with both our kids participating in different fields so adding the need to charge during the day in Chicago traffic was nuts at times. We are all certainly early adopters until the charging infrastructure gets more built out (maybe you folks on the west coast are having a different experience due to more early stage investment in infra).

I got 4.0 km/kwh driving between 70 and 80 mph (btw has anyone found out if its possible in one of the menus to change the efficiency metric units to m/kwh??). I noticed an interesting thing that in three occasions right after a charge ended, the route planner seemed overly conservative on range (let's say I was showing a 20 mile buffer between destination and available range) BUT as my trip progressed the buffer increased to be more like 40 miles buffer between destination and available range. I have some theories on why this is but most importantly stored it in my own brain for future planning purposes.

Last thing is the non-etronified route planner has GOT to be updated by Audi. To not be fully up to date on available EA sites AND constantly be popping up gas station reminders is not good given how important this subject of charging is for the etron driver.

Anyway, thought I'd share my experiences. I absolutely LOVE the vehicle and look forward to enjoying it more and more over the coming years as charging infrastructure improves!
The following 4 users liked this post by wetz001:
2KA6_2.7T (06-24-2019), bugout (06-24-2019), katzjamr (06-25-2019), Tom-ETRON (06-26-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

"possible in one of the menus to change the efficiency metric units to m/kwh??"

Please look this post:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud.../#post25311857
Old 06-24-2019, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by wetz001
Last thing is the non-etronified route planner has GOT to be updated by Audi. To not be fully up to date on available EA sites AND constantly be popping up gas station reminders is not good given how important this subject of charging is for the etron driver.
Thanks for sharing! Absolutely agree with your appraisal of the route planner. Sorely needs to be made more usable; doesn't preferentially show 150 kW chargers, not up to date on EA sites, can't add a charging stop that it doesn't recognize manually. The gas station list is a constant reminder that the EV support is half baked. I'm hoping a BIG update will drop after EA finishes Cycle 1.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Got it thank you!!
Old 06-24-2019, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is helpful. I'm trying to figure out how to drive from Dallas to Houston (260 miles through mostly rural Texas) and I don't think I can do it until EA has their station operational at a Walmart about halfway. The other charging options look like the slow alternatives at RV parks.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

I agree. Unless you want to actually camp at one of those RV parks, I'd wait for the level 3 charge point!
Old 06-25-2019, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 125 Likes on 80 Posts

In the west Texas summer heat I would avoid DC fast charge for a little bit early on. Better not to stress the battery/cooling too much during the break in. I would charge at L2 for the initial drive. I live one state North of you and have been L2 charging for first 2 weeks so the battery can settle in a little better. In 2 weeks I plan to head off on a 600 mile round trip with DC fast charge.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by theo1000
In the west Texas summer heat I would avoid DC fast charge for a little bit early on. Better not to stress the battery/cooling too much during the break in. I would charge at L2 for the initial drive. I live one state North of you and have been L2 charging for first 2 weeks so the battery can settle in a little better. In 2 weeks I plan to head off on a 600 mile round trip with DC fast charge.
Thanks very much for that tip. I never would have thought of that, relative to the break-in period. I sure hope that type of detail is covered in the owner manual. (I don't have the car yet.). Maybe that's why I don't know what "L2" charging is.

I'm thinking I need to put my EE buddy on speed dial to help out this non-engineer.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by theo1000

Interesting, what information do you have that you should “easy” in the battery? And why it would only be applied to Audi EV and not new Tesla , Toyota, or other brand?

i think we sometimes think we know more then the product developers.

If Audi don’t specifically tell you to do something why mess with it? It was designed for fast charging and it has temperature controls on both ends the car and the charger no harm can be done as it would lower amps or discontinue charging.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My experience with EVGo chargers (at least in SoCal) is that they stop after 40 minutes of use. You have to restart charging again again.

Quick Reply: First road trip in the e-Tron