Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Garage Door Opener looses signal power/range

Old 07-11-2019, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by pcassidy
I've had my e-tron two weeks now. As I back out of the garage, I'm finding it takes about 40 sec on start before the opener will work. On return it's more responsive but not 100 per cent. The Genie remote, which is new, works just fine.
That's not normal. Mine is usually available to use within about 5 seconds of starting the car
Old 07-14-2019, 04:40 AM
SWFla-eTron

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ugh! After 6 weeks of flawless operation, my garage doors did not respond to e tron activation. I guess it’s back to having the clickers on the sun visor unless the software “cured” itself overnight. It appears that the e tron expert might be making an emergency house call. Harrumph!
Old 07-15-2019, 05:55 PM
SWFla-eTron

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Geesh! The e tron cured itself of it’s garage door opening problem. Only now it won’t open the community guard house gate from the steering wheel. Yes, I checked and the button on the steering wheel is programmed correctly. Resigned to carrying the clickers on the visor until I get it looked at by the dealer.
Old 03-06-2020, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

On my new e-tron that I've had less than a week I've had to reprogram the garage door opener 3 times already. It works a few days and stops. Did anybody ever find out a fix? is this something the dealer can even do anything about?
Old 03-06-2020, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dupsatou
On my new e-tron that I've had less than a week I've had to reprogram the garage door opener 3 times already. It works a few days and stops. Did anybody ever find out a fix? is this something the dealer can even do anything about?
I've had the same exact issue since I got my e-tron in May. Have spoken to Homelink tech support at least 10 times. They will tell you it "should" work, but sometimes it won't. You probably have a Liftmaster/Craftsman/Chamberlain with MyQ/Assurelink. The problem has to do with the multi frequency of Security 2.0+. Can you tell I'm knee deep in this? Try programming it with the garage door opener (GDO) learn button, and when it syncs (light blinks) don't make the door go up or down for 5 minutes (once the GDO light goes out). This is what Homelink support will tell you to do. Unfortunately, after trying all this and programming mine about 40 times, I finally broke down and bought a new garage door opener today. It was either that, or keep a remote in the car. I'm not sure that what I bought will work (another Craftsman). I'll know in a few days. If not, I'll be getting a Genie because that uses different security and does not have this issue - per Homelink.
The following users liked this post:
dupsatou (03-06-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Oh, one more thing, the dealer and Audi support are useless and clueless. At least Homelink admitted this is a known problem with newer Audi's and Homelink with Security 2.0+.
The following users liked this post:
dupsatou (03-06-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by njjoe
I've had the same exact issue since I got my e-tron in May. Have spoken to Homelink tech support at least 10 times. They will tell you it "should" work, but sometimes it won't. You probably have a Liftmaster/Craftsman/Chamberlain with MyQ/Assurelink. The problem has to do with the multi frequency of Security 2.0+. Can you tell I'm knee deep in this? Try programming it with the garage door opener (GDO) learn button, and when it syncs (light blinks) don't make the door go up or down for 5 minutes (once the GDO light goes out). This is what Homelink support will tell you to do. Unfortunately, after trying all this and programming mine about 40 times, I finally broke down and bought a new garage door opener today. It was either that, or keep a remote in the car. I'm not sure that what I bought will work (another Craftsman). I'll know in a few days. If not, I'll be getting a Genie because that uses different security and does not have this issue - per Homelink.
A lot of good info, thanks for this. You hit the nail on the head for what I've got. It's one of the higher end chamberlain units and I really don't want to replace it. 🙄
Old 03-06-2020, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Oh, one more thing, the dealer and Audi support are useless and clueless. At least Homelink admitted this is a known problem with newer Audi's and Homelink with Security 2.0+.
Curious, did you ever see or come across the homelink compatibility bridge as a possible solution? It sounds like it's probably intended more for older cars but based on how it works I'm thinking it might be worth a shot.

https://support.dealer.liftmaster.co...-1484145678315
Old 03-07-2020, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 183 Likes on 148 Posts

If not, I'll be getting a Genie because that uses different security and does not have this issue - per Homelink.
Just to provide a different data point in case you do switch again: I have a Genie garage door opener which is about 14 years old. Programming it with the E-tron was pretty easy as you just push a button on the opener and it learns whatever code the E-tron is sending out. It works pretty reliably so far.
Old 03-07-2020, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Curious, did you ever see or come across the homelink compatibility bridge as a possible solution? It sounds like it's probably intended more for older cars but based on how it works I'm thinking it might be worth a shot.

https://support.dealer.liftmaster.co...-1484145678315
Funny you ask. Bought one about a week ago. Figured for around $20 that it was worth a shot. It doesn't work. I spoke to Homelink and they it said it likely wouldn't work the Homelink in the e-tron. That was the last straw before I replaced the GDO. By the way, what is the manufacture date on your opener?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Garage Door Opener looses signal power/range