Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Home Charging Options

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 125 Likes on 80 Posts

I got my Juicebox Pro 40 installed and running finally. Decided to take the extra step and go for a fully recessed install of a 14-50 plug. Did all the work myself, cause I enjoy this sort of nerdy stuff. Called an electrician to inspect it. Because of the existing wall it took me quite a while to drill and fish the 6/3 line all the way from the basement to the attic and then down the wall. At least 60' of wire to go 12' !! Scuff marks are from a bike rack I had to take down to detect the lines as I fished them. You can also see the line suspended from the ceiling for simple plug & deplug. Since I was crawling around in the attic I decided to put in a second 14-50 line and outlet, because sadly I'm one of those guys....

I have to say the JB has an incredibly heavy 40 amp rated cable. My wife who is petite could not easily drag it over to plug in. For those of you looking for a EVSE, if weight and effort is an issue rethink going to 40 amp. The 32 amp cables are about 1/2 the size and 1/3 the weight. I'm going to stay with the 32 amp units at my work day residence.

Now all I need is for my Etron to get here! Its on a truck somewhere on I35. Its been on said truck for 9 days now. What is America coming to I tell you.

Last edited by theo1000; 06-02-2019 at 08:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Earth And Main (06-30-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts

Anyone know if you can move breakers in the panel? Visually I don’t see the issue but I’m not a qualified electrician so by no means think it could be just that simple.

The electrician I had install the 50amp breaker and outlet decided to just remove the dryer breaker as it’s not in use. He said the house had enough power to deal with adding the 50amp but I don’t know if he just wanted to get it done quickly.

i was hoping I could get a different electrician back to move a single breaker to the right side and then put the 30amp back in.
The following users liked this post:
Earth And Main (06-30-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes you can move breakers but it maybe a bit of juggle as you will have to move one breaker to the right and then all the breakers on the left side one slot so you free up a dual pole location.
At which point your breaker box will be full. IMHO not a good idea.

BTW is that your sub panel or you main panel. If it is main is it a 100 amp service?
Old 06-02-2019, 10:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts

[QUOTE=BTW is that your sub panel or you main panel. If it is main is it a 100 amp service?[/QUOTE]

It’s a sub panel. I believe the service coming into the house is 100amp. Electrician stated that the only time a breaker would be tripped is if I ran the oven, range, charger and dryer all at the same time which is h likely considering the dryer has now been disconnected.

Looking into upgrading to a 200amp service but as it’s a rental I don’t want to invest too much money on updating the landlord property.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think if you have just one EV you should be fine. In my situation with 4 EV's it got really dicey with a 100 amp panel. I upgraded to a 200 amp panel a couple of years ago. As I'm on a regulated utility there was a max rate schedule utility could charge me. Still not cheap and not sure I'd recommend for a rental. If you do move the breakers, try to move your heavy loads up closer to the main buss connection. That way there is less strain on the main the buss and esp. if it is a Aluminium Buss bar less chance of ahem! heat.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

theo1000,
Nice installation. Curious, why did you purchase a Juicebox based on the other posts showing you don't need one after you have the 14-50 receptacle installed ?
I'm currently waiting for delivery of my e-tron and deciding what to do with charging.
Old 06-30-2019, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right... awesome explanation.
Old 06-30-2019, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by theo1000
I got my Juicebox Pro 40 installed and running finally. Decided to take the extra step and go for a fully recessed install of a 14-50 plug. Did all the work myself, cause I enjoy this sort of nerdy stuff. Called an electrician to inspect it. Because of the existing wall it took me quite a while to drill and fish the 6/3 line all the way from the basement to the attic and then down the wall. At least 60' of wire to go 12' !! Scuff marks are from a bike rack I had to take down to detect the lines as I fished them. You can also see the line suspended from the ceiling for simple plug & deplug. Since I was crawling around in the attic I decided to put in a second 14-50 line and outlet, because sadly I'm one of those guys....

I have to say the JB has an incredibly heavy 40 amp rated cable. My wife who is petite could not easily drag it over to plug in. For those of you looking for a EVSE, if weight and effort is an issue rethink going to 40 amp. The 32 amp cables are about 1/2 the size and 1/3 the weight. I'm going to stay with the 32 amp units at my work day residence.

Now all I need is for my Etron to get here! Its on a truck somewhere on I35. Its been on said truck for 9 days now. What is America coming to I tell you.
Good advice on the 40 versus 32... I was kind of up in the air myself on which one to get, this would be a second unit used at Inlaws house so we wouldn't need it all the time and it would rarely need charge up from empty, so I feel like getting the 32 is perfectly fine for convenient top ups on visits.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by alexski05
theo1000,
Nice installation. Curious, why did you purchase a Juicebox based on the other posts showing you don't need one after you have the 14-50 receptacle installed ?
I'm currently waiting for delivery of my e-tron and deciding what to do with charging.
Hi,

I got the JB for my Lakehouse. I'm staying on 32 amps at my weekday residence. I use the 32 amp units just fine and even with my 10 year old EVSE no problems.

As a corollary I'm actually in the process of retiring the JB after 2 weeks of service. The cable locks to the ETRON in unfortunate ways that is very unlike my 32 Amp units. My wife was caught out a couple of times and unable to unlatch till I drove over. My guess is it is set up to run like a public charger and that does not work for me at my homes.

At this point I have to recommend you get a simple straight forward 32 amp unit. Lighter, easier, cheaper and fewer hassles.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by theo1000
As a corollary I'm actually in the process of retiring the JB after 2 weeks of service. The cable locks to the ETRON in unfortunate ways that is very unlike my 32 Amp units. My wife was caught out a couple of times and unable to unlatch till I drove over. My guess is it is set up to run like a public charger and that does not work for me at my homes..
Watch for a notification from Audi about the not releasing issue. They're going to fix this in the future with software and do something nice for owners for the inconvenience. You can pop the hood and tell it to release in the interim if it does happen to occur.

Last edited by schalliol; 07-01-2019 at 06:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Home Charging Options