Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Home Charging Options

Old 07-01-2019, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 125 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by schalliol
Watch for a notification from Audi about the not releasing issue. They're going to fix this in the future with software and do something nice for owners for the inconvenience. You can pop the hood and tell it to release in the interim if it does happen to occur.
Yes! I had to do manual at least once. It mainly happens right after it is done charging. 30 minutes later it releases just fine.

If there is a software update and the JB releases properly I may change my mind. Thanks for letting me know.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, our dealer called a few days ago. They may be doing different things to handle the inconvenience, but they did do something for us. We haven't had the issue on the JB40 we installed, but we did have initial trouble getting it to snap in. No issue now.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question:

I have the EVSE below that I use for my Honda Clarity PHEV (which I'm trading for my e-tron that's now at the port in RI, doing whatever they do there):

"Jekayla Level 2 32 Amp Portable Electric Vehicle Charger Plug-in EV Charger EV Charging Station for Home, RV Park and Travel, NEMA 14-50 Plug, 7.68 KW"

I have 14-50 outlets on 50 amp circuits in my main home and my summer place. I currently schlep the EVSE between the locations, which isn't very convenient.

I'm thinking of leaving the 32 amp EVSE plugged in at the summer place, and the Audi EVSE at the main house. If I were to do this, what should I expect the difference to be, in charging MPH, between the two locations?
Old 07-01-2019, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hope this helps
Old 07-02-2019, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hmm!

they say DC only but it has happened to me 4-5 times so far on the JB L2. Last sunday after a bunch of run-abouts and plug-ins it happened to me twice where the plug would not readily release. Only on the 40 amp JB. Never on the 32 amp units I have.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Fair point, but I bet it's also for AC. Interesting…. I don't think others have had the issue. Maybe check with the charging company? When we had an issue, we were told we were the first they knew of with an e-tron, so they were interested in ensuring that there's nothing they need to update for it.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Will do. Let me rattle the cages and see what fall out...
Old 08-13-2020, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi everyone! Considering that this tread started over a year ago I am wondering if there is anyone that has installed any home charging station recently. If so, I’d like to know which unit you bought, who installed it, cost, etc.

I recently purchased a new etron and I definitely think I’m going to need a home charger. 110v is certainly not going to cut it.

Please send your recommendations. Thanks!
Old 08-13-2020, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 143 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by willy1207
Hi everyone! Considering that this tread started over a year ago I am wondering if there is anyone that has installed any home charging station recently. If so, I’d like to know which unit you bought, who installed it, cost, etc.

I recently purchased a new etron and I definitely think I’m going to need a home charger. 110v is certainly not going to cut it.

Please send your recommendations. Thanks!
I literally just installed a ChargePoint Flex tonight. I am using the NEMA 14-50 plug for now, but will run the appropriate wiring for a dedicated 70A circuit to get the full 50A output (up from 40A). I think the ChargePoint app needs more work. For example, it doesn't offer to notify when charging is complete (or at least I haven't seen that yet). It also doesn't report SoC and time remaining until fully charged. I am pretty sure this information is communicated back to the charger, so it should be accessible. Or maybe I am doing something wrong.
Old 08-14-2020, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WildBTK
I literally just installed a ChargePoint Flex tonight. I am using the NEMA 14-50 plug for now, but will run the appropriate wiring for a dedicated 70A circuit to get the full 50A output (up from 40A). I think the ChargePoint app needs more work. For example, it doesn't offer to notify when charging is complete (or at least I haven't seen that yet). It also doesn't report SoC and time remaining until fully charged. I am pretty sure this information is communicated back to the charger, so it should be accessible. Or maybe I am doing something wrong.
i could be wrong, but I believe two issues with the increased charging units exist, the level 2 charging port (or onboard components) I believe is only capable of charging at 40 amps, thus going larger won’t help. I also told that the Chargepoint flex is a bit misleading in its specs, as are many such claims of faster charging, and that the car isn’t capable of that increase without jumping into the level 3 ports. I had looked into getting the juicebox 70 but was told it would just dummy down to what the car was capable of charging. I have a juicebox pro 40 and like it. It’s a bit clumsy if you intend to left others use it, you have to add them to your net work, etc. other than that it’s fine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Home Charging Options