Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Home Charging Options

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by theo1000
Is the 40 amp worth it?
FYI, you can adjust the Juicebox current output to optimize your original breaker/wiring if you want to. With the upgrade you'll also get EVSE WiFi connectivity. However, I believe the Audi e-tron app will have all the relevant charge/scheduling options and information.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts

I’m in a rental and before I go reaching out to the landlord to request installing an outlet I was wondering if the dryer outlet can be used? We have a gas dryer so the 220v outlet isn’t in use. Does anyone know if the e-Tron will come with a cord / adapter or have the ability to charge via this outlet? Apparently Tesla offers the ability to charge via a nema 14-30 so not sure if Audi will offer the same
Old 03-16-2019, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

From what I can see, the US Audi EVSE (charger) will come with only NEMA 5-15 for 110V and NEMA 14-50 for 220V. You can purchase third party 14-30 to 14-50 adapters for as little as $30 on Amazon. There should be provisions in the vehicle and/or the EVSE to limit the charging current and avoid exceeding you dryer plug rating. You would want to charge at no more than 24A on a 30A circuit.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I saw the adaptors and thought that could be a viable option but on other forums there were people saying if the charger isn’t smart enough to realize it then it will likely try and use above 30 amps. Granted, not all electric cars are the same so could be different with the Audi. Certainly something fo keep looking into though.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by hrc1079
Thanks for the response. Yeah, I saw the adaptors and thought that could be a viable option but on other forums there were people saying if the charger isn’t smart enough to realize it then it will likely try and use above 30 amps. Granted, not all electric cars are the same so could be different with the Audi. Certainly something fo keep looking into though.
My Porsche EVSE, which looks very similar to the Audi unit (although with a lower rating), has a menu item that allows you to control the current. I wouldn't be surprised if you can set it from the Audi EVSE as well. The car should also have a setting for charge current. Hopefully there is a way to set up charge current on the Audi based on location, so you could restrict it at home and charge faster elsewhere automatically.

Last edited by LavaGrau_A3; 03-16-2019 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is there a high-powered unit that would work in case you had two EVs?
Old 03-16-2019, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by LavaGrau_A3
My Porsche EVSE, which looks very similar to the Audi unit (although with a lower rating), has a menu item that allows you to control the current. I wouldn't be surprised if you can set it from the Audi EVSE as well. The car should also have a setting for charge current. Hopefully there is a way to set up charge current on the Audi based on location, so you could restrict it at home and charge faster elsewhere automatically.
Thanks. That’s good news indeed. Would be awesome if it could be location based but regardless, if there is an option to change the current to work with the 220v outlet it’s definitely a bonus not having to get permission off the landlord. Not that I think he’d have an issue but you never know.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by schalliol
Is there a high-powered unit that would work in case you had two EVs?
Yes. Clipper Creek makes a "dual" EVSE which connects to a 50 amp service. It is two 7.2 KW EVSE's that talk to each other and allocate the available 40 amps between them. One of them gets priority charging at 32 amps and the other gets 8 amps, until the priority charger starts to taper off. Then the "secondary" EVSE starts to ramp up, but never exceeding a max of 40 amps draw on the electrical circuit. Cost is a little more than double the cost of a 7.2 KW EVSE. If your electrical service can support it, you could always set up two 220v breakers and two EVSE's. The Clipper Creek EVSE is designed for applications where this is not an option. One cannot hook up two cars to a single EVSE, no matter what the capacity of the EVSE may be.
The following users liked this post:
Earth And Main (06-30-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by hrc1079

Thanks. That’s good news indeed. Would be awesome if it could be location based but regardless, if there is an option to change the current to work with the 220v outlet it’s definitely a bonus not having to get permission off the landlord. Not that I think he’d have an issue but you never know.
Found some additional information on the German Audi site. For that market at least, the EVSE works just like the Porsche unit does. You should be all set:

At the control unit, the user can manually switch between 100 percent and 50 percent charging power. This can be useful if several other electrical appliances are already in use in the house. The status of the charging system and the charging process are displayed in compact form on the e-tron charging system using LEDs on the control unit.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Taking a step back here, is there any reason not to use the charger included with the e-tron at home? I actually didn’t realize one was included. I see some third-party are WiFi enabled, and I wonder how Audi manages when to stop charging (through the car or the wall station).

While it wouldn’t be ideal, I can see having the ability on a trip plugging into 120 (or hard to find 240) if needed as a good thing. If you use the Audi charger at home, then unless you disconnected and took it with you, you couldn’t plug into. Correct?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Home Charging Options