Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Home Charging Options

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 1st Audi Owner
After speaking with my electrician, I am tending towards a receptacle. This way if my JuiceBox ever fails all I would need do is unplug it and send it back. Would not have to wait for the electrician to uninstall it and then wait again for him to re-install the JuiceBox after it had been repaired and returned to me.
If for some reason the Juice Box failed you could always plug your provided car charger into the NEMA plug and still charge at a higher rate. Good to have a back up!
Old 04-28-2019, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DMcDnald
If for some reason the Juice Box failed you could always plug your provided car charger into the NEMA plug and still charge at a higher rate. Good to have a back up!
Excellent plan.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeffbtx
Not sure where you’re located but in Texas, rebates and charging rates are the same for plug-in or hard wired. Not sure how the power company knows the difference on consumption.
Southern California - Los Angeles Department of Water & Power. Not a huge fan in general. For the rates - they just come install a time of use meter dedicated to the charger, so no, they wouldn't know the difference based on that correct. However, I've been going back and forth with them on the type of charger eligible. I'm paraphrasing to get to the key words, but the wording states chargers are only eligible if they are installed, wall-mounted & cannot be portable. They have argued that those words exclude plug in models as they are neither installed, nor permanent (since you can unplug it does that make it portable?). (I'm rolling my eyes here). In my opinion, their process just makes it less appealing for customers to go electric - but that's another story for another forum! If anyone else in the LA area has experienced this differently I'd love to hear about your experience. I actually suspect this is more about interpretation of wording and not what some others may have experienced.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Home & away with charging stations questions

Originally Posted by DMcDnald
The E Tron on board charger is 9.6 kW in the US. If you get a charger like the JuiceBox 40 Pro, it can provide 10 kW charging. You need a 50 A line so you don't keep tripping the fuse. You'll need a NEMA 14-50 plug to plug the Juice Box into. The Juice Box 40 Pro is $579 on Amazon. There is no need for a Juice Box 75, since it exceeds the capacity of the E Tron, unless you want to "future proof" your charging capabilities.for a future EV. The price of the electrical work depends upon how long they have to run the line, is there any trenching required, etc.
So I’m reading many statements about range anxiety of the Audi E-tron, and in some of those statements comparing the existing charging networks out there... so since this is our first EV...

1) home charging at 9.6 sounds to be the max, so the majoysay don’t bother with a larger home charging unit?
ie: the juice box 40 is ample, and the juice box 70 is simply not utilized, being excessive. So what car out there now would utilize the larger juice box system?

2) Range anxiety issues? So, I’m not an electrician by any stretch, but does the Audi Etron have the ability to use level 3 chargers, especially the Tesla superchargers? If as some members have debated Tesla’s network is “everywhere” then what is the worry about range? Especially If I can go to the nearest mall and charge my Etron at a Tesla supercharger ?

In general Is a level 3 charging system not going to work well on an e-tron? It would be less obtrusive when your on the go to hit a supercharger for 15/30 minutes for say 3/4 tank, than to wait an hour for 20 miles of level 2 charge.

anyone have any ideas? Also, if cost were not any kind of issue, what is the best home (or at my business) charging system recommendation? Is there a level 2 that is faster than the standard units or is there a L3 that one could afford that makes charging at “home” a no brainer?

thanks,

ps we are supposed to pick up our Etron this week.
Very excited. I’ll post photos when/if we do.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

suprspdway

First of all some math 240V at 40 amp = 9.6kW; 240V at 75 Amp is 18kW
In US, Tesla Model S comes with (standard) a 11 kW onboard AC charger. but optionally you can add another 11 kW. meaning you can charge at home at maximum of 22kW (or 18kW with JuiceBox pro 75)
The e-Tron comes with a 9.6 kW AC charger onboard

The SAE J1772 standard has a maximum of 18 kW. so if you want to future proof (within the J1772 standard) get the 75A JuiceBox - as long as your service panel can support it.

regarding
but does the Audi Etron have the ability to use level 3 chargers, especially the Tesla superchargers
No. the plug are incompatible (in US). and the SuperCharger(tm) are software coded to ONLY work with Tesla EVs

Level 3 are 480 V AC . Tesla Supercharger are DC.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 2KA6_2.7T
Level 3 originally only referred to higher voltage charging > 200V and could be either AC or DC, but level 3 AC was never implemented and doesn't exist anymore. Therefore in the US level 3 only refers to DC charging, between 208-600V input.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default So in layman’s terms...

Originally Posted by 2KA6_2.7T
suprspdway

First of all some math 240V at 40 amp = 9.6kW; 240V at 75 Amp is 18kW
In US, Tesla Model S comes with (standard) a 11 kW onboard AC charger. but optionally you can add another 11 kW. meaning you can charge at home at maximum of 22kW (or 18kW with JuiceBox pro 75)
The e-Tron comes with a 9.6 kW AC charger onboard

The SAE J1772 standard has a maximum of 18 kW. so if you want to future proof (within the J1772 standard) get the 75A JuiceBox - as long as your service panel can support it.

regarding
No. the plug are incompatible (in US). and the SuperCharger(tm) are software coded to ONLY work with Tesla EVs

thanks,
its our first EV, and we live in what most would consider a “rural” area. The nearest shopping has is about 40 minutes away, and has Tesla’s chargers, but it looks like we can’t take advantage of them? Is there an adapter that makes EV’s (non Tesla) able to use Tesla stations?

in simpleton terms, I’d like to have a faster than average (fast charging) “home” station at my house or my business. I do qualify for commercial credits to install a charging station at my business which is close enough to my home.

Whats the best level 2 option for fastest charging the Etron?
I have spoken with solar/Ev charging station companies about commercial options and gov rebates, but I would like to know what my fastest charging option is at present (they are pushing brands they sell).

if price were not really an issue and the 3 phase power were available, what level 3 or fast charging system would you say is the best option?
Old 04-28-2019, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by suprspdway
thanks,
its our first EV, and we live in what most would consider a “rural” area. The nearest shopping has is about 40 minutes away, and has Tesla’s chargers, but it looks like we can’t take advantage of them? Is there an adapter that makes EV’s (non Tesla) able to use Tesla stations?

in simpleton terms, I’d like to have a faster than average (fast charging) “home” station at my house or my business. I do qualify for commercial credits to install a charging station at my business which is close enough to my home.

I have spoken with solar/Ev charging station companies about commercial options and gov rebates, but I would like to know what my fastest charging option is at present (they are pushing brands they sell).

if price were not really an issue and the 3 phase power were available, what level 3 or fast charging system would you say is the best option?
Here's some good reading for you - lots of other good info available too - just ask Google.

https://insideevs.com/news/341500/th...s-top-5-picks/
Old 04-28-2019, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ah ok regarding L3 ( I was limiting the scope to household 240V. and some high-end houses can have two phases 240V)

suprspdway, Tesla EVs can use an adapter to charge at public(non-Tesla) stations, but not the other way around, ie non-Tesla EVs CANNOT charge at SuperCharger. ( SuperCharger payment system communicates with Tesla EVs only)

The public charging stations you should be looking for (at PlugShare.com) are "CCS/SAE" or "CCS Combo DC". The charge-rate starts at about 50 kW to 350 kW ( but e-tron's are maxed out at 150 kW) , the J1772's you see will only charge at 9.6 kW - on the e-tron anything higher than 9.6 must be using the CCS connector ( ie. JA1772 plus the two DC ports)

The e-tron usable kWh is 83.6 so divide 83.6 by the kW will get you the approximated time in hours to charge. e.g from 0-100% e.g. 83.6 / 9.6 ( home charging) is 8.7 Hours; and at Electrify American Charging stations: 0-100% in over 33 mins, in reality the 150kW charge rate is only applicable from around 20% - 80% State of Charge (SoC) . There are many other variables - such as ambient temperature, and battery pack temperate that will affect the charge rate

Last edited by 2KA6_2.7T; 04-28-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by suprspdway
thanks,

The fastest Level 2 is 75A ( The limits of J1772) BUT the e-tron can only charge maximum of 9.6kW (40A) thru the J1772 ( level 2), it is a limitation of the on-board controller/charger.
- If your house has more than a single phase 240V, then you could go higher than Level 2. but I have no idea.

For your business, I have seen many hotels installing EVgo, with 50 kW DC ( both CHAdeMO and CCS ), so you are on the right path in talking to them, if you can do Level 2 or level 1. I believe Level 3 needs a step-down transformer from 7200V to 480V on premise.

Quick Reply: Home Charging Options