Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

I can not explain my odometer readings

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts
Default I can not explain my odometer readings

Am I reading this correctly ?
My total Odometer is reporting 666.2 miles and my "Long-term Memory" trip meter (on main display), which is resettable is showing 704.9 mi.

I've never reset the trip meter "Long-term memory" before, and is irrelevant , because resetting the "Long Term Memory" trip meter can only results in less mileage. 666.2 is not the short-term neither, because that reset itself.
Perhaps may be dealer reset main odo before delivery , but not the long-term ?

Long-term memory trip meter vs Odometer

Old 05-23-2019, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Very strange. If the dealer did a reset on the main odo, that is a real issue....that’s a no no....
Old 05-23-2019, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably just means that "long-term memory" is continously averaged data as opposed to short-term, which may be instant. You can reset the average power consumption, speed, and time, but the car won't reset the total mileage. Neither the dealer nor you can reset the total odometer, those things are designed to be tamper-proof. Go ahead and try, wouldn't you like a car with 0 miles driven yet?
Old 05-23-2019, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KA6_2.7T
My total Odometer is reporting 666.2 miles and my "Long-term Memory" trip meter (on main display), which is resettable is showing 704.9 mi.

I've never reset the trip meter "Long-term memory" before, and is irrelevant , because resetting the "Long Term Memory" trip meter can only results in less mileage. 666.2 is not the short-term neither, because that reset itself.

The 666.2 is your trip meter. You can reset it. I can tell you how if you can't figure it out.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by njjoe
The 666.2 is your trip meter. You can reset it. I can tell you how if you can't figure it out.
Ahhh. that may be it so in additional to "Long-term" and "Short-term" trip meter, there is also a "traditional" Trip meter.

on Page 13 of owner manual:
Resetting the trip odometer

► Select on the instrument cluster: vehicle functions

tab > ~ button > Reset mi.

Old 05-23-2019, 05:46 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KA6_2.7T

It looks to me like the "704" just above the clock is the main odometer reading.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

One could argue that this points out the less-than-very-intuitive nature of the user interface, a.k.a. German software. It’s always puzzled me why none of the German OEMs can put together some decent, logical software on their infotainment systems. Most of the time the hardware is great, the graphics are great but the ergonomics are a mess.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It seems to me they tried to preserve the lineage of past Audi instrument clusters. As all the screens merge together, the visual separation is less distinct but they maintain largely the same control logic. That horizontal line dividing the trip information and the basic car information is similar to how the DIS screen is divided on Audis with traditional gauge clusters.

That was an intermediate step in merging the displays, where these functions moved into the DIS. Before that, the odometer, clock, and external temperature were smaller LCD panels, separate from the DIS which was optional equipment. On the traditional DIS from the past decade, I have found myself on more than one occasion to mix up the temperature digits with the trip odometer digits when quickly glancing down while driving. That can be very confusing when the air cools on a long drive, and it seems that the odometer is counting backwards!
Old 05-23-2019, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The odometer is above the clock. The trip meter is above the temperature. The trip meter is different from long and short term memory. To reset the trip meter, press OK button on left side of steering wheel. Then scroll to reset mi and press on the scroll button to reset.