Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Illinois EV Registration

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Illinois EV Registration

Any Illinois residents reconsidering their e-tron (or any EV) reservation / purchase ?
https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...509-story.html
Old 05-11-2019, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 82 Likes on 54 Posts

I've lived in Illinois my entire life and I hate it. This is yet another reason to hate this state. We have horrible weather, insanely high taxes and even worse politicians. Some day I pray to move from here. The e tron will be my second electric vehicle. I have an electric snow blower and lawn mower. I am doing every current and future Illinoisan and American a huge service by keeping my carbon emissions low. And I've paid a premium for it, including in higher state and local sales taxes. Now the corrupt democrats in Springfield want to punish me for helping them. Outrageous. The definition of "rich" in Illinois drops every year and this state has started a class war pitting the rich against the poor. Google "Illinois Fair Tax" and see. There's nothing fair about it, it punishes the top 3 percent. It's not a surprise Illinois is going after the "rich" yet again. The "rich" can afford to pay for all. This is fully taxation without representation. Revolutions have started because of this. If you can't tell, I'm a bit frustrated by this
Old 05-11-2019, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts

Massachusetts is pretty awful when it comes to taxes, but Illinois may be the worst. It's painful to pay so much in taxes and get so little in return. Sorry for your pain. It's not always so simple to just move, though This is going to get worse and more widespread, since gas and diesel are taxed to pay infrastructure costs. The burden will be shared amongst EV owners, too, eventually.

Last edited by DMcDnald; 05-11-2019 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 125 Likes on 80 Posts

Unfortunately all the midwest states are rolling this particular tax on EV's out. My own so called low tax state now has 9.6% sales tax + income tax + special annual levy on EV's. Considering I have 4 EV's this is penalty now well north of $1000 per year just for the privilege of driving EV. And I get to pay electricity tax and a special demand charge. EV owners are a easy defenseless target. I'm sure some of the dark thinking upper midwest states will enact $10,000 type tax penalty for buying an EV. Just petty minded hatfeild/mccoy type thinking....

It's gotten so bad I have been forced buy a house in a neighboring state to register my business/vehicles there. But now that state is mulling its own EV taxes.... ..there is no escape...
Old 05-12-2019, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 82 Likes on 54 Posts

Not to be too political as I am fairly independent, but there hasn't been a tax that Illinois, in particular, Chicago democrats haven't liked. The "rich" will always pay more, the never ending tree of money.