Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Juice Box Pro Not Charging

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 125 Likes on 80 Posts

Hmm...
Wonder if there is a issue.

I press the button. I hear clicks and whirrs and then bupkiss.
Then I have to lock unlock car press button, clicks whirrs then bupkiss
Rinse repeat
After the 4th -5th time it finally releases. No warnings nothing different.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

By e-tron door button, I mean the button on the charging door.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine charges fine but I do have a problem with the "Unplugged" notification. Have set notifications for "Charging Started", "Charging Completed", and "Unplugged at 10pm".

I do get the Charging Started and Charging Completed notifications but fails to send Unplugged notification if unplugged. Tested this for 3 days while unplugged for 24 hours straight and no notification. Time zone set correctly.
Notified support and they suggested to remove notifications , delete app, re-install app, re set up notifications. Tried that and still have the problem. They so far have not been able to determine why but are speaking with software development team about my issue.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have not had to charge my Edition One in nearly a month! Can you believe that???
(it maybe because it is grounded at the dealer for the recall issues...lol) They gave us a Q8 S-Line loaner, and its nice, just not the same...
Can't wait to get our car back!
Old 06-21-2019, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by suprspdway
I have not had to charge my Edition One in nearly a month! Can you believe that???
(it maybe because it is grounded at the dealer for the recall issues...lol) They gave us a Q8 S-Line loaner, and its nice, just not the same...
Can't wait to get our car back!
its good to hear Audi is doing the right thing and accommodating us nice loaners....I got an A8L......enjoying the ride while eTron in shop. I do keep an eye on the battery level to make sure it doesn't drop too low.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 125 Likes on 80 Posts

Ok! I spent some time experimenting with my 4 other EVSE L2 units. Non-Juicebox. This locking at the unplug thing is definitely a Juice box phenomenon. With my other EVSE I don't have to hit a button wait for whirs clicks etc. Unplug and I'm on my way. No negotiations.

The JB seems to be operating like a public level L2 rather than a home L2 which is asinine on so many levels. I think I'm going to get rid of it and pull my recommendation as a home charging unit. If you have a garage and charge at home don't get the Juice box. I have fiddled around with the App and there does not seem to be a way to change this behavior. One thing I have learned from driving an EV's for 10 years is that the plug and unplug needs to be quick simple painless and zero delays. Any unpredictable slow behavior gets seriously annoying over time.

Any one want a slightly used Juice Box?
Old 06-21-2019, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

I was also confused by not knowing if the J1772 plug is locked or unlocked... until I discovered that on the JuiceBox Pro plug, if you press on the release button. there is a haptic feedback (from the spring) the you can tell if it is locked or unlocked. I no longer need to attempt to pull unnecessarily when it is locked. Pulling it while it locked can jam the locking mechanism from unlocking.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Just press the "etron" button AFTER the charging is completed and within a couple of seconds you can easily pull out the plug; then a couple seconds later the door closes.

I had the plugged in NOT charging issue (Juicebox 240v 40A) at first, then I discovered the "click" sound that is required to get the thing to take off.

Now that I know the sequence (the "trick") it's easy.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default According to eTron manual...

To remove the connector after charging, the car has to be unlocked, press that same square button that opens the charging door, then one will be able to remove the connector.

As far as charging goes, with the JB, it has to click or the eTron won’t recognize its receiving e^. The led indicator on the left of the charging port tells you whether your connection is good or not.

I got my galaxy blue last week. It’s has been fun to drive and the B&O system rocks. Way better the the Bose crap that most cars have.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different problem with charging e tron

Our e tron is in the shop and the dealer is discussing a strange problem with Ingolstadt. 90% of the time when I finish charging with my JuiceBox Pro 40, the light next to the port is solid red, not green. The plug still disconnects (after a few seconds of whirs and clicks) and the car is fully charged, but I often get this annoying warning that occurs every few seconds. The manual seems to indicate that this warning may mean both of the charging port doors are open. Ingolstadt is puzzled since U.S. models have a dummy passenger side charging port door and this warning should not appear in our models. They have advised against my driving the e tron for now and I am in a loaner A6. The dealer has noted that they can replicate the problem with their L3 charger; apparently the light is red after they charge the car as well. I will update when I get more information, hopefully next week.

Last edited by Francis Y.; 07-06-2019 at 08:17 AM.