AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-e-tron-q8-e-tron-232/)
-   -   Lost all steering wheel button controls (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-e-tron-q8-e-tron-232/lost-all-steering-wheel-button-controls-2975679/)

AMFCA 07-11-2019 09:17 AM

Lost all steering wheel button controls

2 days ago I lost the functionality of all buttons on the steering wheel. No voice, no volume, no dash arrows, no regeneration paddle response, no horn. Thought it might be a software glitch, so turned off car and restarted. NADA. Stopped at a starbucks and got coffee so vehicle power cycled for second time. NADA. Same problem.

So called dealer while on way to work on highway and made an appointment for following morning. That night when leaving work for home, suddenly functions returned and was normal again. Same normal functionality the next morning when leaving to take car to dealer. Have a q8 loaner. Dealer said e-tron technical team diagnosed and needs new steering wheel and steering wheel control module. Will be down for 3+ days awaiting parts receipt.

Anyone else experienced this issue?

Alan

Midnightblue 07-11-2019 11:31 AM

I had the same issue a couple of days ago but when I restarted the car and selected Guest from the user options they all came right back. Maybe it has anything to do with the profiles being turned on but no profile selected? Have not had the issue since.

AMFCA 07-11-2019 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Midnightblue (Post 25341308)
I had the same issue a couple of days ago but when I restarted the car and selected Guest from the user options they all came right back. Maybe it has anything to do with the profiles being turned on but no profile selected? Have not had the issue since.

Thanks for the reply. I don’t think it’s profile related. I say that because the horn did not function either. A safety issue for sure. It seems to be an electrical or control module issue based on the data pulled from car during diagnosis. I would have your car checked out as you experienced the same failure (however short lived) as I. Not a good thing to have horn non operational at the time it’s needed.

AMFCA 07-18-2019 09:06 PM

Update

New steering wheel and control module/turn-signal switch installed. Got E1 back today and all is back to normal for now.
Audi Engineering team had dealer ship old parts though priority channels for evaluation of issue. They seemed quite eager to get the problem evaluated quickly.

toni77 08-03-2019 10:36 AM

Hi,

I took delivery of my e-tron black line (Europe) three weeks ago. Yesterday, after 2000km my steering wheel buttons lost all functions, I stopped the car, closed the car and nothing worked. Parked at home and maybe an hour later started the car again to check if something changed and everything worked again.

Did you had this again?

Thanks!

AMFCA 08-03-2019 11:57 AM

I would suggest you get the module and steering wheel replaced as happened with me. No problem since then.

toni77 08-03-2019 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by AMFCA (Post 25350589)
I would suggest you get the module and steering wheel replaced as happened with me. No problem since then.

Thanks, I will take it to the dealer on monday.

realfan 12-05-2019 04:57 AM

This just happened to me this morning after having owned the car for just over four months and 4,000 miles. I'm trying to get in to see my dealer today. I restarted the car several times but to no avail. Hoping it self corrects when I return to the car this afternoon but worried that I might need or should request a full steering wheel module replacement.

AMFCA 12-05-2019 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by realfan (Post 25394158)
This just happened to me this morning after having owned the car for just over four months and 4,000 miles. I'm trying to get in to see my dealer today. I restarted the car several times but to no avail. Hoping it self corrects when I return to the car this afternoon but worried that I might need or should request a full steering wheel module replacement.

Yes, and I am sure they will have no issues in doing that for you since it is and has been a known problem.

calbear92 02-26-2021 03:17 PM

This just happened to me today. Made appt for next Tuesday. Multiple faults in many modules but more 1 in steering wheel #eTronAdventuresContinue