Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

March 8 Configuration Lock Tracking (Non Edition One)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree somewhat with both of you. I’m anxious to just get the car and get the deal done. One would agree that the dealers have some right to sell at what ever price they choose, on the other hand, Audi set the price in the introduction as if that was the price $74,800-86,700. I might be naive, but I would guess there is a very firm understanding between the dealer and the manufacturer.

Otherwise, what would stop the (greedy) dealers from pricing the cars well above the MSRP, thus encouraging further reduced sales plus the damage to the brand than the 204 rating has done?
Old 04-13-2019, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts

I'm pretty sure back in the Jetta TDI heyday, before diesel gate, there were reports of dealers charging over MSRP. Demand determine price.
Old 04-13-2019, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Francis Y.
This is not true at all. It is well known that Ferrari, for example, prohibits dealers from selling new cars above MSRP. This has lead to the fairly universal practice, among Ferrari dealers, of selling new cars to their best customers, having them drive them around for a couple of months, and then selling it back to the dealer so that the dealer can then sell the car as an "used" car with low mileage at way over MSRP. In fact, to become a "best customer" you need to buy one or more of these marked up used cars.
Interesting article: https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/comp...cturer-imposed. You may need to paste this link into your browser to get it to work. It did not work for me by just clicking onto it.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm suspecting that Audi is requiring Dealers to sell the car to reservation holders for the MSRP. When I told my dealer that the car was coming too soon and would they prefer that I cancel, or let the car come to them, their reply was they wanted the car to come to them and would I please let them change the order to a more generic spec than what I had (this was before lock). I said OK. They did so and said they would "take care of me" on a reorder. I gather from this that the Dealers will be able to mark up cars that are "not taken" by the person placing the order and that they are planning to do so. Whether or not the market will support this remains to be seen.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ted99
I'm suspecting that Audi is requiring Dealers to sell the car to reservation holders for the MSRP. When I told my dealer that the car was coming too soon and would they prefer that I cancel, or let the car come to them, their reply was they wanted the car to come to them and would I please let them change the order to a more generic spec than what I had (this was before lock). I said OK. They did so and said they would "take care of me" on a reorder. I gather from this that the Dealers will be able to mark up cars that are "not taken" by the person placing the order and that they are planning to do so.

Whether or not the market will support this remains to be seen.
I am astonished that there is as much conversation among us as there is concerning the possibility of dealers marking up the MSPR of e-trons, inasmuch as there appears to be so many of us contemplating cancelling their reservations or already having done so. To me, this talk of cancelling is indicative of a "soft market" for e-trons and thus an incentive for dealers to do quite the opposite, that is, to offer discounts. In reality, for months following the first sales of e-trons, discounts are not likely nor even less likely are MSRP markups. It appears to me that dealers (at least ted99's dealer) already recognize the soft market. This conclusion is based upon his dealer asking him to "let them change the order to a more generic spec." This would lower the MSRP and thereby make the vehicle he ordered more salable in a soft market. Dealers make money on options. If his dealer contemplated a strong market, I should expect him to ask to add to the e-tron specs.

I remember in the late 1990's when it was not uncommon for the dealers of luxury vehicles such as Cadillac (Cadillac was still considered a luxury vehicle) and BMW pasted an MSRP increasing "Market Value" sticker next to the Monroney sticker. When asked "are you out of your f___ing mind," dealers would immediately remove the Market Value sticker if it meant making the deal. I just cannot imagine a dealer trying to markup the MSRP of the e-tron.

Time will tell. I am looking forward to learning the details of the first actual lease deals.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Actually, the Dealer increased the spec and cost, adding things like the "washing wipers", protection package and 22" wheels. It was already Prestige. The biggest change was from my Siam Beige over Brown to White over Black. My disclaimer about market support was my back-handed way of saying that I agree with your postulation of a soft market. There might be a small number of cars sold at a premium at launch, but I don't see how that is sustainable. The i-Pace forum reports that there is a full sales year of inventory, at current sales rate, of 2019 i-Pace's at dealers (aggregated across the country) and production of Model year 2020 is about to begin. Many of the Jag models, including the i-Pace, are getting a factory $5K discount or 0% financing incentive. Some SoCal dealers have almost 40% of their inventory as i-Pace's. Their speculation is that the i-Pace will be awarded "Car of the Year" at the NY Auto show. If that happens, but sales don't get a bump, further discounts are almost certain. That will have a flow-on effect on Audi e-Tron sales. Speculation is that EV sales were accelerated because of the rush of buyers to get the full EV tax credit for Tesla, and there are not a lot of EV buyers waiting in the wings, at present. I asked a Jag i-Pace salesman why their residuals were so low for lease deals and his reply was that EV resale values are low because of the rapid improvement in technology. Tesla is now leasing, but I haven't looked at their residuals.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Well said.

Originally Posted by ted99
Actually, the Dealer increased the spec and cost, adding things like the "washing wipers", protection package and 22" wheels. It was already Prestige. The biggest change was from my Siam Beige over Brown to White over Black. My disclaimer about market support was my back-handed way of saying that I agree with your postulation of a soft market. There might be a small number of cars sold at a premium at launch, but I don't see how that is sustainable. The i-Pace forum reports that there is a full sales year of inventory, at current sales rate, of 2019 i-Pace's at dealers (aggregated across the country) and production of Model year 2020 is about to begin. Many of the Jag models, including the i-Pace, are getting a factory $5K discount or 0% financing incentive. Some SoCal dealers have almost 40% of their inventory as i-Pace's. Their speculation is that the i-Pace will be awarded "Car of the Year" at the NY Auto show. If that happens, but sales don't get a bump, further discounts are almost certain. That will have a flow-on effect on Audi e-Tron sales. Speculation is that EV sales were accelerated because of the rush of buyers to get the full EV tax credit for Tesla, and there are not a lot of EV buyers waiting in the wings, at present. I asked a Jag i-Pace salesman why their residuals were so low for lease deals and his reply was that EV resale values are low because of the rapid improvement in technology. Tesla is now leasing, but I haven't looked at their residuals.
Well said.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

I suspect that Audi will do OK by just diverting their production away from the US. We are in a strange environment right now, but the rest of the world is charging ahead (pun intended).
Old 04-18-2019, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by njjoe
A number of us had our configurations locked on March 8. I thought it might be interesting to see how those deliveries are coming along. For example, I have a Prestige that locked on March 8 and went into gearing up for production several days later and still is in that status. Audi customer support (not the website) gave me a production date of April 5. I have read at least one person with a March 8 lock date is already shipped. The website seems to lag updated info. Tell us what you know!
Changed to in production this morning 4/18
Old 05-15-2019, 04:54 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

My order changed to "Leaving the Factory" today, May 15th.

Quick Reply: March 8 Configuration Lock Tracking (Non Edition One)