AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-e-tron-q8-e-tron-232/)
-   -   Mobile data consumption (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-e-tron-q8-e-tron-232/mobile-data-consumption-2975542/)

fideba 07-09-2019 01:39 AM

Mobile data consumption

I've put a SIM card into my car in order to have the full satellite view (let's be clear, you need to have satellite view :-)). However, I've noticed that the amount of mobile data it consumes is huge. I've now consumed 14GB since June 14th (driving the car about 2h/day). That's a massive amount of data, about 0.6GB/day (we don't have a lot of unlimited data plans over here).
Are you guys seeing similar consumption ?

e-tronDriver 07-09-2019 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by fideba (Post 25340224)
I've put a SIM card into my car in order to have the full satellite view (let's be clear, you need to have satellite view :-)). However, I've noticed that the amount of mobile data it consumes is huge. I've now consumed 14GB since June 14th (driving the car about 2h/day). That's a massive amount of data, about 0.6GB/day (we don't have a lot of unlimited data plans over here).
Are you guys seeing similar consumption ?

In the US, the car comes with a SIM installed (I believe the carrier is AT&T), and with a few months of free Audi Connect services, so in general I don't think anyone here is paying attention to data use. Additionally, I think the Audi Connect subscription plans include unlimited data, so data usage isn't an issue here.

hrc1079 07-09-2019 11:46 AM

It's all covered under the Audi Connect plans in the US. I don't think the car actually has a SIM in it anymore but uses an eSIM. Everyone gets 6 months of free Audi Connect as part of buying the car. Once the free trial expires, get your wallet out because the subscription isn't cheap nor do you have the option to pay monthly, 6 or 12 months only. The Wifi hotspot is an additional fee on top of Audi Connect also.

LavaGrau_A3 07-09-2019 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by hrc1079 (Post 25340453)
It's all covered under the Audi Connect plans in the US. I don't think the car actually has a SIM in it anymore but uses an eSIM. Everyone gets 6 months of free Audi Connect as part of buying the car. Once the free trial expires, get your wallet out because the subscription isn't cheap nor do you have the option to pay monthly, 6 or 12 months only. The Wifi hotspot is an additional fee on top of Audi Connect also.

Audi has solved the high cost of Audi Connect services problem: I'm using my Audi Care recall rebate to pay for it! Doesn't sting so much anymore. :D

hrc1079 07-09-2019 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by LavaGrau_A3 (Post 25340465)
Audi has solved the high cost of Audi Connect services problem: I'm using my Audi Care recall rebate to pay for it! Doesn't sting so much anymore. :D

Lol! Well not all of us got a rebate! 😛

Ed Barron 07-10-2019 12:01 PM

It would be nice to be able to use carriers other than AT&T. Can the SIM card be switched overseas? I wonder if we can switch it in the states.

SCarGuy 07-10-2019 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ed Barron (Post 25340878)
It would be nice to be able to use carriers other than AT&T. Can the SIM card be switched overseas? I wonder if we can switch it in the states.

it's not changeable in the US, it's embedded. Not sure about elsewhere