Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi e-Tron
Reload this Page >

Mobile data consumption

Audi e-Tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-Tron SUV.

Mobile data consumption

Old 07-09-2019, 01:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mobile data consumption

I've put a SIM card into my car in order to have the full satellite view (let's be clear, you need to have satellite view :-)). However, I've noticed that the amount of mobile data it consumes is huge. I've now consumed 14GB since June 14th (driving the car about 2h/day). That's a massive amount of data, about 0.6GB/day (we don't have a lot of unlimited data plans over here).
Are you guys seeing similar consumption ?
Old 07-09-2019, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fideba View Post
I've put a SIM card into my car in order to have the full satellite view (let's be clear, you need to have satellite view :-)). However, I've noticed that the amount of mobile data it consumes is huge. I've now consumed 14GB since June 14th (driving the car about 2h/day). That's a massive amount of data, about 0.6GB/day (we don't have a lot of unlimited data plans over here).
Are you guys seeing similar consumption ?
In the US, the car comes with a SIM installed (I believe the carrier is AT&T), and with a few months of free Audi Connect services, so in general I don't think anyone here is paying attention to data use. Additionally, I think the Audi Connect subscription plans include unlimited data, so data usage isn't an issue here.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's all covered under the Audi Connect plans in the US. I don't think the car actually has a SIM in it anymore but uses an eSIM. Everyone gets 6 months of free Audi Connect as part of buying the car. Once the free trial expires, get your wallet out because the subscription isn't cheap nor do you have the option to pay monthly, 6 or 12 months only. The Wifi hotspot is an additional fee on top of Audi Connect also.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hrc1079 View Post
It's all covered under the Audi Connect plans in the US. I don't think the car actually has a SIM in it anymore but uses an eSIM. Everyone gets 6 months of free Audi Connect as part of buying the car. Once the free trial expires, get your wallet out because the subscription isn't cheap nor do you have the option to pay monthly, 6 or 12 months only. The Wifi hotspot is an additional fee on top of Audi Connect also.
Audi has solved the high cost of Audi Connect services problem: I'm using my Audi Care recall rebate to pay for it! Doesn't sting so much anymore.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LavaGrau_A3 View Post
Audi has solved the high cost of Audi Connect services problem: I'm using my Audi Care recall rebate to pay for it! Doesn't sting so much anymore.
Lol! Well not all of us got a rebate! 😛
Old 07-10-2019, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

It would be nice to be able to use carriers other than AT&T. Can the SIM card be switched overseas? I wonder if we can switch it in the states.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Barron View Post
It would be nice to be able to use carriers other than AT&T. Can the SIM card be switched overseas? I wonder if we can switch it in the states.
it's not changeable in the US, it's embedded. Not sure about elsewhere