Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi e-Tron
Reload this Page >

multiple phones and CarPlay

Audi e-Tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-Tron SUV.

multiple phones and CarPlay

Old 05-15-2019, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default multiple phones and CarPlay

Have multiple phones configured for use with CarPlay on our e-Tron. It is not at all clear which one the car picks to use when the car is turned on an more than one of the phones is present. And when it picks the wrong one it is not at all clear how to change it. I think there may be a sequence where you go back to MMI mode then go Phone Apps and select the proper phone. However, our car is now all confused and at the point that none of them ever seem to be able to connect. It's also not clear how to have the car forget a phone that's been connected via CarPlay - or I'd "forget" them all and try reconfiguring them.

Anyone have any experience with multiple phones?
Old 05-15-2019, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I do not know about multiple phones... but I found myself being annoyed with the CarPlay in general. I wanted to get the car to forget my phone and stop auto connecting. I figured out that I needed to "Forget this Car" from my phone's CarPlay setting. It worked. you can also disable the auto-connect feature in the phone settings. Try that...
Old 05-16-2019, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mjeaton View Post
I do not know about multiple phones... but I found myself being annoyed with the CarPlay in general. I wanted to get the car to forget my phone and stop auto connecting. I figured out that I needed to "Forget this Car" from my phone's CarPlay setting. It worked. you can also disable the auto-connect feature in the phone settings. Try that...
As it turns out when you are in the screen that shows the phones paired with CarPlay you can press and hold on each listed phone. On phones that aren't currently in use there is a delete option. So that takes care of those. For any that are in use you can do the Forget this Car option and then it will also go away.

I then re-paired my phone and CarPlay works again. Now, the question will be does the system get confused again on a go forward basis.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Auto switching between the driver’s phone and passenger’s phone should be part of the software with preference given to the former. If not, it is a software issue that should be corrected as part of an update. My etron is presently on a truck being shipped from Port Houston(?) per my sales rep. As he is a techie of sorts he delved deep into the latest MMI stuff telling me that such things as the car play is much improved so that fans of Google Maps and WAZE can now use those apps on the middle screen. I’ll ask him to carefully explain the 2-phone issue when I take delivery in a week or so and report back unless another member has already covered it in the meantime.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by oh0150 View Post
Auto switching between the driverís phone and passengerís phone should be part of the software with preference given to the former. If not, it is a software issue that should be corrected as part of an update. My etron is presently on a truck being shipped from Port Houston(?) per my sales rep. As he is a techie of sorts he delved deep into the latest MMI stuff telling me that such things as the car play is much improved so that fans of Google Maps and WAZE can now use those apps on the middle screen. Iíll ask him to carefully explain the 2-phone issue when I take delivery in a week or so and report back unless another member has already covered it in the meantime.
The current software definitely seems buggy. When 2 of us with paired phones are in the car it always seems to pick the wrong phone. When you go to the screen to select which phone to select you just can't select a different phone. No matter how many times you press the button for the other phone it just will not select it.

Anyone know how to submit bug reports to Audi and/or if Audio monitors forums like this to learn of issues?