Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

multiple phones and CarPlay

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default multiple phones and CarPlay

Have multiple phones configured for use with CarPlay on our e-Tron. It is not at all clear which one the car picks to use when the car is turned on an more than one of the phones is present. And when it picks the wrong one it is not at all clear how to change it. I think there may be a sequence where you go back to MMI mode then go Phone Apps and select the proper phone. However, our car is now all confused and at the point that none of them ever seem to be able to connect. It's also not clear how to have the car forget a phone that's been connected via CarPlay - or I'd "forget" them all and try reconfiguring them.

Anyone have any experience with multiple phones?
The following 2 users liked this post by avie:
TampaEtron (06-04-2021), wiltjk (08-12-2022)
Old 05-15-2019, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do not know about multiple phones... but I found myself being annoyed with the CarPlay in general. I wanted to get the car to forget my phone and stop auto connecting. I figured out that I needed to "Forget this Car" from my phone's CarPlay setting. It worked. you can also disable the auto-connect feature in the phone settings. Try that...
Old 05-16-2019, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mjeaton
I do not know about multiple phones... but I found myself being annoyed with the CarPlay in general. I wanted to get the car to forget my phone and stop auto connecting. I figured out that I needed to "Forget this Car" from my phone's CarPlay setting. It worked. you can also disable the auto-connect feature in the phone settings. Try that...
As it turns out when you are in the screen that shows the phones paired with CarPlay you can press and hold on each listed phone. On phones that aren't currently in use there is a delete option. So that takes care of those. For any that are in use you can do the Forget this Car option and then it will also go away.

I then re-paired my phone and CarPlay works again. Now, the question will be does the system get confused again on a go forward basis.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:33 AM
SWFla-eTron

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Auto switching between the driver’s phone and passenger’s phone should be part of the software with preference given to the former. If not, it is a software issue that should be corrected as part of an update. My etron is presently on a truck being shipped from Port Houston(?) per my sales rep. As he is a techie of sorts he delved deep into the latest MMI stuff telling me that such things as the car play is much improved so that fans of Google Maps and WAZE can now use those apps on the middle screen. I’ll ask him to carefully explain the 2-phone issue when I take delivery in a week or so and report back unless another member has already covered it in the meantime.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by oh0150
Auto switching between the driver’s phone and passenger’s phone should be part of the software with preference given to the former. If not, it is a software issue that should be corrected as part of an update. My etron is presently on a truck being shipped from Port Houston(?) per my sales rep. As he is a techie of sorts he delved deep into the latest MMI stuff telling me that such things as the car play is much improved so that fans of Google Maps and WAZE can now use those apps on the middle screen. I’ll ask him to carefully explain the 2-phone issue when I take delivery in a week or so and report back unless another member has already covered it in the meantime.
The current software definitely seems buggy. When 2 of us with paired phones are in the car it always seems to pick the wrong phone. When you go to the screen to select which phone to select you just can't select a different phone. No matter how many times you press the button for the other phone it just will not select it.

Anyone know how to submit bug reports to Audi and/or if Audio monitors forums like this to learn of issues?
Old 05-05-2021, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

A couple of years and a couple of firmware updates later this is still a problem for us. On one hand, connecting to *an* iPhone seems more reliable now, on the other hand it's hard to predict which one will get connected and if it's the wrong one I still can't figure out how to change it. Anyone got this figured out and working?
Old 05-05-2021, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 535 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by avie
A couple of years and a couple of firmware updates later this is still a problem for us. On one hand, connecting to *an* iPhone seems more reliable now, on the other hand it's hard to predict which one will get connected and if it's the wrong one I still can't figure out how to change it. Anyone got this figured out and working?
If the iPhone forces the Audi to connect to whichever phone starts negotiations first, then you are up the creek with regard to having it connect to a preferred phone. If not, have you tried seeing if the phone preference is saved in your Personal profile? For that, you would start the car, set everything up the way you wanted, stop the car, get out close the door and lock and unlock the car with the key fob buttons. That should save those settings to that key fob. Next time the car should default to the fob associated with that fob, or you can select it on the Profile startup screen on the Cockpit display when you get into the car.

Does the phone show up in the "Streaming Page"? (Accessed via to button with the two musical notes). I'm an Android person, but for me when I'm in the car that screen shows my phone, my Amazon Music link, and my Amazon Alexa link (I have the Prime and Prime Plus subscriptions). I just push on the icon button for the feature I want to use. (Actually, Alexa can be directly activated by voice command, as well).
Old 05-05-2021, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have been seeing this same issue with our two-week old etron. When we’re going somewhere together I’m usually in the etron first so my iPhone connects and there is no conflict, that is until I leave the car, like grabbing a mobile order at Starbucks. Once I leave the etron, my wife’s iPhone connects and it takes several attempts to get her phone disconnected and mine reconnected. I’ve even had her power down her phone and it still takes a few attempts to disconnect her phone and reconnect mine. Not sure if it’s an MMI sw issue or a CarPlay issue, but it definitely needs some work to improve the UI and switch between devices.
Old 05-06-2021, 03:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

FWIW, I experienced the same behavior in my I-Pace. The I-Pace does not have wireless CarPlay, so I bought a wireless dongle that plugs into a USB port, giving the car wireless capability. When I’d leave the car briefly, the system would then pick my wife’s phone and we’d find it very difficult to get the system to switch back to my phone when I returned to the car. We’d often have to unplug the dongle multiple times before it would pick my phone.

So this seems to be more of a CarPlay thing than an Audi thing.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:36 AM
SWFla-eTron

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

As I’m an old fart and don’t understand this technical stuff, I called my service rep at the dealership and had the MMI expert visit me and my wife to set up our new iPhones. I noted that among the number of things he did was to remove all previous iPhones loaded in the system. He also made certain that both the phones and the Audi had the latest operating system. Now when I get into the car everything loads so I can use all the stuff on my iPhone via Car Play (e.g., Waze, Audible, Message). Interestingly, our BMW’s system recognized our new iPhones without a hitch. If not, their “Genius” would have been here, too. BTW, our ‘19 eTron has become our main local driver with the ‘21 BMW 750 used mainly for our frequent trips between Naples and Tampa. These journeys would require 3 charging stops that can be painfully slow at EA stations on a hot Florida day when the eTron has likewise been “ridden hard n hot.” The Bimmer can make it without stopping for fuel if necessary.

Quick Reply: multiple phones and CarPlay