AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-e-tron-q8-e-tron-232/)
-   -   New e-tron commercial (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-e-tron-q8-e-tron-232/new-e-tron-commercial-2970300/)

alexlear 04-09-2019 10:18 AM

New e-tron commercial

I love the fact that Audi is making compelling commercials to promote e-tron and EVs in general.

This commercial shows the e-tron in unexpected situations for an EV.

In some ways you could make the argument that some of it promotes it's competition (based on range, charging network, and performance). However, still good to see. Good work Audi!

LavaGrau_A3 04-09-2019 10:59 AM

I like. Some irony in the range department, but some vague cold weather promises in there too.

hrc1079 04-09-2019 12:52 PM

I don't get this ad. You don't need to wait at chargers??? yes you do, because the mileage is poor. Lol! It's like this ad is a big "F*ck you" from Audi. Got an issue with the mileage (which they don't mention in the ad) then go elsewhere.

alexlear 04-09-2019 01:18 PM

On that topic, when I route trips with the e-tron (and the current EA infrastructure) it usually requires charging stops way past 80% charge level to get the range needed, causing the wait times to be high. This kind of negates the benefit Audi has of the 150kw charging. This will change when EA cuts the distance between chargers in half but the current state is not great.

Max range and efficiency is just as important as high charge rates. I hope this is addressed in Audis future designs.

The standard disclaimer... the e-tron is probably the best EV available otherwise so it all depends on what the owner wants from their ownership experience.

BlackOptic 04-09-2019 01:49 PM

...For 98% of your needs; to get to work, get groceries, drop the kids off at school, go to the gym, go to the mountain (in snow), go to the beach (in heat... and, I live near said beach), go to mountain biking... and go to dinner...

...this car is for you. (And, I'll be charging at home.)

For the (2%) times you want to do a road trip, drop your kid at college (one state way)...

...this car is not for you.

Audi damage control in overdrive.

Reliantg 04-09-2019 02:13 PM

I filled up in my Q8 last Thursday...drove to work and back Thurs/Fri, went out for meals and social engagements Sat/Sun, and back to work Mon/Tues...so far I've driven 175 miles since then...at first I was sad/anxious about the range but I realized I'm still not charging it every day, or every other day. The e-tron has more than enough range for my daily needs.

LavaGrau_A3 04-09-2019 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by alexlear (Post 25301276)
On that topic, when I route trips with the e-tron (and the current EA infrastructure) it usually requires charging stops way past 80% charge level to get the range needed, causing the wait times to be high.

Charges to 80% at 150kW and then linearly drops to 50kW at "100%". That's only another 10 minutes. Basically 10-100% in less than 45 minutes. Anytime I stop at an EA 150kW fast charger, I'm going to 100%. With as little long distance driving as I do, it'll be free for as long as I have the car. No brainer.

Originally Posted by hrc1079 (Post 25301258)
Got an issue with the mileage (which they don't mention in the ad) then go elsewhere.

The I-PACE is equally luxurious and EPA rated a full 30 miles higher. ;)

LavaGrau_A3 04-09-2019 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by BlackOptic (Post 25301296)
For the (2%) times you want to do a road trip, drop your kid at college (one state way)...

...this car is not for you.

Audi damage control in overdrive.

That's me! Already planned out. I'm set based on the Electrify America Cycle 1 stations. A Better Routeplanner has the Tesla X 100D three stopping from here to Eugene, total charge time 1:24. The e-tron, including the new EA stations three stops as well, although I think charge time will be 20-25 minutes higher due to charging to higher levels at two of the stops. Small victories.

Tom-ETRON 04-09-2019 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by alexlear (Post 25301276)
On that topic, when I route trips with the e-tron (and the current EA infrastructure) it usually requires charging stops way past 80% charge level to get the range needed, causing the wait times to be high. This kind of negates the benefit Audi has of the 150kw charging. This will change when EA cuts the distance between chargers in half but the current state is not great.

Max range and efficiency is just as important as high charge rates. I hope this is addressed in Audis future designs.

The standard disclaimer... the e-tron is probably the best EV available otherwise so it all depends on what the owner wants from their ownership experience.

Have you looked at EA on PlugShare today, seems a map update is underway, all the locations I told you about before being added, plus a few new ones, looks like 25 locations in WA state now...

alexlear 04-09-2019 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tom-ETRON (Post 25301390)
Have you looked at EA on PlugShare today, seems a map update is underway, all the locations I told you about before being added, plus a few new ones, looks like 25 locations in WA state now...

Yes, I saw the Smelterville and Yakima locations show up when I looked an hour ago. Thanks for the heads up on those! That's going to raise my highway speed and lower the range anxiety and charge times, especially in winter. I'm still hoping for that Moses Lake/Ritzville,WA location but I'm happy with the progress.