Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

>>Official E-tron Debate Thread<<

Old 09-21-2018, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Anybody else want a TTRS e-tron?
Old 09-21-2018, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kurtatx
Audi needs to go ahead and create an A4-size e-tron car.
I watched the Official unveiling of the e-tron from San Francisco the other night & I seem to remember Scott Keogh mentioning that in the next few years they will be releasing 20+ new electric vehicles & half will be full electric. Stands to reason there will be something for pretty much everybody in that mix.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think it's a great option and not a bad value

Not trying to argue, but there is my opinion as an EV beginner:

Some people seem disappointed in the range (248), but Tesla 75D sedan only gets 10 miles more for about the same price and Model X gets 10 less for few grand more. I guess Tesla offers more range options, but if you are not willing to spend 100 grand, then this is very respectable.
E-tron styling is more traditional which is a plus for a lot of us. While it's subjective, I think model S is cool, but X is not that attractive. I also don't want model S because it's probably due for a redesign soon and I don't want to be stuck with an "old" style model for the next 8-10 years
I think everyone would agree that Audi interior is superior and the build quality control/reliability should be hopefully better too
While I think that Radar Cruise Control and other stuff in the Driver Assistance Package should be included (since they are standard on even Accord and Camry these days), even the base e-tron seems loaded (360 degree camera, Navi, digital cockpit, and other cool stuff is included). I guess Model X is a bit quicker, but I currently have a Range Rover Sport HSE and e-tron should be a full second faster than RRS.
Overall, I am pleased with this combination of size, utility, range, equipment, and style. Hopefully, I am not wrong and I will be happy with it (and the whole EV experience in general) when it arrives.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lxr184, since you’re coming from an rrs, did you consider the I-pace? What pushed you towards th e-Tron?
Old 09-23-2018, 04:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cgiard
Lxr184, since you’re coming from an rrs, did you consider the I-pace? What pushed you towards th e-Tron?
Mainly the looks. It's subjective, but I am not crazy about I-pace. On the other hand, I think e-tron looks nice and has the same interior as A6, A7, etc. It's a bit larger than the Jag with a bit more range (although I-pace appears to be faster). The GVWR of I-pace is 5886. Since e-tron is a big bigger, I am hoping that the GVWR will be 6001+ which may allow me to take an additional business tax deduction.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I can definitely see the points about style (very subjective thing for everyone) and the tax break. For me the towing capability and Audi being generally more reliable than JLR are making the choice harder (I prefer the i-pace looks and faster acceleration). I wouldn’t count on the e-Tron having more range though. Audi is saying the e-Tron got 248mi on the WLTP cycle, not EPA. The i-pace got 292mi on the WLTP cycle, with an EPA estimate of 240 (though I have read some stories that both could be dropped by about 15-20).
Old 09-23-2018, 05:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cgiard
I can definitely see the points about style (very subjective thing for everyone) and the tax break. For me the towing capability and Audi being generally more reliable than JLR are making the choice harder (I prefer the i-pace looks and faster acceleration). I wouldn’t count on the e-Tron having more range though. Audi is saying the e-Tron got 248mi on the WLTP cycle, not EPA. The i-pace got 292mi on the WLTP cycle, with an EPA estimate of 240 (though I have read some stories that both could be dropped by about 15-20).
The WLTP/EPA discrepancy concerns me. Everyone was saying how WLTP is a tough new standard, but I guess it's just tougher than EU old standard. Compared to EPA it does seem a bit... optimistic. Although, I found that some cars actually did better than WLTP in independent testing (Kia Soul +18%, eGolf +6%), i-pace and leaf did a lot worse. I hope e-tron is more like eGolf in that respect.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:39 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

The VAST majority of buyers globally are looking at SUV. Compact and midsize sedan are a dying market for all brands. Audi chose the SUV platform because that's what people are buying. And it was going to be expensive anyway, so going full lux made the most sense. Honestly for 74k, it's a lot of car. It will have everything that everyone wants standard.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Test Drove Model X yesterday, sticking with e-tron for now

In order to get at least some EV driving experience I drove Model X since it's the closest thing I could find. The X design was never my thing, but it is undeniably a high-tech car of the future. Having said that, the cost (even for 75D) quickly got out of control. $2500 for red paint? $3000 for fake leather? More expensive to begin with, smaller refund, etc, etc. Another thing I found annoying is the aggressiveness of the energy recuperation system. Every time I took my foot of the gas, it was like putting the car in first gear but without all the noise. With e-tron I should be able to control that with paddle shifters. I think I'll stick with e-tron for now.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 160 Likes on 115 Posts

I think that Audi, BMW and Mercedes decided to jump into the expensive end of the pool first is good business sense. There is more room here to handle production cost uncertainties and the volumes will be lower. In the event there are some growing pains ther will be fewer cars to update. Once they feel they have the technology well in hand they will start to introduce lower price, higher volume vehicles.

Before I put down money on an EV I want to see how they perform in the real world of the northeast through the winter. I want to know how the range is affected in the winter. People I know who have plugin hybrids and current generation electrics with resistive cabin heating lose a lot of range. There are three big effects

1. Cold batteries have less range.
2. To make the batteries function well they need to be warmed up. The preconditioning while plugged in will help when you leave home in the morning and you can precondition while plugged in but if I drive to VT to, ski at the end of the day the only energy to warm the batteries will be from what is left in the batteries. There goes more range
3. My wife does not like cold so the batteries need to heat the cabin and run the seat heaters. The heat pump will be more efficient that resistive heating and Audi claims they will use the excess battery heat (once they warm up) to help heat the cabin. This is a luxury car and I will not want to suffer in a cold interior in order to have enough range to get home after a day on the slopes so I will turn on the heat. There goes even more range.

Who here in the northeast is going to get one and report back honestly?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: >>Official E-tron Debate Thread<<