Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Only getting 172 miles after a full charge?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 125 Likes on 80 Posts

Ok! I got to do a long 40 minute test drive on the dealer test drive prestige Etron today. 21" turbine wheels. I have been driving various EV's for 10 years now and efficiency is automatic in how I drive. I don't think about it.

Driving the Etron fairly spirited 85f degrees, A/C blasting, 70mph mixed in, I easily got 2.6 miles / kwh. It is immediately apparent this is not a one pedal car in term of efficiency. This is a car that is meant to coast. Apply the brake as little as possible. All the Volt drivers will immediately know what I mean. Volt drivers should not have any difficulty exceeding EPA. I3 owners will unfortunately struggle. The acceleration is so effortless and relentless that it is very easy to go out of the efficiency band. The old Volt meatball. or the I3 bar.

We will see when I get my ordered car next week. Hopefully I can dial in a sweet spot, over inflate tires just a tad, coast more, disable some of the overkill.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by DMcDnald
I'm guessing everyone driving around in an e-tron at the moment is driving on 21 inch wheels. That should result in a roughly 10% range penalty compared to the 19 inch wheels, which I'm sure is what the EPA range is based upon.
Audi's figures, based on WLTP testing, show a penalty of about 6.8% for 21" versus 19". The point you are making is valid, but 10% is a bit steep.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Reliantg
Drive in eco and don't stomp it? That's not fun but that's gonna up your range a lot. I can get 230-240 driving like an old person
Haha... This is my first electric car. I don't quite understand the amount of hand wringing and general grumpiness over real world range. Do these same people post concerns over the MPG they would get on gas cars? If that's your thing don't buy an SUV... if that's your thing don't buy a luxury car. Buy a Prius...

For a couple days I drove in Eco Mode, 65 mph, just to see what kind of range the car can do. I was getting 2.5+ mi/kWh (sub 40kW/100 mi). The car can do its EPA range and slightly more... yawn.

This car is much more fun to drive in Auto/Dynamic mode. Quick accelerating, zipping around traffic and hugging the road around curves. I love how the car responds. I love driving this car. I plug it in twice a week to recharge and never look back. Have fun people!
The following users liked this post:
e-TronCurious (01-31-2020)
Old 05-25-2019, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeaton
Haha... This is my first electric car. I don't quite understand the amount of hand wringing and general grumpiness over real world range. Do these same people post concerns over the MPG they would get on gas cars? If that's your thing don't buy an SUV... if that's your thing don't buy a luxury car. Buy a Prius...

For a couple days I drove in Eco Mode, 65 mph, just to see what kind of range the car can do. I was getting 2.5+ mi/kWh (sub 40kW/100 mi). The car can do its EPA range and slightly more... yawn.

This car is much more fun to drive in Auto/Dynamic mode. Quick accelerating, zipping around traffic and hugging the road around curves. I love how the car responds. I love driving this car. I plug it in twice a week to recharge and never look back. Have fun people!
Totally agree. My last brand new purchased SUV (I still own) is a LR3. I didn't opt for the RAV4, Honda Element, and the Lincoln Navigator ! Energy driving costs is a small percentage of most household budget / purchase decision.