Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Perhaps incoming software updates?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by hrc1079
Clearly, this MMI software wasn't written from the ground up for the e-Tron.
As is, the software could not have possibly have gone through more than some cursory QA, once installed on an actual pre-production vehicle. I get the backwards/procedural German way of thinking vis-a-vis everything and I've been tolerating its expression in automotive user interface implementation for decades now. However, most of what we're experiencing with the eTron is not that. It's pure lack of QA, and that is not very German of them. On the other hand, that's the case with pretty much all of their software these days, so maybe it is a very neo-German thing after all. I dare y'all to start a booking on lufthansa.com and press the back button or anything other than "Next", mid-transaction.

If only they dropped the effin attitude, showed some respect for what we've paid them and proceeded to take our feedback and make the software as wonderful as the rest of the car is. Wouldn't that be nice ... and painless ... and profitable?

Last edited by Tronification; 12-10-2019 at 11:41 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tronification:
e-tronDriver (12-12-2019), LavaGrau_A3 (12-10-2019), Raj Rao (12-12-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts

[QUOTE=If only they dropped the effin attitude, showed some respect for what we've paid them and proceeded to take our feedback and make the software as wonderful as the rest of the car is. Wouldn't that be nice ... and painless ... and profitable?[/QUOTE]

Exactly! Even a simple "we know there are issues and looking to address them as quickly as possible" would suffice \ appease people rather than just deny, deny, deny.
The following 2 users liked this post by hrc1079:
LavaGrau_A3 (12-10-2019), Raj Rao (12-12-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I heard a similar story from my dealer last week that there will be a software upgrade to existing e-Trons in early 2020. I posted that information in a similar thread and I have to think that this is something that Audi knows it has to do. It would be crazy to not update existing vehicles to some extent and fall behind the rest of the market so soon out of the gate. I believe that there will a rational outcome here but perhaps not as soon as many of us had hoped.

Last edited by realfan; 12-10-2019 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 125 Likes on 80 Posts

Yup! me too. My dealer told me today there an update on the way. Not sure what they are updating but some manner of update. I doubt it will change the performance of the car in anyway.

By the way if anyone else is dealing with refilling their friggin washer fluid every 7-10 days apparently a software tweak if possible to stop that behavior which my dealer applied today. We shall see how it goes. If the washer fluid runs out the rear electronics starts throwing error codes about the license plate light and rear wiring in general. Apparently Audi is aware of this issue. maybe update on the way.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by theo1000
Yup! me too. My dealer told me today there an update on the way. Not sure what they are updating but some manner of update. I doubt it will change the performance of the car in anyway.

By the way if anyone else is dealing with refilling their friggin washer fluid every 7-10 days apparently a software tweak if possible to stop that behavior which my dealer applied today. We shall see how it goes. If the washer fluid runs out the rear electronics starts throwing error codes about the license plate light and rear wiring in general. Apparently Audi is aware of this issue. maybe update on the way.
So you can get a software tweak for your damn washer fluid but nothing else is available. Nice to see Audi's priorities! Got to save water!!! LOL
The following users liked this post:
Tronification (12-10-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

So you can get a software tweak for your damn washer fluid but nothing else is available. Nice to see Audi's priorities! Got to save water!!! LOL
I'm going to upvote this while sobbing in my bavarian beer (which, unlike the eTron's software, is actually brewed properly).

e-TronCurious (01-31-2020)
Old 12-10-2019, 10:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 296 Likes on 161 Posts

Yes, all this was supposed to be coming "mid 2019" and what have you seen from Audi regarding this? crickets!!. I understand the Matrix lights not being available to activate as they're illegal in the US but driver assistance features were supposed to be added along with park assist etc. It's frustrating to see a purchases menu and nothing in it. How hard would it have been to hide the menu until something was available. Every time i've asked the dealer or Audi about when these additional MMI "functions on demand" will be available they have no idea what i'm talking about. Maybe you're right, the software is so plagued with issues and connectivity problems that Audi has just given up!
Hey Dude:

I get that you're frustrated, but there is a lot of negative energy coming consistently from your posts. You don't know any more than the rest of us what Audi's plan is for software updates. I have heard similar stories to what other posters have said which is that there is an expected update for these cars: in my case, this comes from management level staff at two different (and unaffiliated) Audi dealerships so there is a good chance that Audi corporate is at least letting their dealer network know some limited information. Both people are what I would call "no BS" and this has been backed up by over a decade of exceptional customer service and I feel are giving me the best information that they currently know.

In terms of Audi Corporate releasing that information: I can't see why they should say anything before they do. It would - of course - be nice if they did hint at something and obviously there are problems that need to be dealt with. But this is also a HUGE company and the situation is VERY complex: cars for different countries, multiple different sources of infrastructure for chargers, two major phone apps, one of which is essentially open source, different vehicle build dates, new products being launched, and some big company German conservatism.

Also, as far as possible updates, there are two distinct topics here:
  1. Software fixes: this should be expected but it will take time and big companies will ideally want to do their homework as fixes can invariably bring out other unintended issues. Yes, there are problems with the current MMI, but some of the ire needs to be directed to the buggy Apple Carplay and the terrible Android Auto. Personally I don't touch either of those two products because frankly they both suck. The cable release issue is arguably the biggest issue that needs to be remedied ASAP because this is a vehicle breaking bug. The rest are essentially quality of life issues.
  2. Range updates: this is absolutely a nice to have. We all knew what the range of the car was when we purchased it. Yes, I'm sure that many of us also knew that there should be - in theory - easily accessed (i.e. software, not hardware) methods to update / improve / increase range and some of these were detailed in the thread about increased range: reducing parasitic loses, improving algorithms, software updates to regen ability and obviously increasing the usable portion of the battery. And hopefully they do this, because it would start to tackle what is probably - on paper - the one major stat that would potentially sway someone away from purchasing this car: 204 mile / 320km EPA range. I can't see any reason why this car shouldn't eventually get a 10-15% overall increase in range with zero hardware changes. Wouldn't 235 miles / 370km EPA range sound nice? I'm sure this would take some time and significant internal and external pressure to get there but it should be possible - eventually.
But until such updates come - or do not come - we really can only speculate and I'm going to consider myself happy if in 4 years the car has been reliable and drives essentially as it does now.

Last edited by biff2bart; 12-11-2019 at 12:45 AM.
The following 12 users liked this post by biff2bart:
alevek (12-11-2019), Apollo1403 (02-26-2020), baherrick (12-11-2019), BonedaleA4 (12-11-2019), brunswick496 (02-29-2020), e-tronDriver (12-12-2019), Hotbox3443 (12-11-2019), jberb55 (12-11-2019), LavaGrau_A3 (12-11-2019), Raj Rao (12-12-2019), theo1000 (12-11-2019), TonySCV (01-01-2020) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-11-2019, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Audi of Germany is the reason why OTA updates haven't become a thing yet. They want to maintain a strict dealership model in the US and are refusing to make OTA a thing other than for map updates. And regarding software updates that do exist, even with video evidence of both my screens going black and knowing there's a software update to fix it, the dealership told me two things. 1) Since they can't see the issue themselves, they won't provide the update. 2) Apparently my vehicle VIN doesn't match what vehicles are "allowed" to receive that update. Audi needs to get the sh*t together and overhaul both their approach to EV build/troubleshooting as well as software updates outside of the dealership model.
hrc1079 (12-11-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by theo1000

Thank you theo 1000, for mentioning the washer fluid / license plate warning light connection! Who would have thought. I received the same warning light a week ago, and then it disappeared when I restarted the car. After reading your post this morning, I added almost 2 gallons of fluid to the reservoir, and it's still not capacity. This forum and the folks who post on it are invaluable.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My E-Tron Launch Edition 1 is going in for the following updates finally authorised by Audi (UK):

The following measures have been flagged as due or required for your e-tron.

57H3

Technical background

A service package has been prepared for Audi e-tron vehicles manufactured within a specific period. It is our intention to ensure the highest standard of product quality. The service campaign includes the following points:

Criterion 01 Software updates for door control electronics.

There is a delay before the doors are opened from the inside and the interior door handle sometimes has to be operated twice.

Criterion 02 Software update for parking aid.

The response of the front parking aid, e.g. near the kerb, is too sensitive.

Criterion 03 updating the universal charging cable.

The charging cable does not store the customers last setting (the charging power is reset to 50% when the vehicle is next charged)

Criterion 04 Sealing coolant expansion tank.

The purpose is to prevent the customer from topping up coolant. Adding more fluid can cause coolant to be transported to the high voltage battery.

Criterion 06 Servicing Dc charging connection.

Unwanted moisture being absorbed by the material on the DC charging cover can cause jamming.

Criterion 09 Servicing high voltage traction cable.

The high voltage harness to the electric drive motor on the rear axle may chafe against the subframe and/or power unit support.

66L1

Technical background

On Audi e-tron vehicles manufactured within a specific period, the EMC (electromagnetic compatibility) of the display units for the digital exterior mirrors may, in rare cases, sporadically be outside the permitted tolerance concerning interference signals.

Criterion 01

The display units for the digital exterior mirrors must be removed and have additional shielding fitted on the vehicles affected. The display units will then be within the permitted EMC tolerance.

66L2

Technical background

On Audi e-tron vehicles with virtual exterior mirrors, the following sporadic function impairments may occur in rare cases:
  • Unwanted fault message such as “please contact workshop”
  • Differences in brightness of the display unit ( driver and passenger side)
  • Automatic kerb function does not work correctly
  • Virtual exterior mirrors cannot be set correctly
Criterion 01

A software update of the display units for the digital exterior mirror must be carried out on the vehicles effected.

Last edited by Raj Rao; 12-12-2019 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Creating new paragraph

Quick Reply: Perhaps incoming software updates?