AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-e-tron-q8-e-tron-232/)
-   -   Petition to eliminate front plates? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-e-tron-q8-e-tron-232/petition-eliminate-front-plates-2972344/)

suprspdway 05-14-2019 10:59 AM

Petition to eliminate front plates?

Our E-trons are beautiful, and will be tainted by the addition of a front license plate mandated in NY. Lets get a petition for an EV waiver on front license plates. An argument could be made that it has a negative impact on efficiency. however, its real impact is the fact that they don't know how to mount one yet since they seemed to have overlooked that in the grill and sensor placements.

In today's world, why do we need front license plates anyway? Not all states have them. I'd be willing to pay a small fee to not have to mar this car up!

Eone 05-14-2019 11:12 AM

Funny you mention this. Here in CA I specifically instructed my dealer in writing before the car arrived at the dealer DO NOT install the front plates. I stated I would look after them myself as I did not want them to just drill 4 holes in the front bumper that there where other options. I also asked them to not unwrap the car or wash it. When I went to pick it up they had already drilled the plate holder to the bumper with 4 holes, unwrapped the car, and washed it.... I told them they now owe me a new front bumper we are in talks...

MKSurfPhoto 05-14-2019 11:20 AM

I haven’t checked any that are still wrapped as far as e-trons. However Audi has started installing front plate brackets for some models because of all the tech/sensors and they have to be ordered specifically ‘delete front plate bracket’ to bypass that. RS5 in particular arrive wrapped with the bracket installed unless that option is specifically ordered.

Eone 05-14-2019 11:33 AM

My car arrived at the dealer without the bracket installed it was in the trunk, they then screwed it on with a drill and 4 self-tapping screws

Larry David 05-14-2019 11:58 AM

In Illinois we are required to have a front plate, but someday I hope that is not the case. It simply not a priority in Springfield though, so I doubt it will ever change. I am probably being a bit naive, but seems like it should take about 30 seconds to pass the change in law and implement. Nothing is easy with government. They should really consider the fact that the DMV could charge the same price and only make half the plates. Interestingly, my Model 3 front license plate bracket is attached with double sided tape. Too bad Audi can't use double sided tape.

A4rooster 05-14-2019 12:01 PM

Ah, one of the simple things I love about PA, NO FRONT PLATE!!

02allrd 05-14-2019 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by suprspdway (Post 25316702)
In today's world, why do we need front license plates anyway? Not all states have them. I'd be willing to pay a small fee to not have to mar this car up!

Red light cameras.

tangible 05-14-2019 12:34 PM

Front plates are useful to identify your ride when you’’re waiting for an Uber/Lyft in a busy area.

Francis Y. 05-14-2019 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by 02allrd (Post 25316753)
Red light cameras.

Also many police departments prefer having both front and rear license plates mounted so that they can identify vehicles more easily.

02allrd 05-14-2019 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Eone (Post 25316708)
Funny you mention this. Here in CA I specifically instructed my dealer in writing before the car arrived at the dealer DO NOT install the front plates. I stated I would look after them myself as I did not want them to just drill 4 holes in the front bumper that there where other options. I also asked them to not unwrap the car or wash it. When I went to pick it up they had already drilled the plate holder to the bumper with 4 holes, unwrapped the car, and washed it.... I told them they now owe me a new front bumper we are in talks...

Cal Veh Code Sect. 4456(a)(8) requires dealer to affix temporary numbered plates to vehicle prior to delivery.