Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Probelm opening the driver door from inside

Old 05-17-2019, 10:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Probelm opening the driver door from inside

Couple times I had to pull the inside door handle twice to open the driver door from inside. When I pull the door hanle first time, the door opens couple of milimeters, but the lock still holds the door closed. I have to pull the door handle the second time to be able to open the door fully. I did not have any problem to open the door from the outside.

Anybody had this problem?

Thanks,
Old 05-18-2019, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try pulling the handle slightly(instead of all the way) and it will continue to (automatically) open. Apparently when you pull the handle it will start opening automatically but since you are hanging on to the door (pulling handle in all the way), the soft close mechanism gets activated, thus it closes the door again and you have to release and pull the handle a second time... Give it a try. Seemed to work. Hope this helps.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yes. I’ve had this happen a few times, I’m sure it’s a ‘bonus’ with the soft-close and as the prior response says let it go and try again works but it’s slightly distressing when it happens as you momentarily feel trapped (or I do).
Old 05-18-2019, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks, but I do not have the soft-close.

I tried to pull it gently and when I pull it slightly I hear the lock opening, but straight away the lock closes again. I can hear both opening and partly closing sound from the lock, thus I have to pull it again to have it fully opened. I think this should not happen. I do not have soft-close or exit warning system, thus the door should open at first pull.

I think I will visit the dealer to have them look at it.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts

In my BMW I have to pull the door handle twice to open it when the door is locked. It's some sort of safety measure. I wonder if you'd have the same issue if you unlock the door before opening?
Old 05-18-2019, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

The door was closed, but not locked. I just opened the car set in it and tried to open it from the inside. Sometimes I can open it with one pull, sometime with two pull. I had a Q7 (4M) before, never had to pull the handle twice in that car.

Maybe it is a software issue?

Last edited by anemeth; 05-18-2019 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is from the owner manual:

"If the vehicle is without power, the doors can be unlocked from the inside by first pulling the door handle beyond its noticeable resistance. The doors can then can be opened by pulling the handle again"

Maybe the car thinks that the door is without power? Will get the dealer to sort it out...
Old 05-19-2019, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by anemeth
Maybe the car thinks that the door is without power? Will get the dealer to sort it out...
Whatever it is if I experience it again I will also take it in to the dealer. Because I believe it’s likely software related. Mine also periodically resets the virtual cockpit to a different setting typicAlly after a charging session. But it does feel like that BMW feature that I hated in a loaner I had when my i3 was in once, except I don’t believe it is intentional and if Audi is smart they’ll be monitoring all the issues that cause these vehicles to come in for service.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by anemeth
Couple times I had to pull the inside door handle twice to open the driver door from inside. When I pull the door hanle first time, the door opens couple of milimeters, but the lock still holds the door closed. I have to pull the door handle the second time to be able to open the door fully. I did not have any problem to open the door from the outside.

Anybody had this problem?

Thanks,

Yes. I noticed yesterday that it was a consistent issue. (I just thought it was user error ) It does feel like I'm trapped even if it's just for a couple seconds.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts

I guess no one is immune to these issues. Check out the i Pace forum.