Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Range drop

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 10:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Range drop

Hi

I have a beautiful Audi E-tron for a week now.

The first 4 days the starting range, with full batteries, was 330 KM

The last 2 days it is only 286 KM.

There has been no big temperature drop, the only reason I can think of.

Does anyone know what the reason for this range drop is?

Thank you!
govi
Old 05-07-2019, 03:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Here is what I note:
When new and fully charged ( at the time of picking up the e-tron), it reads the factory programmed range ( ie 100% = 239 miles)
and over the last week I am seeing the the percent to miles ratio ( 1:2.39 ) has been gradually dropping as the car learns the driving habits/environment, to best estimate the range.

at 286 km ( 177 mi. ) my guess is you've been driving mostly highway and around 65 miles/hr ( 105 km /hr)
Old 05-07-2019, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine did exactly the same (almost identical numbers)
Old 05-07-2019, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The actual range of any BEV is a function of the size of the battery and a number of factors which include ambient temperature, the speed you are driving, heating of the cabin, condition of the road, elevation change and driving style just to name a few. It will be roughly identical for any given e-tron for any given set of conditions.

The reported range is an ESTIMATE of what the on board computer believes your range will be based on some complex algorithm which among other things includes your consumption history. This will vary from driver to driver and location to location and a bunch of other things.

Very low ambient temperature for instance, in my experience with a BMW i3, can reduce range by as much as 30%. Norwegians are not going to get the same range as Californians. After ambient temperature, air resistance is the biggest robber of range. Resistance goes up with the square of speed. Air resistance at 80mph is roughly twice what it is at 55mph.

Unless Audi forgot to put in a couple of battery cells in your car, your range will be the same as any other e-tron AND every e-tron will have a different delivered range because they will be subject to different conditions and drivers. If it is raining your range goes down because your tires have to push water out of the way. If you live at a high altitude the air will be less dense and create less drag on the car. If you mash the brakes hard enough to use the friction brakes rather than the regenerative braking your range will go down. If you consistently charge to 100% you will degrade the capacity of your battery faster than someone charging to 80%. There are literally dozens of factors which will affect range.

The thing I think we all want is to have the range estimation be as accurate as possible so we can manage the things under our control if we look like we are coming up short for a given trip.

To sum up. Don't fret about the your reported range. Worry about how accurate that estimate is.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your replies!

I drove more conservative yesterday and the range was up again.

I think you just have to get to know the EV you are driving.

I started a detailed log of my trips ( I am a data analist ) so have a better insight is a couple of months.

Thanks again!
govi