Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Rear suspension noisy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2020, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 143 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by xpla
The Sportback with 20" does not produce the booming as much as the normal eTron on 21" and 20".

For whatever reason the eTron SB is better regarding the suspension boom and the whining of the motors (SB is MUCH BETTER).
And i have to add that my A6 50TDI (C8) has also the body boom. The common factor here is the air suspension. The traditional springs may act also as a buffer for the booming. Mercedes EQC with traditional springs does not have the booming.
When I am back in the market for another eTron, I was going to test the SB to see if it booms like the SUV does. I was also going to test drive an SUV with 19" wheels to compare as well. Good to know it may not be as noticeable in the SB and would factor into my decision making process.
Old 11-03-2020, 12:42 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Now that I have listened to those representative audio samples, I definitely notice that low frequency noise. It doesn't bother me, but it's definitely there. As stated above, I wonder whether it's related to the air suspension.
Old 11-03-2020, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by e-tronDriver
Now that I have listened to those representative audio samples, I definitely notice that low frequency noise. It doesn't bother me, but it's definitely there. As stated above, I wonder whether it's related to the air suspension.
I think it's far more likely to be linked to how the rear motor is mounted to the subframe as per this article which may also explain WildBTK referred to the rear suspension.

Abstract: With battery electric vehicles (BEV), due to the absence of the combustion process, the rolling noise comes even more into play. The BEV technology also leads to different concepts of how to mount the electric engine in the car. Commonly, also applied with the Audi e-tron, the rear engine is mounted on a subframe, which again is connected to the body structure. This concept leads to a better insulation in the high frequency range, yet it bears some problems in designing the mounts for ride comfort (up to 20Hz) or body boom (up to 70Hz).

I am more convinced now than ever that all e-trons suffer from this symptom and in fact most owners do not pick up on the 'boom' or/and they simply do not find it bothersome.
Old 11-03-2020, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 535 Likes on 396 Posts

I listened to the audio recordings provided by Multiphonic using the sound system on my desktop. I could definitely hear the low frequency whine and even get a sense of the slight pressure in my ears. That sound I definitely do not hear in my 2019 Quattro 55.
Old 11-03-2020, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nic99
I think it's far more likely to be linked to how the rear motor is mounted to the subframe as per this article which may also explain WildBTK referred to the rear suspension.

Abstract: With battery electric vehicles (BEV), due to the absence of the combustion process, the rolling noise comes even more into play. The BEV technology also leads to different concepts of how to mount the electric engine in the car. Commonly, also applied with the Audi e-tron, the rear engine is mounted on a subframe, which again is connected to the body structure. This concept leads to a better insulation in the high frequency range, yet it bears some problems in designing the mounts for ride comfort (up to 20Hz) or body boom (up to 70Hz).

I am more convinced now than ever that all e-trons suffer from this symptom and in fact most owners do not pick up on the 'boom' or/and they simply do not find it bothersome.
I noted it because I did not hear the boom from the front suspension when going over bumps; only the rear suspension. And yes, it is somewhat subjective, but the boom I hear definitely is more pronounced in eTrons as opposed to other Audis I have driven (A6, A7 and Q7). I haven't driving another AWD or RWD EV, so I have no basis for comparison there.
Old 11-03-2020, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

That's interesting that your e-tron is not exhibiting the same booming sound. My e-tron is a 2020 year model with production number in the 22k+ area. The other e-tron I tested which also exhibited the exact same 'boom' symptoms was a slightly later 2020 year model.
Old 11-03-2020, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

That's interesting that your e-tron is not exhibiting the same booming sound. My e-tron is a 2020 year model with production number in the 22k+ area. The other e-tron I tested which also exhibited the exact same 'boom' symptoms was a slightly later 2020 year model.
Mine is definitely an earlier model, as I leased it in late November 2019. I have actually been trying to tie down technical changes made to all the E-tron line that Audi announced at the end of 2019. These modifications were not made available as a retrofit to my car. I am wondering if the models you tested, which experienced the persistent booming noise, are models that had the changes. While a lot of people believe the changes were applied only to the Sportback. This article says the changes found in the Sportback were in fact extended to the whole E tron line, including the SUV

Here is one article regarding the changes: https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/...i-e-tron-12382

Last edited by JNealCox; 11-03-2020 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-03-2020, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you were referring to me, my eTron definitely exhibited the booming sound. I have not driven a Sportback or a 2021 eTron (they aren't in showrooms yet). My eTron was returned to the dealership on Saturday, so I no longer have an Audi, however, I still believe in the company and product and will still be active on this forum. When the time comes, I plan to investigate both a 2021 eTron SB and SUV and see if the numbers look good to be another eTron owner.
Old 11-03-2020, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by WildBTK
If you were referring to me, my eTron definitely exhibited the booming sound. I have not driven a Sportback or a 2021 eTron (they aren't in showrooms yet). My eTron was returned to the dealership on Saturday, so I no longer have an Audi, however, I still believe in the company and product and will still be active on this forum. When the time comes, I plan to investigate both a 2021 eTron SB and SUV and see if the numbers look good to be another eTron owner.
Apologies I was referring to JNealCox's reply.

However, do you know what year and production number your car was? You can determine this from the VIN. Year would be K for 2019 and L for 2020. Last 6 numbers of the VIN refer to the production number. I'm trying to determine whether this is a more recent issue so your help is much appreciated.
Old 11-03-2020, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Apologies I was referring to JNealCox's reply.

However, do you know what year and production number your car was? You can determine this from the VIN. Year would be K for 2019 and L for 2020. Last 6 numbers of the VIN refer to the production number. I'm trying to determine whether this is a more recent issue so your help is much appreciated.
Mine is 2019 01xxxx.

Last edited by JNealCox; 11-03-2020 at 03:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear suspension noisy?