AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-e-tron-q8-e-tron-232/)
-   -   Stop-Start traffic (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-e-tron-q8-e-tron-232/stop-start-traffic-2975422/)

fideba 07-07-2019 09:27 AM

Stop-Start traffic

I've noticed that, in stop-start traffic, when the car is stopped, it automatically starts driving again when the car in front starts moving. However, when stopped for more than 10 seconds, this is disabled, and you have to accelerate or pull the lower left handle.
Any idea if this is a setting ? And if not, why is this disabled ? Would be make things easier in heavy traffic.

hrc1079 07-07-2019 09:30 AM

It's the way it's designed. As you noted, you either have to tap the accelerator or pull the CC lever forward to get it to work again. I'm guessing its Audi's way to make sure you're still paying attention with its overly cautious driver assistance systems.

fideba 07-07-2019 11:42 PM

That's what I thought... weird reasoning: hands are on the wheel, car detects that traffic is moving, but decides not to follow... My idea: it would be a lot safer to do follow the traffic flow, and not risking that the car behind you thinks you are moving...

bugout 07-08-2019 05:07 AM

It’s 3 seconds actually and it’s annoying.

Eone 07-08-2019 11:16 AM

I agree very annoying so much so I do not use it in bumper to bumper traffic, it was a feature I loved on my Tesla. Audi should remove this dangerous reset "hold" before someone gets read ended.

hrc1079 07-08-2019 03:09 PM

I'm hoping that Audi will become less restrictive as "self driving" becomes widely adopted. The A8 was supposed to be fully autonomous but they changed their mind for the US release as the federal and state governments can't agree on rules and regulations. The system on the E-tron performs better than what I had on my A4 so fingers crossed it's more just a cautious approach and via software updates it will be made less restrictive. I think the E-Tron is one of the few cars with Radar and Lidar sensors which the Lidar sensor is what everyone is banking on (apart from Tesla) for fully autonomous driving.

Fingers crossed Audi comes to the party with software updates to evolve this. I'm all for restrictive technology if it will evolve and improve over time. I'll be extremely annoyed if this is what you get and no updates come down the pipeline as it just means that Audi hasn't learnt anything from Tesla's OTA system. Also, keep in mind that the e-Tron is the first Audi to support the subscription model to add features to the MMI which leads me to believe the system will evolve over time as "Driver Assistance" is one of the things listed to unlock features.

Ed Barron 07-10-2019 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by hrc1079 (Post 25340076)
I'm hoping that Audi will become less restrictive as "self driving" becomes widely adopted. The A8 was supposed to be fully autonomous but they changed their mind for the US release as the federal and state governments can't agree on rules and regulations. The system on the E-tron performs better than what I had on my A4 so fingers crossed it's more just a cautious approach and via software updates it will be made less restrictive. I think the E-Tron is one of the few cars with Radar and Lidar sensors which the Lidar sensor is what everyone is banking on (apart from Tesla) for fully autonomous driving.

Fingers crossed Audi comes to the party with software updates to evolve this. I'm all for restrictive technology if it will evolve and improve over time. I'll be extremely annoyed if this is what you get and no updates come down the pipeline as it just means that Audi hasn't learnt anything from Tesla's OTA system. Also, keep in mind that the e-Tron is the first Audi to support the subscription model to add features to the MMI which leads me to believe the system will evolve over time as "Driver Assistance" is one of the things listed to unlock features.

I haven't seen anything anywhere that indicates that Audi is considering software updates that could include functionality. The adding value after the sale (even if minor value) seems to be Tesla unique?

hrc1079 07-10-2019 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Ed Barron (Post 25340875)
I haven't seen anything anywhere that indicates that Audi is considering software updates that could include functionality. The adding value after the sale (even if minor value) seems to be Tesla unique?

The e-Tron is the first Audi where users will be able to “subscribe” to features OTA. They specifically call out driver assistance and self parking as upcoming options. Supposed to launch mid-2019 so hopefully we see something soon.

gabibistrita 07-10-2019 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by hrc1079 (Post 25341017)
The e-Tron is the first Audi where users will be able to “subscribe” to features OTA. They specifically call out driver assistance and self parking as upcoming options. Supposed to launch mid-2019 so hopefully we see something soon.

I don't think this will work as OTA update. The way I see it, the functionalities will already be delivered from factory, you would just pay to have them enabled for your car.

hrc1079 07-11-2019 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by gabibistrita (Post 25341098)
I don't think this will work as OTA update. The way I see it, the functionalities will already be delivered from factory, you would just pay to have them enabled for your car.

This will be annoying if that’s the case as it means Audi has pre-determined the offering and won’t evolve it. The driver assistance would work extremely well with this model. All the hardware is in the car so it’s just software updates that can be enabled /enhanced upon. It’s a whole new revenue driver for Audi and if they don’t see this then they truly are stuck in the past.