Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Tesla Widens the Range Gap to Ludicrous

Old 04-24-2019, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Tesla Widens the Range Gap to Ludicrous

Tesla has dropped versions of the Model 3's permanent magnet reluctance motor into the S and X. Long range versions with 100 kWh battery now EPA rated at 370 miles for the S and 325 miles for the X.

Incredible.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

As someone who appreciates EV's in general and enjoys the technology from an engineers perspective, these constant hardware and software improvements are really impressive.

They also upped the max (S and X) charge rate to 200kw for chargers that support it, changed to adaptive suspension, updated to lower friction bearings, and improved the acceleration (0-60 in 3.7 for non-performance, long range).

The range is great, no doubt about it. When motortrend tested the vehicle at 65-70mph on I-5 in good weather, they got 400 miles total.

To bring this back to e-tron, (and this only applies to people that will use their vehicle for >200 mile trips) e-tron is rated at 204 miles. There's the obvious distance benefit but I think you need to look at the overall benefits. Three things matter for EV travel: battery size, efficiency, and charge rate. The improved efficiency means that you get more miles gained per minute of charging. I'd need to run the math but my guess is that even with the e-trons 150kw charge rate, it gains miles slower when charging. Note: peak charge rates, charge profile, and ambient temp need to be considered here. A longer single charge rate may also reduce the number of charging stops, which in turn reduces overall trip time.

When you plug in the, motortrend acheived, 238wh/mi consumption in to ABRP, the overall trip times are significantly reduced compared to e-tron.

I should mention that I'm only pointing these things out from an EV technical perspective. There are plenty of other reasons why the e-tron may be better for many people.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The "range" landscape is improving at a lightning-like pace unimagined a few years ago. Using the same old battery Tesla now offers 370 mile range. The Swiss are working on a high-density battery offering 600 miles. Wow. Hold on to your hats!
Old 04-24-2019, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not gonna lie. If my wife could stand those stupid doors, I'd buy one.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A $700 million loss in Q1 - do you really think Tesla will stay in business while producing cars built of such poor quality that Consumer Reports can't even recommend them? They have no lock on battery or motor technology. And the Germans have barely started their EV onslaught.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by loopless
A $700 million loss in Q1 - do you really think Tesla will stay in business while producing cars built of such poor quality that Consumer Reports can't even recommend them? They have no lock on battery or motor technology. And the Germans have barely started their EV onslaught.
Guess you're asking me? Yeah, I think there is, unfortunately, a decent chance all the Tesla's on the road right now end up like Deloreans. Except a Delorean doesn't have a giant connected screen, or a proprietary charging network. And God help you if you want to repair a falcon-wing door without replacement parts. Audi decided on two induction motors with aluminum rotors, and what must be the least efficient inverters you can buy, but darn it; at least I know they're here to stay.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts

As someone who is trying to decide between Audi and Tesla EVs, it gets harder the more I think about it.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by DMcDnald
As someone who is trying to decide between Audi and Tesla EVs, it gets harder the more I think about it.
Ex-Tesla owner here: nope, not hard at all.

Yes, Tesla may have some powertrain technology advantage at the moment, but EVERYTHING else about the company is absolutely atrocious. If you value your time and sanity you will stay away from Tesla for as least as long as Musk remains in charge of everything over there.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Tronification
Ex-Tesla owner here: nope, not hard at all.

Yes, Tesla may have some powertrain technology advantage at the moment, but EVERYTHING else about the company is absolutely atrocious. If you value your time and sanity you will stay away from Tesla for as least as long as Musk remains in charge of everything over there.
Current Tesla owner. I agree 100%.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts

These comments are very helpful. So many of the Youtube Tesla reviews are sunshine and roses.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tesla Widens the Range Gap to Ludicrous