Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

TeslaBjorn Scores E-Tron 9/10 I-Pace 7/10

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default TeslaBjorn Scores E-Tron 9/10 I-Pace 7/10

It sounds like Bjorn likes the E-Tron, too bad he is under embargo and cannot say much more than that for now.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-ETRON
It sounds like Bjorn likes the E-Tron, too bad he is under embargo and cannot say much more than that for now.
Where did you see this?
Old 01-25-2019, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by perlfather
Where did you see this?
It is on the teslabjorn facebook page
Old 01-26-2019, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

It's also worth noting that in the same facebook post he gives the Model X 10/10. It will be interesting to see his video that tests these 3 cars simultaneously. I'm happy with the e-trons 9/10 from bjorn, though.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by alexlear
It's also worth noting that in the same facebook post he gives the Model X 10/10. It will be interesting to see his video that tests these 3 cars simultaneously. I'm happy with the e-trons 9/10 from bjorn, though.
There is no surprise on Bjorn rating the Model X higher. For Bjorn, the Supercharger network is a huge advantage, and also I am guessing the Tesla offers more range. For me, the E-Tron charging rate, and the Electrify America network nullify that advantage, but I am not a person who plans to take too many road trips. Also as impartial as Bjorn tries to be, he is in essence a compensated spokesman for Tesla, getting not only his Model X for free, but also a couple model S's, two roadsters, and a vast array of other referral prizes, this is over $1M worth of prizes, so while I trust that he does not bias his testing too much to benefit Tesla, the way he weights different strengths and weaknesses of the cars he tests is certainly biased to benefit Tesla and his own lifestyle.

For me, the first problem with the Model X is price. Looking at the current price incl A/P it is $110,500 plus sales tax of $11,050 minus 3750 tax credit is $117,800 and Model X is more expensive to license since annual license fees are based on value of the vehicle. This X example does not include trailer package

The loaded E-Tron costs $ 84,600 plus sales tax $8460 minus tax credit of $7500 = $85,560, so the difference is $32240 net. WOW, that is nearly 40% more expensive than the E-Tron.

Advantages for Tesla; 7 seats, higher towing (only with standard wheels) FWD, better A/P, higher range, and access to the supercharger network

Advantages for E-Tron; 40% less expensive in capital expense(USA), faster charging rate on EA network, higher build quality, more reliable (assumed), no FWD, higher tow rating (with upgraded wheels), more features (HUD, Vented, and massage seats, 360 camera, etc...) More reasonable pricing on paint colors and upgraded wheels, better service network, and off the shelf parts availability, open to all body shops for repair.

I am also looking forward to seeing Bjorn's videos as he is funny, but watching his other videos he has dropped plenty of hints that he likes the E-Tron much more than he liked I-Pace. However E-Tron has a couple things that really bother him... so much suspense.

Old 01-27-2019, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

Agreed. Bjørn's latest video details his four month wait for a service appointment, followed by one month without his Model X (hopefully only a month, since he has yet to get it back after a 12/27 drop-off). He states in the video that if they fix 60-70% of the issues "that would be great". Five months total! This is a totally different world than the one I live in. I would be apoplectic if treated this way by Audi or my dealer.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by LavaGrau_A3
Agreed. Bjørn's latest video details his four month wait for a service appointment, followed by one month without his Model X (hopefully only a month, since he has yet to get it back after a 12/27 drop-off). He states in the video that if they fix 60-70% of the issues "that would be great". Five months total! This is a totally different world than the one I live in. I would be apoplectic if treated this way by Audi or my dealer.
Wow, I just took a looked at that video, some of those items he was complaining about right after he got the Model X, I have seen other videos where he has noisy half shafts, and complains about the front seat. Tesla service is really terrible. His Model x has had dozens of mechanical and build quality problems in the last 2 years, and had to have the battery pack replaced after stranding him along the road 3 times last year.

Last edited by Tom-ETRON; 01-27-2019 at 05:02 PM. Reason: mis spelled word
Old 01-28-2019, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Good news, bad news...

From Bjorn's latest video, we will see most of his content posted tomorrow!

However, Audi has given him a new embargo that limits him from posting any performance or comparison videos until March 11. (6 weeks, really Audi, come on!)

Based on this I can only assume that Audi is very concerned with how it compares to Tesla and Jaguar, based on performance and efficiency.

Last edited by alexlear; 01-28-2019 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Added video link
Old 01-28-2019, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by alexlear
Good news, bad news...

From Bjorn's latest video, we will see most of his content posted tomorrow!

However, Audi has given him a new embargo that limits him from posting any performance or comparison videos until March 11. (6 weeks, really Audi, come on!)

Based on this I can only assume that Audi is very concerned with how it compares to Tesla and Jaguar, based on performance and efficiency.

https://youtu.be/Q5UEFdLMEmE
Awesome, looking forward to the videos... I do not think Audi is concerned with the performance, as most large luxury SUV buyers could care less about 0-60, and mpge... I-Pace is a great example of this, selling all they can build, and had to ramp production higher than expected, even though it is very thirsty, and has some software bugginess.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

I'm relieved that Bjørn gives it a 9/10 score. That means the efficiency, charge speed, and banana box capacity are at least acceptable. You might be able to sleep comfortably in the trunk as well.

Quick Reply: TeslaBjorn Scores E-Tron 9/10 I-Pace 7/10