Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Test Driven

Old 05-06-2019, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Test Driven

Context: We live in Cincinnati. We drive weekly to Columbus (200 mi round trip). We have had nearly three-dozen Audi's since 1977 (our first a 1978 Audi 5000). We have been to the Audi factory (in Ingolstadt six times and taken the Audi Driving School in Seefeld, Austria four times.) We currently have a 2018 S4 and 2019 Q8. We had two of the bays in our three-car garage wired with Level-2 Charging units (240 volt/40amp 10Kw "JuiceBox" brand units.) We're ready to be electrified. We had looked at the e-trons when early models were on display (but not to be driven) earlier this year. We had just purchased the Q8 and decided to wait and see.

We took an e-tron out for a drive this weekend. The dealership has two of the yellow-brake-caliper'ed first edition models (but they were not available to test drive, but they were unsold as of Saturday.) We took off in the e-tron and noticed many similarities to the Q8: both are very quiet, the e-tron virtually silent other than a slight and "cool" electric motor whine. I did not, initially just floor the thing, but what struck me immediately was the sense that the thing had, almost literally, "relentless" power. Once I reached the Interstate ramp leading to I-275 around the Cincinnati metro area, I did from a stop floor the vehicle and it went into to what I guess I would call "super-boost" mode which was a rush that felt like an S6. Huge rush of power, no drama, no issues, just pushed back into the seat until the next thing (if it had been possible) would be for the seat to be ripped out of the floor from the accelerative forces. I stopped pressing and looked down -- to an indicated 97 MPH. Whew! Now, I say to myself, this felt perhaps even more like the RS5 I had taken out earlier this year: woooooosh!

OK, so I'm now just a few miles into this drive and I notice such things as the regenerative (reverse battery drain) effect. Rush forward and lose 5-miles of battery life but gain one back when "coasting" -- more when braking.

I reset the ADS to INDIVIDUAL, and I set power to "balanced" and the suspension to "dynamic" and the steering to "comfort," just to see what would happen. The e-tron (like my 2003 allroad) lowered its air suspension and I made a "run" (ok, maybe not a "run" per se, more like a canter) through some very twisty roads (this model had 20" wheel/tires.)

The whole thing was everything I had hoped it would be, maybe more. I did miss a head's up display, but I know one can be had on a Prestige trim model.

I had been informed that the anticipated 248-mile range had come in at 204 miles -- so it wasn't a surprise (or shock) to see the miles to empty (so to speak) drop to below 150. Then we switched drivers and my wife drove. She liked the nimbleness improvement over her Q8 with it's 22" wheels and tires and liked the total and complete lack of "lag" of any kind. She wondered, why not make one of these (and the Q8) in a plug-in hybrid model and recognize that a 204-mile range is, despite Aud's protestations, simply not able to cut it for our weekly 200-mile round trip to Columbus. An $85,000+ "commuter" car, she quipped. Not acceptable range, not acceptable charging time, not adequate enough charging locations and no one is going to want to stop and wait 25+ minutes to get the range to 160-miles.

So, a "lovely" damn near awesome experience that, in the above context, would not get us to part with 50% of the MSRP (which wouldn't even be possible anyhow.)

I made the Audi of America argument that "only 2% of trips exceed 50-miles," but, frankly those are marketing words, despite their verisimilitude.

The dealer rep (ours for years) said, "just wait, there's a plug-in hybrid Q8 coming -- that's the one to get" (in OUR context.)

"Zero 'turbo' lag, double the mileage of the regular Q8, you may not even miss an SQ8 once the plug-in e-trons get here."

Food for thought (in OUR context, perhaps not YOURS.)
Old 05-06-2019, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for your thoughts and I really like your perspective. Also, my hats off to you for being such a brand loyal owner!!

I've noticed a couple other recent test drive comments that mirror yours. What you're experiencing and commenting on with respect to the power and quietness is just plain EV drivetrain. The effortless power is likely the feeling of instant torque and it's available in almost all EV's. Even the slightly slower ones still have amazing torque at in-town speeds.

Thanks again for your impressions.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yesterday afternoon I test drove a Prestige e-tron. It was a great disappointment at the beginning and at the end of the process. In between, it was delightful. The e-tron is wonderful.

I am 6 feet, two inches tall and mimic the build of a “sturdy” football player. Comfort has always been my primary goal when leasing transportation. It also has been the most difficult to accomplish.

Yesterday, even with the driver’s seat pushed as far to the rear as it would go, I had difficulty getting into the e-tron. Getting out was difficult, too.

It has been my experience that driver’s comfort often “takes a backseat” to the comfort of the passengers actually occupying that rear position. Advertising associated with a previous extended length BMW 7-series made it a point to boast of the extra legroom afforded the backseat passengers, while those of us riding up-front received no benefit from the stretch.

The current Lexus RX Series lists 3 inches more legroom for front seat passengers in its standard-length vehicle than in the extended-length version. In the latter, roominess in front is sacrificed to assist Lexus squeeze in a third row.

This is even the case in the largest SUVs on the road today. There is significantly more legroom for second row passengers than for those riding up-front.

My size and the size of the e-tron SUV are in conflict. And, sadly the Audi is winning, at least for now.

Old 05-07-2019, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 6-5', but skinny and will test-drive my order on Friday, will report back. I tried in a pre-production and it seemed fine.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi have put about 100 miles on the E1 I ordered. I am 6'4" and found a very comfortable seating position. I will be coming out of a Macan GTS with tighter quarters....and the ingress/egress of the etron is good.

I have enjoyed the miles so far. I am just a little anxious about the range. Given the wait, my SA and GSM are giving me a little time to sort out my concerns.

My wife has a Q8 prestige and the E1 is just not there with the Q8 for cabin comfort.

Still assessing, but my finger is heavy on the trigger.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 125 Likes on 80 Posts

Yes, I find that size/fit finding surprising too.

I'm 6'-5" and fairly lean and have a Tundra full cab truck and the Etron Prestige seemed to fit me just fine. The default seat setting was too low and close to bed but once I adjusted it, it felt really nice and roomy in front.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by grssypond
Hi have put about 100 miles on the E1 I ordered. I am 6'4" and found a very comfortable seating position. I will be coming out of a Macan GTS with tighter quarters....and the ingress/egress of the etron is good.

I have enjoyed the miles so far. I am just a little anxious about the range. Given the wait, my SA and GSM are giving me a little time to sort out my concerns.

My wife has a Q8 prestige and the E1 is just not there with the Q8 for cabin comfort.

Still assessing, but my finger is heavy on the trigger.
GrssyPond - I was surprised to see you have had your E1 for a week but your dealer is allowing you to still "assess" it? How long will the dealer allow you to take and drive your car before he says you must pay for it? Thanks.

Last edited by COe-Tron; 05-08-2019 at 09:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dupsatou (03-14-2020)
Old 05-08-2019, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati

Food for thought (in OUR context, perhaps not YOURS.)
Very interesting writeup. yet another example of how one car does not fit all applications/uses. If your round trip would be 160 miles this might be a great car for you.
Small car, plug-in hybrids with tiny ranges (~20 miles) will make sense in densely populated Europe (driving into cities) where ICE will probably be forbidden soon. Not sure I see the point of a plug-in hybrid SUV in the US, however, I am sure the hybrid Cayenne is selling well. A lot of extra complexity for not much benefit. Soon virtually all cars will be electric and your weekend antiques will be ICE powered.

Last edited by perlfather; 05-08-2019 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

When the range under all circumstances gets to 300 miles and/or the charging stations are plentiful (which I think will come) and the charging times are less than 10 minutes, EVs will be everywhere. The value, or benefit, so says my dealer who has a plug-in hybrid himself is the ability to use the EV to compensate for the lack of instant torque even in an RS5 due to that fraction of a second it takes for the tubo to spool (although it seems a twin-charger could take care of that).

The US, and I can only speak about a mid-western city with a 1.5+M SMSA, has, for now, cheap gas, and a moderately rapidly building EV charging network. Other areas on the planet are, perhaps, more advanced. But, sitting in Cincinnati we have Indianapolis, Louisville, Columbus and some other slightly smaller cities all requiring a round-trip capability of over 250 miles on a single charge. Or, we need charging locations that are closer together than one every 70 miles (speaking of the super-chargers). In our case, if we kept the Q8 and added an e-tron, the e-tron would start every morning off with a 204 mile charge since we have the charger in our garage already. From time to time an unannounced trip to Lexington or Dayton or Mansfield is necessary. Were I in the Q8, not a second thought; had I the EV, well, I would wonder about the logistics.

These "issues" will be overcome in a few (very few, hopefully) years. Meantime, the 204 miles per charge is/was a disappointment. The dealer told me TODAY that the PE-Hybrid A4, A6, and A7 are "on a relatively fast" boat to the US -- perhaps even late 2019. As a "bridge" technology, this makes sense, improves fuel economy, lowers emissions and, assuming the combination of gas and electric is "done right" will actually yield higher performing vehicles. A "decent" example is the Volvo S60 T8 -- although I would think Audi could do it better -- if what someone wanted was a sedan (which, as a current 2018 S4 driver, I would want.) The A5 SB (like) EV (e-tron, 100%) is presumably coming yet this year and it should be a bit lighter meaning, one can assume, a greater range per charge.

I thought the e-tron was, in virtually every way, an almost compelling product. As my rep and I discussed: "This is the WORST it will ever be -- and this is pretty damn good!"

The reps -- remembering our geography -- were, pretty much, bummed by the EPA 204 mile range announcement, but they are, they hasten to add, representing a fantastic vehicle if used as a "commuter" car.

Those of us who live in flyover country are often road warriors, the e-tron is, today, simply not suited for that kind of use (in our circumstances, your situation may be altogether different -- indeed, there's a good chance it is.)

Last edited by markcincinnati; 05-08-2019 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Mark - Excellent evaluation of my thoughts. My dealer advised me yesterday, in light of the 4 months more wait time being quoted, one might just as well wait a bit longer and reserve the Q8 Plug-In which is also on the fast track. It's a Range Anxiety Killer estimated to be just under 600 miles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Test Driven