Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Thoughts after one week of ownership

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts after one week of ownership

Well, after reserving 9/15/18, locking at 12/30/18, in production 4/13/19, leaving factory 4/15/19, en route 4/18/19, U.S. arrival 5/30/19, I took delivery on 5/31/19. My credit card was also refunded the $1000 deposit that day.

At the dealership, we were hesitant about the color, which was not as "gold" or "champagne" toned as I had hoped for. It is rather a flatter cream, sand, or clay colored beige. Up close in the sun the paint looks pearlescent, but it does not really appear metallic. After a lot of discussion with the wife we decided to purchase as we didn't really like any of the other colors significantly more. I think the color will grow on us.

I've now driven the car for a week and here are my impressions. The interior of the car is very nice, nicer than the impressions I had from sitting in a car show demo and during our short test drive. Quality of the leather is fairly good, very close to our outgoing X5 with upgraded interior. Dash is covered in fairly nice leather except for a middle piece which is inexplicably harder plastic. Same plastic covers top part of the doors and that is not nearly as nice as our X5 was. Lots of storage although the glove box door is so large I don't know how it could be opened without hitting your lap. Touchscreens are responsive and haptic feedback is nice but the screens collect fingerprints unsurprisingly. The menus can be confusing and many options are grayed out and inaccessible when the car is moving, "for safety". Beltline is a bit high, but I suppose that's the trend for many cars nowadays. It makes resting your arm on the sill a bit uncomfortable. Also, I discovered the rear windows do not lower all the way. There is a lip at the door sill, several inches high, that you need to step over as someone else has pointed out. It makes getting out a bit awkward, especially in the rear, where the slope of the doorline necessitates lowering your head if you're even average height. The rear door opens more widely than my X5 and that is a welcome discovery. One thing about the door I dislike is its apparent weight, especially when first opening. It feels very heavy and seems like its about to swing back on you. I have not had this problem with any other car I've owned.

Driving the car feels very similar to an ICE. I prefer the dynamic setting as the throttle feels too stiff in auto mode and especially in eco. I wish there were 3 levels of braking regeneration as at the higher level it still does not slow the car down enough. Acceleration is good, especially from stop, but not neck-snappingly swift. Very little body roll or squat and dive as overall the suspension feels satisfyingly firm. Steering is okay, sometimes a bit vague, at other times the lane correction system is annoyingly strong. I thought my 750's lane correction was annoying but this is definitely up there or worse. I am getting about 2.3-2.6 mi/kWh depending on the amount of freeway driving vs. city, and I drive with the AC blasting, outside temperature 70-80 deg, relatively flat terrain, and on 21" turbine wheels. No problems charging with a JuiceBox 40, but the holster has to be pushed in more firmly than you would imagine, until it "clicks".

So far we've already had a couple of errors show up such as "parking brake malfunction" but they seem to be transient and disappear. We'll see if they keep popping up like some people have experienced.

Last edited by Francis Y.; 06-06-2019 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts

Your e-tron looks great. Keep us updated on your impressions as the days go by.

I'd be interested to hear from other owners who have had their e-trons for a while whether or not they'd get the e-tron again, if they had the choice.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife likes hers a lot. Daily commuter, 52mi each way. E-tron shows 32mi used....so very happy with that so far.
Only quirk she has this far was a very loud driver side wiper. I tried it, and it was fine. Not sure what was going on with that. Will see how it goes, as only had it for 1 week.