Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Today's WSJ Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Driver1.8
Tesla has a vast network of DC fast chargers, and produces cars that can literally go 300 miles on a charge.
Audi promised a car that could go 300 miles when they introduced the e-Tron, and what did we get?
*shrugs* The network will be a non issue within about 2 years. Tesla is vastly underbuilding them according to their plans and you have a LOT of other companies building out the non-Tesla network.

Regarding range, I guess, but I dunno, I don't really care? If was concerned about efficiency and range I wouldn't be buying an EV at all. I'd buy a Prius, which I would never own.

I hope you enjoy your Robotaxi in 2020.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 125 Likes on 80 Posts

and produces cars that can literally go 300 miles on a charge.
Word of advice from a 10 year EV owner...

I hope you don't plan to depend on this. There are no EV's that I know of that can deliver this in all circumstances. For that matter even ICE cars will struggle at times. I drove a Nissan rogue here in midwest into a stiff wind and got a 176 mile range. I can't even imagine what that situation would do to a Tesla or a Etron.

If you want to take the risk that is one thing, but don't repeat this to your daughter and certainly be careful before taking your family on a road trip counting on this. It would take very little to find your self 50 miles from the nearest charger and 30 miles on your range indicator. Not a good situation.

Be realistic on what the technology is capable off. Tesla is a great company but personally I think they cut too many corners to try and boost the range in a misleading way IMHO. Personally I have a lot more confidence in the Audi engineer 204, than the Tesla 300. EV technology is not there yet and won't be for quite some time.

Last edited by theo1000; 05-31-2019 at 06:58 AM.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, I designed a BEV for my Senior Design Project in the 90s. I'm not a noob to the technology. You are absolutely correct. My Model 3 rated at 310 miles is easily capable of cruising 260 miles at 75 mph between charges, but I certainly wouldn't expect to reach 310 miles except only under very limited and controlled circumstances. I doubt I would ever attempt it. That's the nature of range ratings for all EVs to date. The Model 3 has never came close to leaving me stranded, and so far I'm at 19k miles in 10 months. Superchargers are so plentiful a person would have to be a complete idiot to run out of charge anywhere but the most remote and rural parts of the country. And obviously a BEV is a bad choice to go somewhere like that without adequate planning in advance.

As to Audi's technical edge, let's not get carried away. Have you ever owned an Audi with an FSI engine? They knew damn well that the intake valves would be fouled to **** by 50k miles or earlier, but they didn't give it a thought beyond pushing those engines out the factory door. RS4 engines have to be cleaned every oil change. Ridiculous! And I don't suppose it's necessary to go into dieselgate, which is the impetus for the EA build-out. Time and mileage on examples in customer hands will be the judge of the e-Tron's attributes both positive and negative.

As to self driving promises, yes I agree that Tesla and Elon are making promises they will never keep. Autopilot is hot garbage, and Full Self Driving is a pipe dream. I wasn't fool enough to buy either of those options.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Tesla has a vast network of DC fast chargers, and produces cars that can literally go 300 miles on a charge.
Audi promised a car that could go 300 miles when they introduced the e-Tron, and what did we get?
Audi promised?
Old 05-31-2019, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
Audi promised?
"It is claimed to be capable of eeking out more than 500 kilometres (311 miles) from a single charge."

Link

They came up a little short of that claim.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Dude, I designed a BEV for my Senior Design Project in the 90s. I'm not a noob to the technology. You are absolutely correct. My Model 3 rated at 310 miles is easily capable of cruising 260 miles at 75 mph between charges, but I certainly wouldn't expect to reach 310 miles except only under very limited and controlled circumstances. I doubt I would ever attempt it. That's the nature of range ratings for all EVs to date. The Model 3 has never came close to leaving me stranded, and so far I'm at 19k miles in 10 months. Superchargers are so plentiful a person would have to be a complete idiot to run out of charge anywhere but the most remote and rural parts of the country. And obviously a BEV is a bad choice to go somewhere like that without adequate planning in advance.

As to Audi's technical edge, let's not get carried away. Have you ever owned an Audi with an FSI engine? They knew damn well that the intake valves would be fouled to **** by 50k miles or earlier, but they didn't give it a thought beyond pushing those engines out the factory door. RS4 engines have to be cleaned every oil change. Ridiculous! And I don't suppose it's necessary to go into dieselgate, which is the impetus for the EA build-out. Time and mileage on examples in customer hands will be the judge of the e-Tron's attributes both positive and negative.

As to self driving promises, yes I agree that Tesla and Elon are making promises they will never keep. Autopilot is hot garbage, and Full Self Driving is a pipe dream. I wasn't fool enough to buy either of those options.
Superchargers are plentiful is a very, very regional statement to make.

RS4 engines most certainly do not need to be cleaned every oil change. Just like it doesn't on a V8 R8, or an RS5. At some point should it be done to maintain overall performance and efficiency? Yes. I can list lots of others cars this is true for too.

2 TFSI engines in my stable to date, both went well over 140k. No carbon cleaning yet. One car was mid 300s at the wheels for 95% of it's life, on pump gas, the other is still with me, original in every way, 158k and counting, still netting low 30's mpg at 75 mph road trips.

Last edited by SCarGuy; 05-31-2019 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

"It is claimed to be capable of eeking out more than 500 kilometres (311 miles) from a single charge."

Link

They came up a little short of that claim.
That's your idea of a promise? A printed "claim" from a magazine ?

it also says it may have 3 motors...does an etron?

If battery was used to 100% capacity, what would range be?

Bottom line....these are not promises. This is marketing
Old 05-31-2019, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

That's your idea of a promise? A printed "claim" from a magazine ?

it also says it may have 3 motors...does an etron?

If battery was used to 100% capacity, what would range be?

Bottom line....these are not promises. This is marketing
When they announced the car, Audi said it would be capable of 500km of range. It didn't come close to that target when finally introduced. People like to claim that every announcement from Tesla or Elon is a "promise". I'm simply applying the same logic/criteria to Audi.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

When they announced the car, Audi said it would be capable of 500km of range. It didn't come close to that target when finally introduced. People like to claim that every announcement from Tesla or Elon is a "promise". I'm simply applying the same logic/criteria to Audi.
show me the claim from Audi? Then show me the promise from Audi.

A claim, and a promise, are 2 vastly different things fwiw
Old 05-31-2019, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

show me the claim from Audi? Then show me the promise from Audi.

A claim, and a promise, are 2 vastly different things fwiw
Your circular reasoning and inability to get the point are outstanding. Best I've seen today, but the day is still young. You could read the linked article too, I suppose, if it's not too much trouble.

Also, just because you're ignoring the contaminated intake valves in your FSI engines doesn't mean it's not happening.

Quick Reply: Today's WSJ Review