Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Unhappy but is it with my e tron or Electrify America ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 05:22 PM
SWFla-eTron

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Unhappy but is it with my e tron or Electrify America ???

Been happily charging at home overnight about every 3 days. Tried to top off at my local EA station on a very hot day (95F) and found that DC rate was very slow often at <25kW. Thinking that the slow rate was due to the hot conditions, I tried again this evening with equally dismal results with charging rates jumping from the initial 143 kW down to 30 kW and often settling at sedate DC rate in 40s or 60s although momentary rates in low 100s were observed. ‘Kinda thunk’ it’s the e tron as the App usually displays the statement, “Charging not possible” that I have ignored and home-charged the car without a hitch. I’ll make an appointment with the dealer to see about a fix. BTW, connecting to EA was very straight forward but was accompanied by a delay before charging actually started. Disconnecting required another slight delay before the connector was released.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

What was your charge level? It can only fast charge up to ~80% after that it will slow like you are seeing. You can't top off at faster rates.
The following users liked this post:
e-tronDriver (07-12-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

You should never see < 25kW on a 150-350 kW charger. Charging to 100% should still be in the 50 kW region. The "charging not possible" warning shows in the app if I'm not plugged in or plugged in but my JuiceBox waiting for time of day window.

Did you try multiple chargers at the EA facility?

I have read of chargers at certain installations limiting current during hot temperatures. PlugShare app has comments to that effect on several charge facilities, but none on EA installations (so far).
Old 07-04-2019, 01:41 PM
SWFla-eTron

Used the same EA unit but different connectors. I’ll try another EA unit at this installation. I did text EA customer service about the matter and included the unit ID. They replied that there were no reports of problems on its end.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by oh0150
Been happily charging at home overnight about every 3 days. Tried to top off at my local EA station on a very hot day (95F) and found that DC rate was very slow often at <25kW. Thinking that the slow rate was due to the hot conditions, I tried again this evening with equally dismal results with charging rates jumping from the initial 143 kW down to 30 kW and often settling at sedate DC rate in 40s or 60s although momentary rates in low 100s were observed. ‘Kinda thunk’ it’s the e tron as the App usually displays the statement, “Charging not possible” that I have ignored and home-charged the car without a hitch. I’ll make an appointment with the dealer to see about a fix. BTW, connecting to EA was very straight forward but was accompanied by a delay before charging actually started. Disconnecting required another slight delay before the connector was released.

Do you have photos/video of the charging screen, my EA experience has been quite the opposite (although I have had a bit of trouble starting the chargers) , very very high charge rates, exceeding 150 kW at times, and I do have photos. ​​​​​​​

Old 07-06-2019, 07:14 PM
SWFla-eTron

No pics but next time I’ll take them. Need to run down battery a bit first before I give another try at L3 charging.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:54 PM
SWFla-eTron

Visited the local EA site on a cooler day — recall on my other visits it failed to deliver 140-150 Kw charge often dropping to 20 4o 30 Kw. On this visit, I used the “up to 350 Kw” unit that worked flawlessly and disconnected wth only a flight delay. It delivered consistently in the 140s without a taper to my set 80% limit.. My dealer suspects the daily temp in the 90F+ on my 2 previous visits was the reason for the low Kw delivery. He wants to meet me there on our next super hot day to see if the problem reoccurs so e can take the matter up with Audi.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

Glad nothing wrong with your car. Like I said, some comments on PlugShare indicate that hot days can cause lower charge performance at certain locations. The Level 3 charge performance of the e-tron is exceptional.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by oh0150
Visited the local EA site on a cooler day — recall on my other visits it failed to deliver 140-150 Kw charge often dropping to 20 4o 30 Kw. On this visit, I used the “up to 350 Kw” unit that worked flawlessly and disconnected wth only a flight delay. It delivered consistently in the 140s without a taper to my set 80% limit.. My dealer suspects the daily temp in the 90F+ on my 2 previous visits was the reason for the low Kw delivery. He wants to meet me there on our next super hot day to see if the problem reoccurs so e can take the matter up with Audi.

I cannot see how 85 or 95 degree ambient could make that much difference, I charged a loaner on an 85 degree day at 150 kW and the cooling fan was only running slowly. After thinking more about this if the battery is too hot to charge at a higher rate, you would also lose regen braking, as the regen rate and max DC charge rate are almost exactly the same for a specific SOC on E-Tron. 30-40 kW of regen is mild, it's when you get 50-100 kW that it leans you forward in the seat. It is possible the DC chargers were limited as I read some EA chargers have their limits turned down because of overheating?
Old 07-11-2019, 08:37 PM
SWFla-eTron

Thank you for your input, Tom, your points are well taken. As this is my first EV, and in fact my first Audi, I’m really a green horn And uniformed about these matters. Consider me among the many unwashed laity out there. The e tron is starting to grow on me as it is very pleasing to drive locally in its super silent way.

Quick Reply: Unhappy but is it with my e tron or Electrify America ???