Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Using the included Charger

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 125 Likes on 80 Posts

Not an expert but depending on the engineering at lower loads the EVSE may revert to a single pole and so need a neutral. In any case it is always good practice to land the neutral for a 14-50. If one of the hots has an issue there are 2 paths to ground and not just one.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Barron
When I bought the car I installed a Juice Box 40, which I've used for the last week or so since I got it. I just yesterday tried the included charger for the first time, and I've found everywhere I plug it in leads to the top three lights lighting up red as pictured below.

I called Audi and they said that the charger requires and extra ground wire on the 14-50R NEMA plug. But to be frank, at the office and the supermarket, other cars can plugin (Teslas, Prius, etc).

Did Audi really give us a charger that is incompatible with most infrastructure? Is mine just broken? (Audi Dealer didnt have a compatible 240v plug to test, but they had a service bulletin where people were complaining about the problem)

No issues at 110V, but of course, thats not the issue.

Thanks,
-Ed.

I was just flipping through the pages of the German e-tron manual, where I found a paragraph in the "Audi e-tron compact charging system" section, which describes how to deactivate the ground conductor monitor. Once deactivated, the Audi supplied EVSE will function on non-grounded infrastructure. Those instructions were completely omitted from the US manual. I am tempted to post the original German, as well as translated instructions here. But before I do that, I'm wondering if it would be safe to deactivate the ground conductor monitor on US infrastructure. Maybe some of our EE forum members can chime in? There must be a reason for why those instructions are not included in the US manual.

Last edited by MileHigh e-tron; 02-22-2020 at 11:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Afz (07-05-2020)
Old 03-14-2020, 02:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you please post link to German e-tron manual?

I have another concern - will I be able to charge my e-tron in Europe from AC source at home (not at public chargers which are usually using DC).

Anyone knows will Audi e-tron compact charging system supplied with the vehicle work at European type outlet 240V (one hot wire, one neutral and one ground).

Thanks!
Old 03-15-2020, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Suren Harutyunyan
Can you please post link to German e-tron manual?

I have another concern - will I be able to charge my e-tron in Europe from AC source at home (not at public chargers which are usually using DC).

Anyone knows will Audi e-tron compact charging system supplied with the vehicle work at European type outlet 240V (one hot wire, one neutral and one ground).

Thanks!
I got access to the German manual through the German e-tron forum at https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/audi-e-tron-b1055.html. I remember there were some concerns raised about copyright after the manual was posted online, so the related link(s)/thread(s) might have been deleted.

There are also several threads in that forum about using the Audi charger on European outlets.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:28 PM
Afz
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by MileHigh e-tron
I got access to the German manual through the German e-tron forum at https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/audi-e-tron-b1055.html. I remember there were some concerns raised about copyright after the manual was posted online, so the related link(s)/thread(s) might have been deleted.

There are also several threads in that forum about using the Audi charger on European outlets.
Can you share how one can deactivate ground conductor monitor functionality?
Old 07-05-2020, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh e-tron

Having only taken a year of german in high school .. a very long time ago .. Think you could provide a more direct link (and we'll try google translate) or translate for us?
The following users liked this post:
Afz (07-05-2020)
Old 07-23-2020, 08:44 AM
Afz
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had the exact same problem and it was fixed with the very recent Audi recall software update of the EVSE unit. Apparently the problem was related to 208v line compatibility, which they managed to fix with a software update. Get your EVSEs update people!
Old 12-08-2021, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Afz
I had the exact same problem and it was fixed with the very recent Audi recall software update of the EVSE unit. Apparently the problem was related to 208v line compatibility, which they managed to fix with a software update. Get your EVSEs update people!
Do you mean that they can update the charger itself? I have the exact same issue (Europe).
Old 12-08-2021, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 183 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by klipschklipsch
Do you mean that they can update the charger itself? I have the exact same issue (Europe).
Yes, they can update the charger. Here on the US, that fixed the 208V issue and it now remembers whether it is set to 50% or 100%. I am not sure if the addressed a similar 208V issue since that is a non-standard voltage level. Bit it never hurts to ask Audi about it.
Old 12-08-2021, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ThomasW
Yes, they can update the charger. Here on the US, that fixed the 208V issue and it now remembers whether it is set to 50% or 100%. I am not sure if the addressed a similar 208V issue since that is a non-standard voltage level. Bit it never hurts to ask Audi about it.
Thanks! Here in Belgium, I have 230v. I will ask them.

Quick Reply: Using the included Charger