Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Voluntary recall on 2019 e-tron's

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 11:14 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Marty110
Good story on the recall can be found here: https://www.slashgear.com/audi-e-tro...know-10579870/
Based on the description of the issue in this article, the possible leak would be coolant leaking from the battery cooling system, not water leaking in from the charging port as has been described elsewhere in this thread. So if the article is accurate, charging outside or driving in the rain would not increase the risk of a fault code or fire. Seems like some dealers may be confused about the source of the issue.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by e-tronDriver
Based on the description of the issue in this article, the possible leak would be coolant leaking from the battery cooling system, not water leaking in from the charging port as has been described elsewhere in this thread. So if the article is accurate, charging outside or driving in the rain would not increase the risk of a fault code or fire. Seems like some dealers may be confused about the source of the issue.
This is honestly scarier
Old 06-12-2019, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

'A potentially faulty seal may allow moisture to enter the high-voltage (HV) battery through
the wiring between the HV battery charging socket and the high-voltage electronics. If
this happens, the instrument cluster will display the message “Electrical system: fault.”
and a warning will appear in the instrument panel. If moisture enters the high-voltage
battery, there is a risk of a short circuit leading to a fire in the high-voltage system.

Dealer Actions –
Stop-Sale Required

Check your daily campaign open inventory report or OMD for affected vehicles in
inventory affected by this recall and stop-sale. Keep ALL affected vehicles in a secure
area where they cannot be made available for sale, lease, trade or demo use until the
recall repair has been performed."
Old 06-12-2019, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by southparker
I got a call from Audi support this afternoon and they have already been in contact with my dealer to arrange a loaner to be delivered to our house. They will also send us a gift card for $800 for the gas that we will undoubtably use for the two months that they say will take to get the car back to us. Let's hope they deliver.
Did your "Electrical System" warning light come on? I had a call today with Audi NA. with very little information mainly just to say I will receive a letter in the mail. When asked they told me no loaner, never mentioned gift card, and said I can just keep driving it...
Old 06-12-2019, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Eone
Did your "Electrical System" warning light come on? I had a call today with Audi NA. with very little information mainly just to say I will receive a letter in the mail. When asked they told me no loaner, never mentioned gift card, and said I can just keep driving it...
They've offered me a loaner and increased the $800 to $1500 because $800 wouldn't cover gas for me for 2 months. I still don't know that I want to make lease payments on a car sitting in the shop idle, so they're gonna get back to me on options here.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Reliantg
They've offered me a loaner and increased the $800 to $1500 because $800 wouldn't cover gas for me for 2 months. I still don't know that I want to make lease payments on a car sitting in the shop idle, so they're gonna get back to me on options here.
Understood but did your red warning light go ON? I just asking because it seems that if it activates Audi bend over backward's but not so if it has not been triggered on the car...

Last edited by Eone; 06-12-2019 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Understood but did your red warning light go ON? I just asking because it seems that if it activates Audi bend over backward's but not so if it is not been triggered on the car...
That's the impression I got as well when they called me. I even brought it up and they said they would work with the dealer if the light came on. It seems like they changed their approach mid-way through informing everyone.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Understood but did your red warning light go ON? I just asking because it seems that if it activates Audi bend over backward's but not so if it has not been triggered on the car...
No, light is not on. But they seem to be bending over backwards anyways. I've gotten 3 calls from AOA and 2 from my dealer. Their urgency is what has me more worried, cause it seems like they're super worried. Seems weird that some reps are worried and that some are not.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Reliantg
No, light is not on. But they seem to be bending over backwards anyways. I've gotten 3 calls from AOA and 2 from my dealer. Their urgency is what has me more worried, cause it seems like they're super worried. Seems weird that some reps are worried and that some are not.
Well they don't seem to be worried out here in Californa. My dealer never replied to my emails and Audi was fine with me not only continuing to uses the car daily but also taking it on our planned summer trip next month up north..
Old 06-12-2019, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well they don't seem to be worried out here in Californa. My dealer never replied to my emails and Audi was fine with me not only continuing to uses the car daily but also taking it on our planned summer trip next month up north..
I'm in the Bay Area too ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quick Reply: Voluntary recall on 2019 e-tron's