Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Voluntary recall on 2019 e-tron's

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LavaGrau_A3
Are you serious?? Just what would a person not targeted by the recall be compensated for? Hurt feelings?
Hmm... comparing to people who are affected and have to wait two months (especially for those who paid for the car), you have a good working e-tron to play with if you're not affected by the recall. That's a blessing! :- ) Enjoy the new e-tron!
Old 06-11-2019, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I was hoping to get the E1 only to get the dark interior wood. I can't understand why the E-tron or the Q7 (what I currently drive) doesn't have other options besides the wood trim they offer which looks like fake plastic wood (or really plastic wood lol) like just about every other car maker's wood (Volvo and a few others excepted). ..I hate wood interiors. Great on Model Ts, not so much on modern cars...give me carbon fiber, aluminum, etc... but at least the E1 one was dark so not noticeable. Maybe I can get a Prestige and order the E1 wood later from a 3rd party...
Old 06-11-2019, 05:28 PM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by suttoni
So if I understand this, those affected get a refund of the $995 Audi Care fee and will be "made whole" on all their driving costs. They won't even have to pay for car insurance during the repair period. Their cars will be fixed eventually, and at that point every owner/lessee will be on equal footing with respect to having their e-Tron in safe condition.

Except, those of us who ordered Audi Care and not affected by the recall will have paid $995 more.
First, owners will still need to carry insurance especially if leased or financed. Most dealers dont carry garagekeepers coverage. Second the e tron is a late 2019 model...2020s will be out in the fall. The 2019 vehicles will lose value like a VW Passat so being down two months is significant depreciation and real money lost. The extremely high lease rates which are a combination of low residuals and a high MF validate even Audi knows these will lose a lot of value in three years. Given the fix will take two months it is apparent there is some complexity to it which means there is a realistic risk some issues down the road. For those who have not signed yet my recommendation is to cancel and reorder.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

This is currently all over the press here in Germany. It does affect e-trons up to a certain chassis number and later ones are already fixed. There is a fix, but as always they gonna have to make enough parts and get them in the supply chain while also having enough parts to produce new e-trons. It's gonna take a while for all the dealerships to get the parts to address the recall. Supposedly 540 are affected in the USA alone and some 1650 worldwide.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
This is currently all over the press here in Germany. It does affect e-trons up to a certain chassis number and later ones are already fixed. There is a fix, but as always they gonna have to make enough parts and get them in the supply chain while also having enough parts to produce new e-trons. It's gonna take a while for all the dealerships to get the parts to address the recall. Supposedly 540 are affected in the USA alone and some 1650 worldwide.
Yep, same story in Belgium. Mine isn't affected, apparently. I do wonder: clearly the issue has been fixed mid March. Meaning that, way earlier than mid March, someone realised that there was an issue, and fixed it for all new cars. So why did it take (at least) 3 months before a recall was initiated ? Unless the problem wasn't detected by Audi, but by the third party supplier of the part, and silently fixed... If not, then Audi has some explaining to do...
Old 06-12-2019, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

I heard from two different sources, all cars are effected by this recall were produced by week 11.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by anemeth
I heard from two different sources, all cars are effected by this recall were produced by week 11.
Your sources are incorrect

And frankly, does it even matter ? The majority of them are affected. A small portion are not. If you’re affected you likely have been contacted by this point.

I have 2 produced week 6, both affected. One is my demo one is for sale.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

The free Audi care is a nice gesture. They contacted me and told me I'm free to continue to drive my car until the parts are available. No warning lights so far, so I'm taking it in stride.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Marty110
Good story on the recall can be found here: https://www.slashgear.com/audi-e-tro...know-10579870/
Thanks for the link.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

My etron arrived at JAX port last Friday. It has not yet been released. I did call Audi this morning and they said there was no hold so it should be released shortly. I asked if it was subject to the recall and they looked it up and said it was not. My build date was mid April so it appears that previous comments regarding a certain production week cutoff are accurate. At least per Audi.

Quick Reply: Voluntary recall on 2019 e-tron's