AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-e-tron-q8-e-tron-232/)
-   -   Watch Bjorn Nyland test range (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-e-tron-q8-e-tron-232/watch-bjorn-nyland-test-range-2972932/)

alexlear 05-25-2019 06:49 AM

Watch Bjorn Nyland test range

Currently live streaming the range test.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD3...9BSHufERd4sqwQ

LavaGrau_A3 05-25-2019 05:16 PM

Synopsis now available. Bjorn says it is his second choice after Tesla. High praise indeed from a diehard Tesla fan. ;)

Results:

90 km/h, 56 mph: 370 km, 230 mi, 225 Wh/km, 362 Wh/mi
120 km/h, 75 mph: 270 km, 168 mi, 308 Wh/km, 496 Wh/mi

20" wheels, but otherwise perfect conditions. Maybe a little more headwind than optimum. The 90 km/h test is Bjorn's simulation of EPA. If the EPA had rated e-tron at 230 miles, I would have been totally at peace with it.

BTW, enjoying my E1 immensely and the efficiency is more than fine. I have a light foot from 3 years of Cayenne PHEV driving and the 100% range predictions have remained above 230.

LavaGrau_A3 05-25-2019 06:57 PM

BTW, Bjorn blames some of the lack of efficiency on the use of permanent magnet motors that can't be shut off for coasting. Huh? I can find no evidence of the use of permanent magnet motors, only references to asynchronous motors requiring no use of rare earth magnets. I think he has it wrong. Yes or no?

alexlear 05-25-2019 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by LavaGrau_A3 (Post 25321688)
BTW, Bjorn blames some of the lack of efficiency on the use of permanent magnet motors that can't be shut off for coasting. Huh? I can find no evidence of the use of permanent magnet motors, only references to asynchronous motors requiring no use of rare earth magnets. I think he has it wrong. Yes or no?

Yeah, I think he's misunderstanding both the e-trons drivetrain and the reason for the efficiency when compared to a Tesla drivetrain. The e-tron uses two induction motors. These have a wide power band but are not as efficient as a permanent magnet motor at a specified fixed load. The e-tron can theoretically shut down or reduce power to the rear motor but the front motor is only a little more efficient. Now compare that to the updated Tesla Model S/X design. Large AC motor in the rear for a wide power band and a permanent magnet motor in the front optimized for highway RPM. The rear motor can be completely shut down with almost no drag and power directed to the very efficient permanent magnet synchronous reluctance motor. Tesla also recently improved its power electronics by a few percent which also helps.

LavaGrau_A3 05-25-2019 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by alexlear (Post 25321712)
Yeah, I think he's misunderstanding both the e-trons drivetrain and the reason for the efficiency when compared to a Tesla drivetrain. The e-tron uses two induction motors. These have a wide power band but are not as efficient as a permanent magnet motor at a specified fixed load. The e-tron can theoretically shut down or reduce power to the rear motor but the front motor is only a little more efficient. Now compare that to the updated Tesla Model S/X design. Large AC motor in the rear for a wide power band and a permanent magnet motor in the front optimized for highway RPM. The rear motor can be completely shut down with almost no drag and power directed to the very efficient permanent magnet synchronous reluctance motor. Tesla also recently improved its power electronics by a few percent which also helps.

That's what I thought. Thanks for the additional input. Between what I'm seeing in my own car and the results Bjorn got, I'm satisfied that the efficiency and range are reasonable for the comfort and quality the car delivers.

Just went for a joyride to the EA charger in town (the long way). What a wonderful drive this car is.