Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Weird configuration limitations

Old 02-02-2019, 01:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Weird configuration limitations

As I was playing with the online configurator, I've noticed two weird things:

- when you select the 360 cameras, you can't select the automatic parking option (so that the car parks itself). I guess they can't combine the cameras with parking sensors ?

- Much weirder: when I select the "pack assistance tour", which includes all the fun stuff like adaptive cruise control, lane assist, traffic sign recognition, ..., the only steering wheel you can select, is the standard one. No sport steering wheel, no heated steering wheel, ... This one really has me (and my dealer) puzzled :-)

Any ideas ?
Old 02-02-2019, 01:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

(just to be clear: same thing in the Dutch, Belgian and UK configurator)
Old 02-02-2019, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 487 Likes on 331 Posts

Audi advanced parking systems only control the steering, not accelerator and brakes. So the car will not park itself, as a BMW or Mercedes will. Pretty useless option if you ask me, I have it on both my cars and never use it.

But they don't have this 360° environment cameras and Advanced Parking limitation with any of their other models. In fact, with many other of their models the 360° cameras are only available in combination with Advanced Parking (not in the North American region). So it is a bit strange, and must be a design / packaging limitation of using a camera vs a radar sensor - in the mirrors? If so, seems a bit feeble. I can understand an issue with the virtual side mirrors if optioned, but not with the standard mirrors.

The steering wheel limitation is unusual, because the control functions on all the wheels seem identical (apart from the heating component). But it is clearly not a configurator error, as the inability to use the option wheels with the tour assistance pack is clearly detailed under the description for each of the option wheels (or at least is on the German site). I have seen Audi make similar restrictions before on new models. Typically, it is restricted parts supply from their OEM partners, and they try to manage the limited supply via option combinations / restrictions. Meaning this current restriction could ease in the future?