Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Why not use Porsche's Battery Supplier?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Why not use Porsche's Battery Supplier?

I have read the new Motor Trend "future" vehicles feature in the latest issue. I looked for two vehicles to be on the list and they were both there:

Porsche Taycan
Audi E-tron GT

The commentary on the Audi reveal said that it was a "nicely rebodied, Taycan."

The range for the Porsche: "more than 300 miles."

The Audis' range: 204 miles.

The performance is similar for both: ~3.5 seconds to 60.

The price, assumed to be "base": $85,000 Porcshe, $75,000 Audi.

Does Audi get "last gen" batteries and Porsche "current gen?"

I've seen the ads, watched the youtube videos, read several reviews (most of them good), and I have driven the E-tron.

I had two of the spaces in my three-car garage set up for level-two charging (using 240volt, 40amp, 10kw JuiceBox charging technology): I'm ready.

I drive, however, one-way, to/from Columbus from Cincinnati. 100 miles one-way. Currently available charging stations are, currently, not conveniently located to calm "range anxiety." The "announcement" range of 248 miles was at the absolute lowest range that made sense.

I understand that "every morning" I would start fresh with 204 miles "in the tank," and 5 days a week that would, TODAY, be workable.

The Taycan, assuming the 300-mile range "sticks," gits it done.

The question, above, stands: how is it that Porsche gets a 50% longer range (is THAT what the $10,000 difference is for?) -- meanwhile, Audi gets the shortest range of the market?

The possibility of a hybrid Q8 is "somewhat" attractive but also brings with it two drivetrains both requiring at least some maintenance and, in combination, increase the complexity of the powertrain.

Luckily we have an '18 S4 and a '19 Q8, so we're not in any immediate "need to buy" situation.

This situation, described above, is both frustrating and disappointing, however -- to say nothing of confusing.

Does anyone know why the Porsche gets the "necessary range" for those of us in fly-over country who may typically need more than a 204 mile range?
Old 05-26-2019, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

If I recall correctly Taycan and e-tron GT are using 800 volt charging system. It is not a whole new gen, but merely rearranging the battery cells in parallel, doubling up the charging controller to achieve double the amperage, and charging at 800 Volts vs 400-500 volts - for better efficiency and higher charging wattage with less amperage.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts

I think the thing you always need to think about with EVs is whatever range it's rated at is generally applicable in "ideal" conditions. So, cold temps, wind, rain, speed are going to impact that range considerably. With ICE cars, no big deal, just another 5 minute fill up. Not so with EV. Therefore, if your trip is 200 miles round trip and you want to be able to do it on one charge, you need a considerable buffer. Realistically, I'd think a 300 mile range would be optimal to minimize range anxiety in less than ideal driving conditions. Otherwise, I'd think you'd need to good a good plan B with charging at your destination or a reasonable charging site on the way home.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Hmm I think I got the above opposite. Putting the cells in (relative more) series, results in higher operating and charging voltage (800V); therefore, given the same amperage you will get double the charging rate ( compare to 400 volt) because Wattage : Voltage X current.

Up-side is more power possible ( for both charging and consuming).
One of the down-sides are there are more cells to keep balanced (via battery monitoring and management)
Old 05-26-2019, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KA6_2.7T
Hmm I think I got the above opposite. Putting the cells in (relative more) series, results in higher operating and charging voltage (800V); therefore, given the same amperage you will get double the charging rate ( compare to 400 volt) because Wattage : Voltage X current.
Yes, and there is an additional benefit of less efficiency loss due to power lost as heat in the charging/battery/motor cabling when using higher voltage with less current. (I squared R losses)
Old 05-26-2019, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Does anyone know why the Porsche gets the "necessary range" for those of us in fly-over country who may typically need more than a 204 mile range?
According to the press, Porsche Taycan 300 mile number is based on WLTP range, not EPA. So what are we looking at realistically? The WLTP range of the e-tron is 259.1 miles, which shrivelled to an EPA of 204. That same percentage decrement applied to the Taycan yields a potential EPA of just 236 miles. Fool me once…
Old 05-26-2019, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts

Yes, WLTP is a fantasy. Why do they even bother? Until you start seeing real world consumption like Gerry is posting, you can't know. Even now, the data we are seeing represents pretty ideal weather conditions. Wait until winter...
Old 05-26-2019, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 125 Likes on 80 Posts

I'm in a similar situation a bit further West of you. I have 85 mile each way trip that I have to do 3-4 times a month. I asked the office manger to have a 110 exterior outlet installed so I can pick up an additional 10-15 kWh each I visit just to carry a little buffer. I plan to check and test the 3 available charge locations on the route. If things look bad enough I plan to chicken out and use my ICE truck.

With the present infrastructure for EV's don't be afraid to chicken out.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Does this mean you are saying the EPA 204 for the Audi is likely to translate to 236 EPA for the Porsche? If so, that's 15% more for the Porsche -- and yet, even 236 is about 14 too low for me (your circumstances may differ) to NOT have an ICE vehicle, too.

I know the range will increase and the charging stations and accessibility will only get better -- but I'm impatient.

I did love driving the E-tron, but -- at this juncture -- my vote would have to be for a Q8 for the sole reason of "range."
Old 05-26-2019, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Does this mean you are saying the EPA 204 for the Audi is likely to translate to 236 EPA for the Porsche? If so, that's 15% more for the Porsche -- and yet, even 236 is about 14 too low for me (your circumstances may differ) to NOT have an ICE vehicle, too.

I know the range will increase and the charging stations and accessibility will only get better -- but I'm impatient.

I did love driving the E-tron, but -- at this juncture -- my vote would have to be for a Q8 for the sole reason of "range."
It is a possibility, yes. WLTP is wildly optimistic and when Porsche says more than 300 they are talking WLTP. That's why I was surprised that people swooning over the Q4 Concept with a promised range of 280. That's a target of only 21 miles more range than the e-tron. Pretty low bar for a car two years or so away.

The EA chargers are going in at a remarkable pace here on the West Coast, so we're lucky. One 150kW charger along your route is all you need. A 10 minute charge and you'd be set. Gotta plan for winter and bad weather as well and that would give you the flexibility.

Last edited by LavaGrau_A3; 05-26-2019 at 07:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Why not use Porsche's Battery Supplier?