Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

This will be possible from mid-2019 onwards...........

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default This will be possible from mid-2019 onwards...........

Anybody wondering about holding off getting delivery for a few months?

From the Nov 2018 PR announcement

file:///Users/mike/Documents/car/E-TRON/en_PressInformation_Audi_e-tron.pdf

.......New offering: flexible booking of additional features Digitalization reaches a whole new level in the Audi e-tron. The Audi e-tron will be the first model from the brand with the four rings to give its customers scope for adding certain functions in the areas of light, driver assistance systems and infotainment – on demand and at any time. This will be possible from mid-2019 onwards. Even after they have taken delivery of it, the customer can now continually customize it to their individual requirements. Every function can be obtained for varying periods – monthly, annually or permanently. Functions are booked conveniently via the car’s MMI system, the myAudi app or the myAudi service portal, and paid for easily and securely via AudiPay.......
Old 02-24-2019, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cannot discern any benefit to waiting. My guess is that systems such as night vision are already built into all vehicles. After all, the e-tron comes loaded with sensors and cameras of all kinds. Additionally, there would be no need for the after-delivery installation of physical control switches or buttons as all will be done on-screen after a bit of on-board computer programming has been accomplished. Another "option" that I would be willing, if not eager, to buy would be a dashboard camera. The camera is already installed, controls and viewing would be on the upper central screen and storage would be in one of the many computer chip already online. Pretty cleaver of Audi! How about this -- in conjunction with the navigation system, a parent could be sent a message when his or her child travels beyond a set boundary. The possibilities are endless.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I've seen this mentioned a few times and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm not sure I want subscriptions for features of my car. I can see where this might be useful but it forces the hardware for all these features to be put in the car whether you want it or not. If I don't want it I'd rather save the money on the hardware in the first place. On the flip side, if someone knew they wanted a feature in the future but couldn't afford it now, this seems like a reasonable compromise. Perhaps this is no different than subscribing to satellite radio for a receiver already built in the car.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 1st Audi Owner
My guess is that systems such as night vision are already built into all vehicles.
Yes, except night vision is one of the only ones not included in all vehicles currently. FYI, you can see the lens in the right most ring when looking at the front emblem. See the question mark sensor in my attached photo:

Old 02-24-2019, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

The analogy you made to satellite radio is spot on. It is built into every luxury vehicle, but I wonder how many owners subscribe to it? I don't.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

I read the blurb and assumed the mid 2019 referred to the upgrade feature availability and not the delivery date of the vehicle. Does it say they are making a hardware update to the vehicle to support this?
Old 02-25-2019, 12:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

You make an excellent point. I would be willing to bet a buck that the hardware is already installed. Just take a look at "Audi Connect." It must cost Audi pennies to program this service into its software, yet with a few activating keystrokes it can become an enormous revenue stream. The digital age is a cash bonanza for auto makers. Look at Audi's "Virtual Cockpit." There is no longer the need for Audi to manufacture and stock dashboards printed in the languages of the countries in which it sells vehicles. For the same cost, Audi can warn us to "Check Engine" in whatever language we speak. The screen that comprises the Virtual Cockpit must be far less expensive than the cost to manufacture and install the many gauges that it has replaced. It must also simplify the build process. No need to be concerned about which car gets what electronic option, the manufacturer simply activates it or not, as needed. The WOW factor is just beginning.