Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Wireless Phone Charging - iPhone X fail

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wireless Phone Charging - iPhone X fail

I believe there is a problem with my wireless phone charger already.
First drive home it seemed to fully charge the device with no issues. And when I put it in the 'cradle' now it starts to charge and alerts that it is charging and the little charging battery indicator appears. All seems well for 'a few minutes' and then it stops.
I only really noticed it yesterday because I went for a bit of a road trip and later on in the day when I stopped for dinner on the way home it was down to 20%.
Even went to apple store today to try one of their wireless chargers (don't have one at home) - and it seemed fine for about 5 minutes it kept charging.
Curious if anyone else hits an issue - might just be faulty pad. Thought it might be because of the iPhone camera bump but - that doesn't seem to matter.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

You sound pretty familiar with wireless inductive charging but I figured I would mention that it needs to be properly aligned. Is there any chance vehicle vibration is moving it slightly to misalign the coils? Is there any room to slide your phone forward/backward/up/down? How much can you move it before it stops charging?

All the other Audi phone boxes I've seen are horizontal, unlike the vertical one in e-tron, so maybe it's more suceptable to motion.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I consider this one ‘horitontal’ As well. But not familiar with the other ones. Anything is possible - but it’s pretty ‘repeatable’ (I believe it happens every time now )

i need to look at it more closely and rtfm - but wireless charging is not typically a complicated end user experience) I try to align it centered against the available surface and it almost always pops up saying that it is charging.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The wireless charger seems to work fine with my iphone X in my Edition One.

The back of the phone goes toward the driver, which I'm sure you already know (falls into the "make sure its plugged in properly" category).

Do you have another phone that you can try with the car? That way you can figure out if its the car or the phone.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

One other thing to check. In the menu system somewhere I remember seeing an option to activate wireless phone charging. Good idea to check if that is turned on or not.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Thanks

Yes it’s turned on. The notification and icon appear and then disappears a bit later.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default iphone 8 Wireless charging issue

I have had no problem with wireless charging for the first 2 months in the e tron but the problem has now started.
I don't know if it is related to the IOS 13 download or some other failure.
I'm going to try another iphone with IOS 12 or less to see if that works and then I will update this post.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:40 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Travatello
I have had no problem with wireless charging for the first 2 months in the e tron but the problem has now started.
I don't know if it is related to the IOS 13 download or some other failure.
I'm going to try another iphone with IOS 12 or less to see if that works and then I will update this post.
I have an iPhone 8 with the most current iOS 13 update and no problems charging.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Iphone Xr

No problems with Xr on IOS 13
Old 10-11-2019, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

And no problems with iphone Xs on iOS 13 here.

Quick Reply: Wireless Phone Charging - iPhone X fail