AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-e-tron-q8-e-tron-232/)
-   -   Electrify America app and terrible pricing change (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-e-tron-q8-e-tron-232/electrify-america-app-terrible-pricing-change-2973562/)

alexlear 06-04-2019 01:54 PM

I think EA's original pricing didn't take in to account that an e-tron could suck in 2.5kwh per minute, hence the tiered pricing and the perceived price hike. I agree the price premium is acceptable over home charging (even in my area at 12cents/kwh). I'm just not a fan of it being more expensive than the equivalent gas price. It makes me want to drive the gas car on trips. You make up for it with cheap power at home though. It's hard to educate potential buyers on all these details.

You're right about the pass+ being a no brainier. It seems like you make up the $4 difference in about a 1/4 e-tron charge. I'll obviously wait until the free credits are used up but that seems like the best option if you fast charge once in a while.

e-tronDriver 06-04-2019 05:45 PM

You guys have some great electricity rates. I'm paying 25 cents per KWh with no off-peak hours.

LavaGrau_A3 06-06-2019 09:06 AM

Not a great presentation, but Eric makes some good points about payment structures. Interestingly enough, Bjorn has a video out today on a similar subject and problems with the Ionity pay per session structure.

A4rooster 06-06-2019 09:30 AM

Not sure I agree with his analogy of gas station pricing. It only makes sense if the pumps had different flow rates. I believe the reason EV electricity selling is done by time is that to sell kWh you need to be a regulated utility. Perhaps that will change in the future but for now it is what it is.

bugout 06-06-2019 10:00 AM

Great video, and makes some very good points.

alexlear 06-06-2019 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by LavaGrau_A3 (Post 25326823)
Not a great presentation, but Eric makes some good points about payment structures.

Agreed, he makes some good points. I'm not sure there is a right way to handle the situation at this point in the EV evolution.

I noticed that the charge tiers are labeled 1-150kw and not 1-75kw, 75-125kw, and 125-150kw. Does that mean that when the charge rate tapers below 125kw, we still pay the higher rate? If that were true and you had "pass+", there is incentive to restart the charging session when it drops below 125kw to get the lower rate if you're going to 100%.

LavaGrau_A3 06-06-2019 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by alexlear (Post 25326891)
Agreed, he makes some good points. I'm not sure there is a right way to handle the situation at this point in the EV evolution.

I noticed that the charge tiers are labeled 1-150kw and not 1-75kw, 75-125kw, and 125-150kw. Does that mean that when the charge rate tapers below 125kw, we still pay the higher rate? If that were true and you had "pass+", there is incentive to restart the charging session when it drops below 125kw to get the lower rate if you're going to 100%.

From what I understand, the car tells the charging unit its max rated capability during the initialization and the entirety of the session is charged at that level. So the e-tron will fair better than some.

michaelf 06-07-2019 04:22 PM

If it helps keep the < 100 kW vehicles off of the higher-rate chargers, then it's not all bad.