AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-e-tron-q8-e-tron-232/)
-   -   MMI NAV issue yesterday (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-e-tron-q8-e-tron-232/mmi-nav-issue-yesterday-2974824/)

e-tronDriver 06-27-2019 06:32 AM

MMI NAV issue yesterday

Has anyone had issues with the MMI NAV incorrectly reporting traffic conditions? On my way home from work last night, the system put me on what looked like an all-green route, but when I got on the highway it was jam-packed with traffic, and the NAV was still showing green everywhere, and continued to do so for my entire 50-minute journey. I have had situations in prior Audi's where the traffic indication was completely missing due to a Sirius XM glitch, but this is the first time it has been present, but completely wrong over my entire 20-mile route home. I switched over to Google Maps during the drive, which was correctly showing red everywhere along my route. Weird.

DMcDnald 06-27-2019 12:04 PM

Boston traffic has been hellish lately. 128 was a disaster yesterday.

LavaGrau_A3 06-27-2019 03:56 PM

I've found the Sirius XM traffic needs to be taken with a grain of salt. As far as I know, the XM traffic gets info from truck GPS data. I often see slow traffic warnings going up the Sierra on I80 because the truck traffic slows to below the speed limit during the ascent. Routes not frequented by trucks, like certain restricted highways, also give questionable data. That being said, I find the info valuable if somewhat unpredictable. Same on any nav using Sirius XM data.

e-tronDriver 06-28-2019 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by LavaGrau_A3 (Post 25335762)
I've found the Sirius XM traffic needs to be taken with a grain of salt. As far as I know, the XM traffic gets info from truck GPS data. I often see slow traffic warnings going up the Sierra on I80 because the truck traffic slows to below the speed limit during the ascent. Routes not frequented by trucks, like certain restricted highways, also give questionable data. That being said, I find the info valuable if somewhat unpredictable. Same on any nav using Sirius XM data.

Are we sure that the e-tron is getting it's traffic data from Sirius/XM? My e-tron has consistently been showing all green in a specific 8 mile stretch of highway that is always jammed up during rush hour, while my 2015 Q7 (which definitely uses Sirius/XM for traffic) shows the correct status in this same area (red everywhere). I can't figure out why the e-tron is missing this.

LavaGrau_A3 06-28-2019 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by e-tronDriver (Post 25335990)
Are we sure that the e-tron is getting it's traffic data from Sirius/XM? My e-tron has consistently been showing all green in a specific 8 mile stretch of highway that is always jammed up during rush hour, while my 2015 Q7 (which definitely uses Sirius/XM for traffic) shows the correct status in this same area (red everywhere). I can't figure out why the e-tron is missing this.

I had just assumed Sirius XM based on the presentation and history of Audi using that product. Definitely not getting it from Google though (based on your original post).

bugout 06-28-2019 07:16 AM

No built in car system compares to waze. There’s really no excuse not to use it with Android auto/CarPlay.

SchwarzS6 06-28-2019 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by LavaGrau_A3 (Post 25336004)
I had just assumed Sirius XM based on the presentation and history of Audi using that product. Definitely not getting it from Google though (based on your original post).

Audi, MB and BMW went in together a number of years ago and purchased HERE maps for navigation. I believe they also use the HERE traffic database as their standard traffic source. This is supplied via the cellular connection using Audi Connect. Traffic will go away when you 6 month Audi Connect trial subscription expires (I think the e-Tron buyers get the same 6 month trial as everyone else). If you want traffic after the 6 month trial period you either have to re-up for Audi connect or you may be able to change the coding in the MMI to use Sirius XM traffic. Switching to Sirius XM traffic was a hidden, and not publicized option for the previous generation MMI which could be activated using VAG-COM or by the dealer. You then need to get the Sirius XM traffic subscription.

e-tronDriver 06-28-2019 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6 (Post 25336044)
Audi, MB and BMW went in together a number of years ago and purchased HERE maps for navigation. I believe they also use the HERE traffic database as their standard traffic source. This is supplied via the cellular connection using Audi Connect. Traffic will go away when you 6 month Audi Connect trial subscription expires (I think the e-Tron buyers get the same 6 month trial as everyone else). If you want traffic after the 6 month trial period you either have to re-up for Audi connect or you may be able to change the coding in the MMI to use Sirius XM traffic. Switching to Sirius XM traffic was a hidden, and not publicized option for the previous generation MMI which could be activated using VAG-COM or by the dealer. You then need to get the Sirius XM traffic subscription.

Thanks, so if this info is accurate the HERE traffic database has a flaw or for some reason it's not picking up the status of traffic along this stretch of highway. Google maps and Sirius/XM both work properly.

KaDeTime 06-28-2019 11:25 AM

Not sure about eteon as still in order however the SQ has option to select live data from google if you car Audi connect and google maps, radio FM data, or XM data, for traffic. I normally use google with car play as this provides the most accurate live report otherwise I have emit set up for FM.