AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-e-tron-q8-e-tron-232/)
-   -   Power tailgate unresponsive to foot gesture (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-e-tron-q8-e-tron-232/power-tailgate-unresponsive-foot-gesture-2985736/)

Mike in CA 01-08-2020 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Spideymd (Post 25405957)
I would take it to the dealer. The kick function works for me perfectly every time. I stand in the center a few inches from the car and gently kick. That’s it. I do not have a tow hitch installed. Good luck.

Thanks. Yeah, I thought I had it figured out as I found a location under the bumper where it worked like 4 out of 5 times. When I tried again later in the exact location, using the same technique, it failed about 15 times in a row. Something is wrong; time to let the dealer work it out..

etron8451 01-09-2020 03:00 PM

It's difficult for me to get the thing to work properly. I have to just put my foot under the bumper and also hit the bumper with my shin in order for it to work. Just waiving my foot under the bumper hardly ever works, but if you also hit the rear bumper it works almost all the time. Thanks

ChrisInBoulder 02-07-2022 06:48 AM

Hi Mike,

Did you ever figure this out? I have exact same problem (albeit a 2018 A4 Allroad) that had a aftermarket hitch installed. It did work better before hitch was installed so am guessing it has to do something with interference. Wondering if the dealer was able to increase the sensitivity of the sensors? That probably would fix it. Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!

mtberman 02-07-2022 07:11 AM

I have a 2021 e-tron with the tow pack. The sensor seems to be on the right side of the hitch and I can activate it in one of two ways:
  • Raise right foot to almost touching the bumper cover to the right of the hitch opening, and wave it back and forth or in/out. My foot or shin has to be almost touching the bumper for it to work reliably.
  • Kick the hitch receptacle firmly with the right foot.
The latter one I learned by accident while putting my bike rack into the hitch. Simply bumping the hitch assembly almost always triggers the tailgate on mine.

TTom TTR 02-07-2022 09:20 AM

wish ours on the ID.4 was less responsive, while sliding the charging cable around the car I triggered it and it whacked the garage door and put a gouge on the tail gate. :|

CaymanGT4 02-14-2022 10:48 AM

My foot activated tailgate is batting around .250 I have a new 2022 Q7 and if a cops sees me trying to maintain my balance and swing my foot at that same time he is going Breathalyzer me !

Wasn't sure if it me , or sensor , wrong area , too much foot not enough foot , now I just make sure I have free hand , but if someone knows the secret foot shake pls let me know

SDakota 02-14-2022 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by CaymanGT4 (Post 25681540)
Wasn't sure if it me , or sensor , wrong area , too much foot not enough foot , now I just make sure I have free hand , but if someone knows the secret foot shake pls let me know

Try kicking forward quickly and then move your foot straight back and out of range again. I've had good luck with that method on four different Audis and one Volvo. You may have to try it in different areas under the bumper to find where it works consistently.

CaymanGT4 02-14-2022 11:01 AM

Thanks , I'll give it a try

JNealCox 02-14-2022 12:36 PM

Be swift! Kick it like you hate it.

ThomasW 02-14-2022 04:55 PM

And make sure not to stand too close to the car as it seems to want to not open the tailgate if it thinks it may hit you.