Audi Euro Delivery Program Discussion Discussion forum for Audi's Euro Delivery Program - questions & experiences

2010 S4 european delivery experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CFGTTS
It was delivered to the CA dealer I ordered from Dec 4th, in port on Nov 5th. Delivered to me on the 24th of December via transport. Damaged. Wait for my post that will explain how my Euro Delivery experience went wrong at every level...........

Not necessarily. Depending when you drop it off, it will sit there in a very tight parking lot until they have enough to fill a truck. You will be surprised at the Munich drop-off point. I walked away hoping my car would come home not damaged.......it didn't. They truck that thing on a truck, not sure if it is closed transport, I say not! The release you sign states road damage, such as rock chips.... due to trucking...........not covered!
Can you share what kine of damage your car had ?
Did your Audi dealer fix the car before delivery or they simply sent it damaged to you ?
Old 01-10-2010, 06:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by patinsd
Msrp -5%
yep, that's what i got. went to several dealers, and that was the best.

Calculation:
msrp was 60,325, 5% discount at $3016.25, gas guzzler tax was 1300, so 586075 + taxes (6% in MD), title, fees = out the door price of $62,918. not an amazing deal, but i can use miles and points for the trip so i saved a bit.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for your advice .
Just a ?
When you droped off your car ,I guess you did at CDG airport .
The people who toke your key and paper were they Audi people ?
Yes, I dropped off the car at CDG airport. Audi uses the Harms shipping service (yes, the joke is that you leave your car in Harms' way...), which isn't the easiest thing to find at that large airport. I saw that someone offered you a map to help find it -- do take him up on that offer. Even a good NAV system won't find the place. Harms is a very reputable and reliable firm, and they are used by many other European manufacturers. The staff there did speak at least some English, though they moved quite slowly through the drop off process. They will, however, call a taxi for you, and the taxi service is fairly prompt.

Several years ago I picked up a car at the Mercedes factory in Stuttgart and drove the car around Germany and Austria, then left it in Munich in a hotel parking garage. I left the keys with the hotel concierge and that was all there was to it. Harms picked up the car there and shipped it to the US, and it took only about 6 weeks.

I gave up on my dealer and contacted Gary at Audi USA, who handles the European delivery program, and he filled me in on what's up with my car. It should have arrived in Rhode Island last Friday, January 8. Customs could take 3 - 5 days to release the car, then it will be shipped to my dealer, which will take several additional days. So, I suspect that I may be able to get my car some time during the week of January 18, at the earliest. That will be about 8 weeks since I left the car in Paris.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by nvofevery1
I'm dropping mine off back in Munich. I feel like it might get to the states a bit faster that way.
It may be a bit quicker. I dropped off my S5 in Paris, and it will probably take about 8 weeks to get it, based on info I just received from Gary of Audi's European Delivery Program. By way of comparison, I left a Mercedes in Munich several years ago, and it took only about 6 weeks to get it. So, you may save about 2 weeks.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks TIME89 to move the thread in the right place .
To answer your question ,I am planing to stay 17 days.
I will pick up the car and the same day, drive to Besancon france (375 miles south west of Ingolstadt)stay 3 days with fanily and drive to Grenoble France for 10 days (my parents live their).
I will return the car at the drop off location in Amsterdam (my sister in law lives their).
And I will wait and wait and wait here for the US delivery .
Thats the plan
I drove my S5 for several days in France and got stopped by the gendarmes in Reims because they didn't like the license plate that Audi provided. They claimed it was valid only in Germany. But, they didn't bother to ask for my driver's license and didn't want to see the paperwork that Audi provided. I think they were bored and wanted to check out an unusual car -- nearly all of their questions were about the car. I kept a good sense of humor with them and they responded in kind, and after about half an hour they let me go on my way. So, be prepared -- just in case.

Also, as you may know, unlike Germany, France has installed an extraordinary number of fixed and mobile radar speed traps on its highways. My Audi-supplied NAV system kept reminding me about that. Killjoys.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Audi-X2
I drove my S5 for several days in France and got stopped by the gendarmes in Reims because they didn't like the license plate that Audi provided. They claimed it was valid only in Germany. But, they didn't bother to ask for my driver's license and didn't want to see the paperwork that Audi provided. I think they were bored and wanted to check out an unusual car -- nearly all of their questions were about the car. I kept a good sense of humor with them and they responded in kind, and after about half an hour they let me go on my way. So, be prepared -- just in case.

Also, as you may know, unlike Germany, France has installed an extraordinary number of fixed and mobile radar speed traps on its highways. My Audi-supplied NAV system kept reminding me about that. Killjoys.
Thanks for the informations .
I moved from France to the US 10 years ago and still have a car there (Opel),since I moved ,the color ,shape of licence plate changed 3 times ,they are now white with black letter and reflective ,in my car the licence plate are black with white letter and non reflective so every time I drive the car overthere I get stopped and they start asking questions and ask for assurance and driving licence so I give them my US driving licence and US passeport and it's all fine .The worst cop in France are the border patrol .
Old 01-12-2010, 07:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I posted this on the other thread, but it may be more appropriate here: Should I use the service and pay for the winter tires? Not sure how well the S5 with summer tires will handle German winters?
Old 01-12-2010, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

I posted this on the other thread, but it may be more appropriate here: Should I use the service and pay for the winter tires? Not sure how well the S5 with summer tires will handle German winters?
My understand is that you if you get in an accident and are not using winter tires in Germany, you're automtically at fault. If I were to drive in Germany during the winter, I would try to find a set of winter tires myself.

Are you thinking of renting or buying winter tires? I know that John from edwintertires.com rents winter tires/wheels for BMWs and I've been trying to convince him to do the same for Audis.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was thinking of renting them just for the trip. I will inquire with Audi about this. Thanks!
Old 01-12-2010, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

I was thinking of renting them just for the trip. I will inquire with Audi about this. Thanks!
Try to contact edwintertires.com to check if they have your size ,I know in december people who did ED for BMW Z4 had trouble to find tire that size .
Right now ,road are pretty nasty in europe .
I will say be prepared for snow until firt week of March .
Where are you going after the delivery ?
Good luck

Quick Reply: 2010 S4 european delivery experience