AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi Euro Delivery Program Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-euro-delivery-program-discussion-124/)
-   -   2018 Q5 Euro Delivery; Should I? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-euro-delivery-program-discussion-124/2018-q5-euro-delivery%3B-should-i-2918098/)

Darren Reed 04-10-2017 08:14 AM

2018 Q5 Euro Delivery; Should I?

So, I was considering doing ED on a 2018 Q5. Now, I am reading the 2018 Q5 is assembled in Mexico. Does that mean in order to do ED it would then have to be shipped to Germany, and back to North America (I live in the US)? Do I have that right?

I would love to do ED, but now that I'm thinking about this, it seems a little odd, and perhaps even irresponsible, to have a car shipped across the ocean twice when it could just ride on a truck or train up to Colorado where I live. Also worried about the potential for damage with all that extra shipping. Maybe I'm missing something. Any thoughts?

Darren Reed 04-10-2017 08:27 AM

Well, never mind, i found my answer. The Q5 is no longer eligible for ED. I think I was looking at an old brochure that listed it as eligible... found an up to date FAQ on audiusa.com and it is no longer eligible.

chicagoA6 04-10-2017 04:11 PM

I guess I didn't realize that about the Q5. That's too bad as its one of the volume leaders for US sales. That means a lot fewer EU deliveries. I think EU delivery is one of the best ways to build brand loyalty.

I've done EU delivery a couple times, but for our trip to Europe this year we are renting an S7 out of Munich. So if you still want to go to Europe and drive an Audi you can still do it

superswiss 04-10-2017 04:22 PM

Yep, one side effect of the US-spec Q5 no longer being made in Europe is that there is no longer the possibility of doing ED. Maybe they'll start offering Mexico Delivery :-), but they certainly won't ship the car to Germany from Mexico, so that you can drive it there for a couple of weeks just to be shipped back to North America. I don't know what BMW does for their X models, which are made in the USA. They might actually build the car in Europe if you do ED, because a friend of mine has done ED on an X3, or maybe the X3 was still being made in Europe at the time.

rikwynnpa 11-22-2017 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by superswiss (Post 24950521)
Yep, one side effect of the US-spec Q5 no longer being made in Europe is that there is no longer the possibility of doing ED. Maybe they'll start offering Mexico Delivery :-), but they certainly won't ship the car to Germany from Mexico, so that you can drive it there for a couple of weeks just to be shipped back to North America. I don't know what BMW does for their X models, which are made in the USA. They might actually build the car in Europe if you do ED, because a friend of mine has done ED on an X3, or maybe the X3 was still being made in Europe at the time.

BMW does the same. You cant take EU delivery on any of the SUVs made in Greenville Spartanburg which includes almost every SUV that BMW makes.

CarSwami 01-03-2018 02:01 AM

Mercedes has the same rules as BMW. You can do an ED on models that are built in Europe but not on models that are built in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. It makes sense when you think about it.

CarSwami