AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi Euro Delivery Program Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-euro-delivery-program-discussion-124/)
-   -   Driving questions (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-euro-delivery-program-discussion-124/driving-questions-2718600/)

ebusch 09-13-2007 09:29 AM

Driving questions

During my ED trip I plan on driving in Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, and Switzerland. Other than Germany, I've read that the other three require vignettes to be purchased to use their highway systems, and that they are available at gas stations, border crossings, and post offices. How does that actually work? Can you buy them ahead of time in Germany, or are they only available near the borders? If so, are there actual border stations to stop at, or do you just stop at the first (or last) gas station you see when crossing from one country to the next?

What about an international drivers permit, is one absolutely required? From what I've read it would seem to be at least for Austria.

Lastly, what about safety equipment? Does Audi provide everything you may need for your trip, such as a reflective vest, or do you need to obtain anything on your own?

K2audi 09-13-2007 01:47 PM

driving into the Czech Republic and Switzerland we just purchased them at the border. I was.......

told that it was just as easy to do it there which for us turned out to be true. I always made sure we had enough Euro's with us just in case they did not take credit cards, and if I remember right they did not.

I went and got an Int. D.L. which it turned out I never needed or used but wanted one just in case. If you do not plan on getting pulled over in Austrisa I would not worry but I usually like to be safe than sorry and it is nice to have a little piece of mind considering how easy it is to get and how inexpensive they are.

Audi equips you new car like they will be equipped here in the states so the warning triangle, first aid kit, and vest should be included. You may want to make sure this is all in the car before you leave the Audi Forum.

Don't forget to make it to the Gift shop up by the Delivery counter, they had some pretty cool Audi memorabilia and the Audi Exclusive boutique.

Gibber 09-14-2007 05:02 AM

Where do you get the Int DL?

ebusch 09-14-2007 06:06 AM

Re: AAA or NAC

BajanS4 09-14-2007 08:55 AM

Re: Driving questions

Yeah, I agree with K2, it's very easy to buy the autoroute stickers at the gas stations. We bought them for Austria and Switzerland, at the first convenient exit after entering the country, no problem. The Austrian sticker was cheap too (you can buy a 1 week pass).

cit1991 09-17-2007 10:53 AM

I got one

Thanks to you guys, I got an international driving permit. I didn't know it was mandatory for Austria.

I also do alot of driving in other countries on business trips, so it was a good idea anyway.

It's really easy. Download the form from AAA. Take it, $15, and two passport photos to the local AAA office. They filled it out right there, and I walked out with it.

I don't like hassles when traveling, and this is easy. It's way easier than getting a visa for countries that require them.