Audi Euro Delivery Program Discussion Discussion forum for Audi's Euro Delivery Program - questions & experiences

ED Pricing, dealer costs, and nav in Europe

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ED Pricing, dealer costs, and nav in Europe

Hi All! New member here, looking at doing an ED May next year (hopefully a 4.0 A8), some initial questions after perusing the forums here.

The pricing for the buyer is 3-5% under MSRP, does anyone know what the dealers actual costs are? I thought I read invoice -3%, but I can't find that post anymore, in trying to make some sort of "deal" it would be nice to know the dealer's actual costs.

Any update on using the nav in the car for ED? I keep seeing they give you a unit to borrow while in Europe, but I think the last post I saw was in 2011 for that topic.

I look forward to this process, V/r, Tim.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Dealer Resource Guide

Your assumption is correct. You can confirm if you can get the dealer to show you all of the Dealer Resource Guide for ED. I don't know what the invoice will say or how they compensate the salesman, but they get 3% back from Audi. The profit on an A8 averages 7% reduction from MSRP, not counting the 3%. The money may also be slow in coming (from Audi) so sales people are often unwilling to be flexible.

So far Audi is still sticking with the Garmin loaner unit and notes for drop offs at end of trip mention return Of the gps unit. This is notwithstanding BMW's policy of temporarily downloading European maps for ED customers. ' don't know about Mercedes. BMW also has no deductible insurance.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ortsofsorts
Your assumption is correct. You can confirm if you can get the dealer to show you all of the Dealer Resource Guide for ED. I don't know what the invoice will say or how they compensate the salesman, but they get 3% back from Audi. The profit on an A8 averages 7% reduction from MSRP, not counting the 3%. The money may also be slow in coming (from Audi) so sales people are often unwilling to be flexible.

So far Audi is still sticking with the Garmin loaner unit and notes for drop offs at end of trip mention return Of the gps unit. This is notwithstanding BMW's policy of temporarily downloading European maps for ED customers. ' don't know about Mercedes. BMW also has no deductible insurance.
Very good for post #8!
Almost everything covered.
Few points - many Audi ED drivers complain that Audi Garmin has 2-3 yr old map preloaded and some time show wrong road or exit.
Audi will pay one night hotel - you choose when you need on on arrival or departure. Audi will pick up you from Munich airport/Train station or hotel and take to Audi Forum.
One more thing regarding difference between Audi and BMW ED - for Audi ED car you have to write check for VAT Tax - 19% of what you pay for your car. When you drop off your car and return to US - they will return your money back. Some user reported that dealer cash check next day.

Last edited by TIME89; 08-25-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Good to know

Hi Orts and Time, thanks for the info, definitely some differences between the two, I'm still confused why they deal only off MSRP and not invoice? Are the dealer's hands really tied, or can they deal any way they want since Audi ED price is a suggestion? Some thoughts on how I can move the price down...
Old 08-27-2012, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Popoemt
Hi Orts and Time, thanks for the info, definitely some differences between the two, I'm still confused why they deal only off MSRP and not invoice? Are the dealer's hands really tied, or can they deal any way they want since Audi ED price is a suggestion? Some thoughts on how I can move the price down...
This is between you and your dealer.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Popoemt
If there's more than one Audi dealer in the Bay area, you might get them bidding against each other.
Or you might see what a BMW dealer could do for you, and let them know that.
Or you might just make them a counteroffer and see what they come back with.

Whether or not they SAY they are working from MSRP or invoice, or any other number, they are targeting a certain profit on the transaction. Regardless of whether you say you are working from invoice, or some other number, you are targeting a certain cost to you.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just returned from my second Audi ED -- so here's up-to-date info.

Audi will give you a loaner Garmin because your car's NAV system will not work in Europe. The loaner Garmin is not very good -- right out of the factory it put me onto a dead-end road!

While it will display what it thinks is the local speed limit, do not believe it. I found it to be too high on some roads, too low on others.

As for the discount, it's off the MSRP. I used two different dealers for my ED programs, and both insisted on the set percentage discount off MSRP and not a penny more.

Be sure to ask for safety vests for each person who may occupy the car with you -- it's now the law in several countries, and you'd better have those vests or you could be fined. If your route will take you into France, be aware that France now requires that a breathalyzer be on board. It just went into effect, so there's a brief grace or warning period, but that should be over by early next year. If you're going into Austria, be sure to stop at a gas station before crossing the border and get your highway decal -- it's a toll pass good for the time period you specify.

Hope that's helpful.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Audi-X2
If you're going into Austria, be sure to stop at a gas station before crossing the border and get your highway decal -- it's a toll pass good for the time period you specify.

Hope that's helpful.
Same for Switzerland, only for Swiss they force you to buy for full year, where Austria let get 2 weeks sticker. I also read on BMW forum, that France now require extra pair of prescription glasses (if you wearing one) .
Old 08-28-2012, 07:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Breathalyzer in France?

Originally Posted by Audi-X2
I just returned from my second Audi ED -- so here's up-to-date info.

Audi will give you a loaner Garmin because your car's NAV system will not work in Europe. The loaner Garmin is not very good -- right out of the factory it put me onto a dead-end road!

While it will display what it thinks is the local speed limit, do not believe it. I found it to be too high on some roads, too low on others.

As for the discount, it's off the MSRP. I used two different dealers for my ED programs, and both insisted on the set percentage discount off MSRP and not a penny more.

Be sure to ask for safety vests for each person who may occupy the car with you -- it's now the law in several countries, and you'd better have those vests or you could be fined. If your route will take you into France, be aware that France now requires that a breathalyzer be on board. It just went into effect, so there's a brief grace or warning period, but that should be over by early next year. If you're going into Austria, be sure to stop at a gas station before crossing the border and get your highway decal -- it's a toll pass good for the time period you specify.

Hope that's helpful.
X-2
Hope you had fun, fun, fun--post a full report.

I'm interested that you got the "percentage discount and no more" treatment. We did too, and until now I wondered if I just didn't do enough negotiating.

I'm also very interested in the breathalyzer requirement in France--my wife works with DUI offenders. Do you have any more specific information on that or websites where it's spelled out? English info is best, but I can read some French.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by kgall
X-2
Hope you had fun, fun, fun--post a full report.

I'm interested that you got the "percentage discount and no more" treatment. We did too, and until now I wondered if I just didn't do enough negotiating.

I'm also very interested in the breathalyzer requirement in France--my wife works with DUI offenders. Do you have any more specific information on that or websites where it's spelled out? English info is best, but I can read some French.
Link

French news in English

The requirement for a breathalyzer in France affects everyone driving there and goes into effect on July 1st, but won't be enforced until November 1st. You will be able to purchase a single use unit for less than 2 Euros.

The requirement for a Fire Extinguisher in Belgium only applies to cars registered there, it is not required for visitors. This has been in effect since October 2010.

Quick Reply: ED Pricing, dealer costs, and nav in Europe